What is the Velocity Function for a Car Slowing at a Uniform Rate?

In summary, the position of a car being slowed at a uniform rate is given by the equation s(t) = 25t - 5.25t^2, where s is the displacement of the car and t is the time in seconds after braking began. To find the velocity function, the equation is differentiated, resulting in v(t) = 25 - 10.5t. However, the answer given is v(t) = 25 - 11t, possibly due to rounding. When the velocity is 0, the car has come to a stop, so t = 25/11.
Discalculiate
The position of a car that is being slowed at a uniform rate is given by:
s(t) = 25t - 5.25t^2
where s is the displacement of the car from the point at which braking began and t is the
time in seconds after braking began. Find the velocity function for the car, including
its domain.

The answer is v(t) = 25 -11t 0 < or equal to t < or equal to 25/11

I assume I need to find the value of t first, then take a derivative, but I'm not sure
how to get t by itself
0 = 25t - 5.25t^2
5.25t^2 = 25t
and then I don't know what to do.

Physics news on Phys.org
I may be wrong here, someone correct me if I am.

I think since s(t) is the position of the car, simply differentiating the equation will give you the v(t), velocity of the car with respect to time.

Thus, v(t) = 25-10.5t

I'm not sure how the answer is v(t) = 25-11t
Maybe the original problem was written incorrectly and should have been s(t)=25t-5.5t^2?

Hopefully I helped...

Ohh, thanks!
I think maybe he might have rounded? That's probably it, but I don't know why.

so if v(t) = 25 - 11t
then when the velocity is 0, the car has come to a stop so
0 = 25 - 11t
11t = 25
so t = 25/11

yup. no problem.

What is a simple velocity function?

A simple velocity function is a mathematical representation of the rate of change of an object's position with respect to time. It is typically denoted as v(t) or ƒ(t) and is measured in units of distance per time (such as meters per second or feet per hour).

How is a simple velocity function different from a complex velocity function?

A simple velocity function only takes into account the object's speed and direction, while a complex velocity function may also consider factors such as acceleration and changes in direction. Simple velocity functions are often used in basic physics problems, while complex velocity functions are more commonly used in advanced physics and engineering applications.

How do you calculate a simple velocity function?

A simple velocity function can be calculated by dividing the change in position (Δx) by the change in time (Δt) between two points on an object's path. This can be represented as v = Δx/Δt. Alternatively, if the object's position is given as a function of time (x(t)), the velocity function can be found by taking the derivative of the position function with respect to time, or v(t) = dx/dt.

Can a simple velocity function be negative?

Yes, a simple velocity function can be negative if the object is moving in the negative direction (opposite to the direction of the positive axis) or if it is slowing down. A negative velocity indicates that the object's position is decreasing with respect to time.

What are some real-world applications of simple velocity functions?

Simple velocity functions are used in a variety of real-world applications, including motion sensors, GPS navigation systems, and physics simulations. They can also be used to analyze the motion of objects in sports, such as calculating the speed of a baseball or the velocity of a race car.