Simplify definite integral formula

In summary, the conversation is about a problem with an integral that involves values of N1, sigma_x, and tau_y. The individual has attempted to simplify the formula but is having trouble getting the same result as in the book. They have tried long division and factoring, but are still struggling. Finally, with the help of the expert, they were able to successfully factor the equation and resolve the issue.
jvo

Homework Statement

Working my way through Zienkiewicz's "FEM its basis & fundamentals" I am stuck on the following example:
[itex]
- \int_{y_1}^{y_2} t N1 \left\{ \begin{array}{c} \sigma_x \\ \tau_y \end{array} \right\} dy =
-\left\{ \begin{array}{c} k_x t (2 y_1 + y_2) (y_2 - y_1) / 6 \\ 0 \end{array} \right\}
[/itex]

with values:
[itex] N1 = \frac{ y_2 - y }{ y_2 - y_1 } [/itex]
[itex] \sigma_x = k_x y [/itex]
and [itex] \tau_y = 0 [/itex]

Homework Equations

n/a

The Attempt at a Solution

My result for the above integral is: [itex] k_x t \frac{ y_2^3 - 3 y_2 y_1^2 + 2 y_1^3 }{6 (y_2 - y_1)} [/itex]

Tried to simplify the formula by dividing by (y2 - y1) and (y2-y1)^2 but I don't see how to get to the same result as in the book. What am I doing wrong here?
For more detail, see the attachments with the page from the book and my results.
Thanks in advance.
Jo

Attachments

• Scan_img_FEM_2.2_023.jpg
    Scan_img_FEM_2.2_023.jpg
    36.5 KB · Views: 454
  • Scan_img_FEM_2.2_024.jpg
    Scan_img_FEM_2.2_024.jpg
    10.8 KB · Views: 458
Physics news on Phys.org
jvo said:

Homework Statement

Working my way through Zienkiewicz's "FEM its basis & fundamentals" I am stuck on the following example:
[itex]
- \int_{y_1}^{y_2} t N1 \left\{ \begin{array}{c} \sigma_x \\ \tau_y \end{array} \right\} dy =
-\left\{ \begin{array}{c} k_x t (2 y_1 + y_2) (y_2 - y_1) / 6 \\ 0 \end{array} \right\}
[/itex]

with values:
[itex] N1 = \frac{ y_2 - y }{ y_2 - y_1 } [/itex]
[itex] \sigma_x = k_x y [/itex]
and [itex] \tau_y = 0 [/itex]

Homework Equations

n/a

The Attempt at a Solution

My result for the above integral is: [itex] k_x t \frac{ y_2^3 - 3 y_2 y_1^2 + 2 y_1^3 }{6 (y_2 - y_1)} [/itex]

Tried to simplify the formula by dividing by (y2 - y1) and (y2-y1)^2 but I don't see how to get to the same result as in the book. What am I doing wrong here?
For more detail, see the attachments with the page from the book and my results.
Thanks in advance.
Jo

It is the same thing as in the book. [itex]y_2^3 - 3 y_2 y_1^2 + 2 y_1^3=(2 y_1 + y_2) (y_2 - y_1)^2[/itex]. You just have to figure out how to factor the numerator.

Thanks for your reply but I still don't see how to get there. Can you give a hint on how to approach this? As said in my post I tried long division by [itex] (y_2 - y_1) [/itex] and [itex] (y_2 - y_1)^2 [/itex] but don't get even near your factored result.
I know factoring quadratics and checked 'recipes' as given here: http://www.analyzemath.com/polynomials/factor_polynomials.html
It's selfstudy, not homework. I realize missing something essential here, but what is it?
Tia,
Jo

PS this is a scan of some long division trials: http://utopia.knoware.nl/~jovo/images/Scan_img_026.jpg

Last edited:
jvo said:
Thanks for your reply but I still don't see how to get there. Can you give a hint on how to approach this? As said in my post I tried long division by [itex] (y_2 - y_1) [/itex] and [itex] (y_2 - y_1)^2 [/itex] but don't get even near your factored result.
I know factoring quadratics and checked 'recipes' as given here: http://www.analyzemath.com/polynomials/factor_polynomials.html
It's selfstudy, not homework. I realize missing something essential here, but what is it?
Tia,
Jo

PS this is a scan of some long division trials: http://utopia.knoware.nl/~jovo/images/Scan_img_026.jpg

You started off ok on the first trial. [itex]y_2^2[/itex] is good for the first term. Now keep the rest ordered in decending powers of [itex]y_2[/itex]. So what you bring down after the first subtraction is [itex]y_2^2 y_1 - 3 y_2 y_1^2[/itex]. Your next term in the quotient should be dividing [itex]y_2[/itex] into [itex]y_2^2 y_1[/itex] (the higher [itex]y_2[/itex] power term). Or [itex]y_2 y_1[/itex]. Try it that way. It does divide evenly.

Last edited:
I got it! Thank you for your excellent help.
My new year's resolution is to practice factoring more :-)
Regards,
Jo

What is a definite integral formula and why is it important?

A definite integral formula is a mathematical expression used to calculate the area under a curve. It is important because it allows us to find the exact value of an integral and solve a variety of real-world problems, such as finding the distance traveled by an object or the total amount of material needed to make a certain shape.

How do you simplify a definite integral formula?

To simplify a definite integral formula, you can use various techniques such as substitution, integration by parts, or trigonometric identities. It is also helpful to use properties of integrals, such as linearity and the power rule, to simplify the expression before solving it.

What are the common mistakes to avoid when simplifying a definite integral formula?

Some common mistakes to avoid when simplifying a definite integral formula include forgetting to change the variables in a substitution, applying the power rule incorrectly, and forgetting to include the constant of integration when solving the integral. It is also important to double-check your work and make sure all steps are accurate.

How do you know when to use a definite integral formula?

A definite integral formula is typically used when you need to find the area under a curve or the value of an integral over a specific interval. It can also be used to solve optimization problems, find the volume of a solid, or calculate the average value of a function.

Can definite integral formulas be used for functions with multiple variables?

No, definite integral formulas are specifically designed for functions with a single variable. For functions with multiple variables, you would need to use a multivariable integral formula, which involves integrating over a region in a multidimensional space.