Simplest Way of finding zeros of cubic eq when rational roots test fails

In summary, to find the zeros of the cubic equation y = x^3 -9x^2 + 15x + 30, one can use Ruffini's method, Newton's method, or bisection method. Graphing the function can also provide initial guesses for Newton's method. It was also mentioned that there is only one real root for this equation. Methods such as finding the extreme values of the derivative and observing the behavior as x->+/-infinity can also determine the number of real roots.
aeromat

Homework Statement

Find the zeros of the cubic equation:
[tex]y = x^3 -9x^2 + 15x + 30[/tex]

How do we find the zeros of this? In this case, subbing in x-values that will make it equal 0 does not work.

Physics news on Phys.org
Well, for this one, you're either going to have to solve the (extremely complicated) cubic equation or use Newton's Method, because there isn't an integer or rational number that will solve this equation for y=0.

Plotting the function is a good idea as well. At the least, you can obtain initial guesses to use with Newton's method.

I would probably suggest using Newton's method (or bisection method if you can find a positive function value and a negative function value) Once you've found the first root, take f(x)/(x-r), where r is the root. This will roughly yield a quadratic and you can use the quadratic formula to find the remaining two roots.

gb7nash said:
I would probably suggest using Newton's method (or bisection method if you can find a positive function value and a negative function value) Once you've found the first root, take f(x)/(x-r), where r is the root. This will yield a quadratic and you can use the quadratic formula to find the remaining two roots.

If he's restricting himself to real numbers, there ARE no other roots. Just the one.

I'm missing something here. How do we know there's only one real root?

Oh, sorry. I graphed it first, to get an impression of where the roots were.

Cheater. :tongue:

Real mathematicians use pictures! :biggrin:

gb7nash said:
I'm missing something here. How do we know there's only one real root?

You can also conclude there is only one root by looking at the derivative and finding the extreme values plus knowing the behavior as x->+/-infinity. Which is basically 'graphing it' without a calculator. Hence, not cheating.

Dick said:
You can also conclude there is only one root by looking at the derivative and finding the extreme values plus knowing the behavior as x->+/-infinity. Which is basically 'graphing it' without a calculator. Hence, not cheating.

Good call. This is a good method.

Uh.. That was the first time I ever heard any of those methods, so could anyone give me a few pointers just to show how I start off with one of the methods above?

Well, Newton's method is given as such: given a guess x0 as to where the root of a function f(x) is, then...

[tex]x_1 = x_0 - \frac{f(x_0)}{f'(x_0)}[/tex]

x1 is a better guess, and x2 will be a better guess than x1, and so on.

NOTE: With an initial guess close to the answer, you can get a very good approximation after only two or three iterations of this. For example, in this problem, an initial guess of x0=-1 will get you a very good approximation in three iterations.

Last edited:
If you don't know numerical techniques and you are good with a calculator or computer program there is nothing wrong with bisection either. If f(x)=x^3−9x^2+15x+30 then f(-2) is negative and f(0) is positive. That means there is a root in between. Check the mean at (-2+0)/2=(-1). Depending on the sign of f(-1) keep splitting the interval in half until you get whatever precision you want. You'll never get it exact, but do you need to?

Last edited:

1. What is the "simplest way" to find zeros of a cubic equation when the rational roots test fails?

The simplest way to find zeros of a cubic equation when the rational roots test fails is by using the graphing method. This involves plotting the equation on a graph and visually determining the x-intercepts, which represent the zeros of the equation.

2. Can the graphing method be used for all cubic equations?

Yes, the graphing method can be used for all cubic equations. However, it may not always be the most efficient or accurate method. Other methods such as the factoring method or the Newton-Raphson method may be more suitable depending on the specific equation.

3. What if the cubic equation has complex roots? Can the graphing method still be used?

Yes, the graphing method can still be used for cubic equations with complex roots. However, the graph may be more difficult to interpret and additional calculations may be needed to determine the exact values of the complex roots.

4. Are there any limitations to the graphing method for finding zeros of cubic equations?

One limitation of the graphing method is that it may not be accurate for equations with multiple or repeated roots. In these cases, other methods such as the quadratic formula or the Cubic Formula may be more effective.

5. Can technology be used to assist with the graphing method?

Yes, technology such as graphing calculators or online graphing tools can be used to plot the equation and determine the x-intercepts. This can make the process more efficient and accurate.