How can I simplify this Taylor expansion?

In summary, a simple Taylor expansion is a mathematical method for approximating a function using a polynomial. Its purpose is to approximate functions in situations where an exact solution is difficult or impossible to find, and it simplifies complex functions for further calculations. The key components include the function, the evaluation point, and the number of terms used in the polynomial. However, it has limitations such as only being accurate within a certain range of the chosen point and being less accurate as the distance from the point increases. It is also different from a Taylor series in that it includes a finite number of terms and is therefore less accurate but more computationally efficient.
ninevolt
I want to show this taylor expansion:

[tex]\frac{1}{\sqrt{1+{x}^{2}}} \rightarrow x^2[/tex]

what I keep getting is something to the x^3 could some one please help me with this simple expansion?

Mathematics news on Phys.org
(1+x^2)^-0.5
= 1-0.25(X^2) there is no x^3 okay

Related to How can I simplify this Taylor expansion?

What is a simple Taylor expansion?

A simple Taylor expansion is a mathematical method for approximating a function using a polynomial. It involves evaluating the function and its derivatives at a single point, and then using those values to create a polynomial representation of the function.

What is the purpose of a simple Taylor expansion?

The purpose of a simple Taylor expansion is to approximate a function in situations where it may be difficult or impossible to find an exact solution. It is also useful for simplifying complex functions into more manageable forms for further calculations.

What are the key components of a simple Taylor expansion?

The key components of a simple Taylor expansion include the function being approximated, the point at which the function is evaluated, and the number of terms used in the polynomial. The more terms that are included, the more accurate the approximation will be.

What are the limitations of a simple Taylor expansion?

A simple Taylor expansion can only approximate a function within a certain range of the chosen point. It may also only provide a good approximation for a limited number of terms, and the accuracy of the approximation decreases as the distance from the chosen point increases. Additionally, it may not be able to accurately approximate functions with discontinuities or singularities.

How is a simple Taylor expansion different from a Taylor series?

A simple Taylor expansion is a truncated version of a Taylor series, meaning it includes a finite number of terms. A Taylor series, on the other hand, includes an infinite number of terms and provides an exact representation of the function. A simple Taylor expansion is therefore less accurate but more computationally efficient.