What is the speed of light in miles per hour using dimensional analysis?

In summary: It's good practice for when you have to multiple numbers that are in scientific notation but not at all necessary for this problem.
jemjabella42
The speed of light is 2.99792458 x 10^8 meters/second. What is this speed in miles per hour? (There are 1609 meters in one mile).

I used dimensional analysis to get here:(2.99792458 x 10^8 meters/second) * (1 mile /1609 meters) * (3600 seconds / 1 hour)

My question is, what do I do with this next stepy: (2.99792458 x 10^8)(3600)

For some reason, scientific notation throws me off completely. Do I just enter this into a calculator from here or can I simplify this further?

Physics news on Phys.org
jemjabella42 said:
The speed of light is 2.99792458 x 10^8 meters/second. What is this speed in miles per hour? (There are 1609 meters in one mile).

I used dimensional analysis to get here:(2.99792458 x 10^8 meters/second) * (1 mile /1609 meters) * (3600 seconds / 1 hour)

You got it, just multiply everything out. As a check Google "speed of light miles per hour"

http://www.universetoday.com/38040/speed-of-light-in-mph/

jemjabella42 said:

My question is, what do I do with this next stepy: (2.99792458 x 10^8)(3600)

For some reason, scientific notation throws me off completely. Do I just enter this into a calculator from here or can I simplify this further?

You can but you're missing your miles to meters conversion.

Pengwuino said:
You can but you're missing your miles to meters conversion.

I didn't forget it in my notes.. I just forgot to type it out after simplifying. Basically, I'm stuck on what my next step should be from (2.99792458 x 10^8)(3600)/1609. Should I just type this into the calculator from here? Or is there additional simplification?

jemjabella42 said:
I didn't forget it in my notes.. I just forgot to type it out after simplifying. Basically, I'm stuck on what my next step should be from (2.99792458 x 10^8)(3600)/1609. Should I just type this into the calculator from here? Or is there additional simplification?

You're pretty much set to go. You can take it a step further and write it fully in scientific notation as

[itex]{{(2.99792458 \times 10^{8} {{meters}\over{second}})(3.6 \times 10^3{{seconds}\over{hour}})}\over{1.609 \times 10^{3}{{meters}\over{mile}}}}[/itex]

It's good practice for when you have to multiple numbers that are in scientific notation but not at all necessary for this problem. The good thing about writing it like this is that you can clearly see your answer should be on the order [itex]10^{8}[/itex] or so (within 1 or 2 powers of 10). Depending on how good you are with your calculator, it's easy to get a power of 10 put in the wrong place and your answer will be way off and you wouldn't notice it if you skimped on the scientific notation.

Last edited:

1. What is simple scientific notation?

Simple scientific notation is a way of representing numbers that are very large or very small in a concise and standardized format. It consists of two parts: a coefficient and an exponent.

2. How do you write a number in simple scientific notation?

To write a number in simple scientific notation, first identify the coefficient, which should be a number between 1 and 10. Then, count the number of decimal places between the original decimal point and the first non-zero digit. This number becomes the exponent, with a positive exponent representing a large number and a negative exponent representing a small number. Finally, write the coefficient followed by "x 10^exponent".

3. What is the purpose of simple scientific notation?

The purpose of simple scientific notation is to make it easier to work with very large or very small numbers. It also allows for a more concise and standardized representation of these numbers, making them easier to compare and understand.

4. How is simple scientific notation used in science?

In science, simple scientific notation is often used to represent numbers such as distances between planets, the mass of a proton, or the size of a molecule. It is also commonly used in scientific notation to express the results of calculations or measurements with a high degree of precision.

5. What are the advantages of using simple scientific notation?

There are several advantages to using simple scientific notation, including its ability to express very large or small numbers in a concise and standardized format, making it easier to compare and work with these numbers. It also allows for a more precise representation of numbers, reducing the potential for errors in calculations or measurements.