Simple problem, but having a bit of trouble

• Thread starter ramin86
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Bit
In summary, the conversation discussed a 14.0 kg block being dragged over a rough, horizontal surface by a 87.0 N force acting at 20.0° above the horizontal. The block is displaced 6.50 m and has a coefficient of kinetic friction of 0.300. The work done on the block by the normal force is not equal to the weight of the object, but rather depends on the applied force and its angle. The work done by gravity is equal to the change in gravitational potential energy. In parts (b) and (c), it is important to remember that a force only does work if it causes displacement in the same direction. The work done by friction can be found by finding the work done
ramin86
A 14.0 kg block is dragged over a rough, horizontal surface by a 87.0 N force acting at 20.0° above the horizontal. The block is displaced 6.50 m, and the coefficient of kinetic friction is 0.300.

(b) Find the work done on the block by the normal force.
J
(c) Find the work done on the block by the gravitational force.
J

I thought normal force was mg which turned out wrong.

For gravitational force, I tried force times delta r times cos theta, but that also turned out wrong as well.

Physics news on Phys.org
[tex]W = Fdcos(\theta)[/tex]
What is the displacement in the direction of both of those forces? Think about it another way. The work is equal to the change in potential energy.

Last edited by a moderator:
hmm...

not sure of what u mean lol

The magnitude of the work done by gravity is equal to the magnitude of the change in gravitational potential energy. I can't say anymore without flat out telling you :)

vsage said:
The magnitude of the work done by gravity is equal to the magnitude of the change in gravitational potential energy. I can't say anymore without flat out telling you :)

vsage, his problem says that the block is dragged over a rough, horizontal surface. Why should the change in gravitational potential energy enter into things at all? Is it not clearly zero, as is the answer to part c? Or is that what you were trying to get him to realize? It just seemed a roundabout way to attack the problem, that's all.

ramin, my two cents:

It's very important to realize that the normal force in any given problem is not always equal to the weight of the object. Granted, by Newton's third law, the ground should exert an upward force balancing the object's weight. However, what about the applied force? It is at an angle..., that means that some component of it is downward as well. How does this affect the normal force? Finally, what is the key point to remember in parts b and c? I'd say its that a force only does work if it causes some displacement in the same direction as it.

cepheid said:
vsage, his problem says that the block is dragged over a rough, horizontal surface. Why should the change in gravitational potential energy enter into things at all?
Because the question asked for the work done by gravity! vsage's suggestion is correct.
Is it not clearly zero, as is the answer to part c? Or is that what you were trying to get him to realize? It just seemed a roundabout way to attack the problem, that's all.
The point is to provide help and understanding, not just the answer! :smile:

It's very important to realize that the normal force in any given problem is not always equal to the weight of the object.
Right.
Granted, by Newton's third law, the ground should exert an upward force balancing the object's weight.
You mean Newton's 2nd law.
However, what about the applied force? It is at an angle..., that means that some component of it is downward as well. How does this affect the normal force?
In this example, the applied force has an upward component.
Finally, what is the key point to remember in parts b and c? I'd say its that a force only does work if it causes some displacement in the same direction as it.
Right! (As vsage tried to point out in his first post.)

lol...I had a feeling it was zero, but for some reason I thought it'd be simple then.

I'm having a problem with the rest of the question thought:

(d) What is increase in internal energy of the block-surface system due to friction?
J
(e) Find the total change in the block's energy.

Not sure what to do here, I'm guessing you have to add up all the energies.

ramin86 said:
(d) What is increase in internal energy of the block-surface system due to friction?
Find the work done against the frictional force.
(e) Find the total change in the block's energy.
Not sure what to do here, I'm guessing you have to add up all the energies.
Start by finding the work done by the applied force. Some of that work goes into the energy you found in part (d). What happens to the rest of it?

1. Why am I having trouble with a simple problem?

There could be a variety of reasons why you are having trouble with a simple problem. It could be due to a lack of understanding, not following the correct steps, or having incorrect assumptions. Take a step back and try to identify where the issue might be coming from.

2. How can I improve my problem-solving skills?

Problem-solving skills can be improved through practice and by approaching problems in a systematic and logical manner. It can also be helpful to seek feedback from others and to constantly challenge yourself with new and complex problems.

3. What are some common mistakes to avoid when solving problems?

Some common mistakes to avoid when solving problems include not reading or understanding the problem carefully, rushing through the steps without fully comprehending them, and not double-checking your work for errors. It's also important to avoid making assumptions and to approach the problem with an open mind.

4. How can I stay motivated when facing a difficult problem?

Staying motivated when faced with a difficult problem can be challenging. One strategy is to break the problem down into smaller, more manageable parts and celebrate each small victory. It can also be helpful to take breaks and come back to the problem with a fresh perspective.

5. How can I use creativity to solve a simple problem?

Creativity can be a powerful tool when solving problems. To use creativity, try thinking outside of the box and approaching the problem from different angles. You can also brainstorm and come up with multiple solutions before deciding on the best one. Don't be afraid to try new and unconventional methods.