Simple Trigonometric Substitution

In summary, the conversation discusses solving an integral with the equation \int \frac{4}{x^{2}\sqrt{81-x^{2}}} dx. The person uses the substitution x=asin\theta and simplifies the equation using a trigonometric identity. They then discuss getting stuck at \int \frac{4cos\theta}{81sin^2\theta} d\theta and eventually realize the solution is to use the variable u=sin\theta and find the antiderivative \int u^{-2}du. They also mention the existence of a simple antiderivative for \int\frac{1}{\sin^2\theta}d\theta.
tangibleLime

Homework Statement

[tex]\int \frac{4}{x^{2}\sqrt{81-x^{2}}} dx[/tex]

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Since the radical is of the form [tex]a^2-x^2[/tex], I'm using the substitution [tex]x=asin\theta[/tex].

[tex]x = 9sin\theta[/tex]

[tex]dx = 9cos\theta d\theta[/tex]​

Using this x value, I solved the radical and use the trig identity to replace 1-sin^2 with cos^2.

[tex]\sqrt{81-x^{2}}[/tex]

[tex]\sqrt{81 - (9sin\theta)^{2}}[/tex]

[tex]\sqrt{81(1-sin^2\theta)}[/tex]

[tex]\sqrt{81cos^2\theta)}[/tex]

[tex]9cos\theta[/tex]​

Then I threw everything back into my original integral.

[tex]\int \frac{36cos\theta}{81sin^2\theta9cos\theta} d\theta[/tex]​

Canceling and simplifying...

[tex]\int \frac{4cos\theta}{81sin^2\theta} d\theta[/tex]

This is where I get lost. I don't think I'm on the right track. I've watched several demonstrations of this kind of problem, and they all work out much better than this. Usually, I think, because there's a 1 on top instead of a 4. Any hints would be great.

Physics news on Phys.org
?? 4 instead of 1? They are both constants- take them out of the integral!

What you have at the end is a standard, simple integral- it has an odd power of cosine.

Let [itex]u= sin(\theta)[/itex]. Then [itex]du= cos(\theta)d\theta[/itex] and your integral becomes
[tex]\frac{4}{81}\int u^{-2}du[/tex]

Oh cripes, thanks. This is what starts happening when I don't sleep 0_0

I don't see how you get from your second last to your last line. Why didn't you cancel the [tex]\cos\theta[/tex]
Otherwise it would be very strange. By changing variables to sin and back you get rid of the root with nothing but scaling.

And if you want to integrate [tex]\int\frac{1}{\sin^2\theta}d\theta[/tex]. There is an easy antiderivative for this.

1. What is Simple Trigonometric Substitution?

Simple Trigonometric Substitution is a technique used in calculus to simplify integrals involving trigonometric functions. It involves substituting a trigonometric expression for a variable in the integral, which can make the integral easier to solve.

2. When do you use Simple Trigonometric Substitution?

Simple Trigonometric Substitution is used when solving integrals that involve expressions of the form √(a² - x²) or √(x² + a²), where a is a constant. These types of integrals can be simplified using trigonometric identities and the substitution of trigonometric functions for variables.

3. What are the common trigonometric substitutions used?

The most common trigonometric substitutions used are:
1. x = a sinθ
2. x = a cosθ
3. x = a tanθ

4. How do you know which trigonometric substitution to use?

The choice of trigonometric substitution depends on the form of the expression in the integral. If the expression is in the form √(a² - x²), then x = a sinθ or x = a cosθ can be used. If the expression is in the form √(x² + a²), then x = a tanθ can be used.

5. What are the steps to solving an integral using Simple Trigonometric Substitution?

The steps to solving an integral using Simple Trigonometric Substitution are:
1. Identify the form of the expression in the integral.
2. Choose the appropriate trigonometric substitution.
3. Substitute the trigonometric expression for the variable in the integral.
4. Use trigonometric identities to simplify the integral.
5. Solve the resulting integral.
6. Substitute back the original variable to get the final solution.