Calculating Potential Difference in a Uniform Electric Field

• Thread starter exitwound
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Voltage
In summary, a force of 0.053 N is required to move a charge of 37 mC a distance of 25 cm in an electric field.
exitwound

Homework Statement

A force of 0.053 N is required to move a charge of 37 mC a distance of 25 cm in an electric field. What is the size of the potential difference between the two points?

Homework Equations

[tex]V_f-V_i=\int \vec{E} \cdot d\vec{S}[/tex]
[tex]E=\frac{F}{q}[/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

[tex]V_f-V_i=\int \vec{E} \cdot d\vec{S}[/tex]
[tex]\Delta V=Ed[/tex]
[tex]\Delta V=\frac{Fd}{q}[/tex]
[tex]\Delta V=\frac{(.053)(.25)}{37e^-3}= .358 V[/tex]

However, the answer sheet says 360V. Am I missing something stupid? I assume it's a constant electric field and the particle is being moved along the field lines.

Physics news on Phys.org
Are you sure it is 37 mC and not 37 μC?

37 mC = 37x10-3 C

37 μC = 37x10-6 C

The second choice gives an answer that is 1000 times the answer of the first choice. Just the factor you need.

Yeah. I copied/pasted it directly from the homework sheet. It says "mC" which I took as 10^-3.

So I was on the right track though...

The only other thing I can think of is whether you got the units of the answer right. Is it perhaps 360 mV? If it is actually 360 V, my last suggestion is that you ask the person who assigned this problem to you for clarification. I cannot find fault with your solution.

I see. Sometimes wrong answers are posted. I have seen physics textbooks with as many as 14% incorrect answers in the back of the book.

Since you are doing this for practice, rest assured that your solution is correct and that you know how to handle this type of problem, so move on.
:approve:

1. What is voltage?

Voltage, also known as electric potential difference, is the measure of the amount of electrical energy that is carried by an electric current. It is measured in volts (V).

2. How is voltage different from current?

Voltage and current are two different properties of electricity. Voltage is the measure of electrical potential difference, while current is the measure of the flow of electrical charge. In other words, voltage is the driving force that causes current to flow.

3. How is voltage measured?

Voltage is typically measured using a voltmeter, which is a device that measures the difference in electric potential between two points in a circuit. The unit of measurement for voltage is volts (V).

4. What is a simple voltage question?

A simple voltage question is a question that relates to the basic concepts of voltage, such as its definition, measurement, and relationship to current. It is often used to test a person's understanding of fundamental electrical principles.

5. Why is voltage important?

Voltage is an important concept in electricity because it is the driving force behind the flow of electrical current. It is necessary for the operation of many electrical devices and is a crucial factor in the design and functioning of electrical systems.