1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Simplify (Lnx)^2,3,4,5 etc.

1. Mar 6, 2012 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Im trying to simply (lnx)^n say (ln2)^3

2. Relevant equations

?

3. The attempt at a solution

Im lost on this one I can't find any information. All info I'm finding is dilute because of similar search terms.

Please, and thanks!

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 6, 2012 #2
    There's no way to simplify it in the form you have? Are you sure it isn't meant to be read as ln(x^n) Where the exponent is in the natural log? If so, the rules of logarithms tell us that we can move the n to the front and write it as n*ln(x). So, how would this look for say ln(2^3)?

4. Mar 6, 2012 #3
    no its (ln2)^4 not ln2^4=4ln2 solving this I believe involves setting it equal to σ or some variable and then exponentiating using e. Although I could be completely wrong. I know this can be simplified and solve because my professor did it in class, I just can't find my notes from that day.

5. Mar 6, 2012 #4
    Well, letting (ln2)^4 and trying to solve for say 2 here, we'd have to involve a 4th root:

Two solutions (for even roots):
    ln2 = 4-root(y) and ln2 = -4-root(y)

So now, we can use e as:

2=e^(4-root(y)) and 2=e^(-4-root(y))=1/e^(4-root(y))

And of of course for odd roots it isn't necessary.

Does this look similar?

6. Mar 6, 2012 #5
    I think I'm following you've if 4-root(y) means y1/4. Regardless that doesn't look right? Thanks for the interest though :). We should be able to get a concrete answer like 16ln2 or something if i remember correctly!

7. Mar 6, 2012 #6

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

No, ln(x)^n is just ln(x)^n. ln(x^n)=n*ln(x), but that's not what you are asking about.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook