Confused by E=ρ/ε0 in Conductors and Dielectrics?

In summary, the conversation is about confusion regarding the correct way to write the equation ▼. E=ρ/ε0 inside a dielectric body. The person mentions that they know that the correct way is to write ε instead of ε0, but is confused as to why the equation is written differently inside a conductor. Another person suggests using D instead of E when dealing with dielectrics and only converting to E at the end. The conversation ends with someone explaining that E=0 inside a conductor by definition.
neelakash
A little bit of confusion:

Is it not correct to write ▼. E=ρ/ε0 inside a dielectric body.
As far as I know we should write ε instead of ε0.[where ε=εr*ε0]
Then why do we write ▼. E=ρ/ε0 inside a conductor?

Physics news on Phys.org
Are the dimensions correct in this equation: E=ρ/ε0 ?
I don't think so since an electric field from a charge is given by:

E = q/(4 pi ε0 r²) and since q/r² is no a charge density.

This can also be looked at from physical point of view.

lalbatros said:
Are the dimensions correct in this equation: E=ρ/ε0 ?
I don't think so since an electric field from a charge is given by:

E = q/(4 pi ε0 r²) and since q/r² is no a charge density.

This can also be looked at from physical point of view.

He is referring to the differential form of Gauss' Law. I think you are not seeing the [itex]\nabla[/itex] in the OP, it seems to be black inverted triangle.

neelakash said:
A little bit of confusion:

Is it not correct to write ▼. E=ρ/ε0 inside a dielectric body.
As far as I know we should write ε instead of ε0.[where ε=εr*ε0]
Then why do we write ▼. E=ρ/ε0 inside a conductor?

When you deal with dielectrics, use D instead of E. This would be the most general form and will be true, even when you "simplify" it to the vacuum case. Only in the end do you need to do a quick conversion to E. This way, you don't have to worry about all your permitivity.

Zz.

When you deal with dielectrics, use D instead of E. This would be the most general form and will be true, even when you "simplify" it to the vacuum case. Only in the end do you need to do a quick conversion to E. This way, you don't have to worry about all your permitivity.

Yes!that is a way to avoid the uneasiness.

But my question is why I can write ▼. E=ρ/ε0 inside a conductor?

neelakash said:
But my question is why I can write ▼. E=ρ/ε0 inside a conductor?

Because BY DEFINITION, under an electrostatic condition, E=0 inside a conductor.

Zz.

1. What does the equation E=ρ/ε0 mean in relation to conductors and dielectrics?

The equation E=ρ/ε0 represents the electric field (E) inside a material, specifically in conductors and dielectrics. It shows the ratio of the charge density (ρ) to the permittivity of free space (ε0), which is a measure of how easily electric fields can pass through a material.

2. How does the equation E=ρ/ε0 differ for conductors and dielectrics?

In conductors, the charge density (ρ) is typically very high due to the presence of free electrons. This results in a very low electric field (E) inside the material. In dielectrics, the charge density is much lower and the electric field is able to pass through more easily, resulting in a higher electric field value.

3. Why is it important to understand the relationship between E, ρ, and ε0 in conductors and dielectrics?

Understanding this relationship is important in the study of electricity and magnetism, as it helps explain the behavior of electric fields in different materials. It also has practical applications, such as in the design of electronic devices and understanding the behavior of lightning strikes.

4. What is the significance of the permittivity of free space (ε0) in the equation E=ρ/ε0?

The permittivity of free space is a physical constant that represents the ability of a vacuum to support an electric field. It serves as a reference point for comparing the permittivity of other materials and plays a crucial role in determining the strength of the electric field inside a material.

5. How does the equation E=ρ/ε0 relate to the concept of capacitance?

The equation E=ρ/ε0 is directly related to the concept of capacitance, which is the ability of a material to store electric charge. The permittivity of free space is used to calculate the capacitance of a capacitor, which is a device that consists of two conductive plates separated by a dielectric material. The equation E=ρ/ε0 helps to explain how the electric field is affected by the presence of conductors and dielectrics in a capacitor.