How can complex numbers be simplified?

In summary, the problem is to find the angle between two vectors, and the Attempt at a Solution suggests using de Moivre's theorem.
Physicsissuef

Homework Statement

Simplify [itex](1+i\sqrt{2})^5-(1-i\sqrt{2})^5[/itex]

Homework Equations

[tex]z=a+bi[/tex]

[tex]z=r(cos\varphi+isin\varphi)[/tex]

[tex]tg\varphi=\frac{b}{a}[/tex]

[tex]r=\sqrt{a^2+b^2}[/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

[tex](\sqrt{3}(arccos\frac{\sqrt{3}}{3}+iarcsin\frac{\sqrt{6}}{3}))^5-(\sqrt{3}(arccos\frac{\sqrt{3}}{3}+iarcsin\frac{-\sqrt{6}}{3}))^5
[/tex]
How will I get integer angle out of here?

[tex]arccos\frac{\sqrt{3}}{3} \approx 54.74^\circ[/tex]

[tex]arcsin\frac{\sqrt{-6}}{3} \approx -54.74^\circ [/tex]

Physics news on Phys.org
Yes, I know de Moivre's theorem, but I don't know how will I get integer at the end...

Why do you need an integer at the end? Is this a part of the question that hasn't been specified? ?

Ok.

[tex]\sqrt{3^5}(cos5*54.74^\circ+isin5*54.74^\circ)-\sqrt{3^5}(cos5*54.74^\circ-isin5*54.74^\circ)[/tex]

[tex]9\sqrt{3}(0.065-0.997i)-9\sqrt{3}(0.065+0.997i)=9\sqrt{3}(0.065-0.997i-0.065-0.997i)=9\sqrt{3}(-2*0.997i)=-i17.946\sqrt{3} \approx -31.08i[/tex]

And in my textbook results: [itex]-22i\sqrt{2}[/itex], we both get same result, but the question is how they get integer numbers?

I can think of one possible way to get that: Expand the complex numbers out by binomial theorem and then simplify the expression. This would be very tedious, no doubt.

Defennder, I know that I can solve it like that, but it is far more complicated, and the possibility that you may miss some value is very big...

I think it was be best to put the two complex numbers into exponential form for the powers and then convert back to Cartesian to perform the subtraction.

Physicsissuef said:
Simplify [itex](1+i\sqrt{2})^5-(1-i\sqrt{2})^5[/itex]

Oh come on, guys! :rolleyes:

:smile: (a + b)^5 - (a - b)^5 = … ? :smile:

By binom formula?

Have you tried it?

Well actually he's asking for a quicker way to get the answer in terms of radicals apart from the binomial theorem or de Moivre's theorem

tiny-tim said:
Oh come on, guys! :rolleyes:

Tiny Tim is right to point this out. But the explanation for a general rule of a difference of this sort is in line, for learning purposes of course ;)

If you have an equation of the above kind e.g. (a+b)^n - (a-b)^n , an expansion shows that there will be n+1 terms for (a+b)^n and (a-b)^n. The difference of the two, however, eliminates all but the even terms: for these terms, the coefficients are doubled.
Let's look at an easier example, (a+b)^3 - (a-b)^3 .
Using the binomial theorem (by writing the coefficients as they would appear in Pascale's triangle and by ordering terms by increasing exponents of b and decreasing of a) we get

[a^3 + 3(a^2)(b)+3(a)(b^2) + b^2] - [a^3 - 3(a^2)(b)+3(a)(b^2) -b^3]
= 6 (a^2)(b)+ 2 b^3

As you can see, this is just twice the even-numbered terms in the expansion of (a+b)^3.
The case for (a+b)^5 is analogous.

This is a succinct way of arriving at the result.

Ahh... I understand now. So I should also use the binom formula, right?

Theofilius said:
Ahh... I understand now. So I should also use the binom formula, right?
tiny-tim said:
Theofilius , you keep answering questions with a question …
tiny-tim said:
:smile: … and don't answer with a question … ! :smile:

[tex]-22i\sqrt{2}[/tex]. :smile: I know that, but I should have do that with De Moivre's formula.

Theofilius said:
[tex]-22i\sqrt{2}[/tex]. :smile:.

erm … no.
… I know that, but I should have do that with De Moivre's formula

eh? … but this is Physicsissuef's question, not yours! :confused:

What makes you think he has to use de Moivre?

Since I have same problem in my book. And I solve it correctly, why you say no?

Yes, since logically we need to solve this problem as simple as possible, but no problem.

oops! it is -22i√2. Sorry! :redface:

If you must do it by de Moivre, just put (1 + i√2) = r(cosθ + i sinθ), but leave putting the numbers in until the end.

Then you want r^5[(cos5θ + i sin5θ) - (cos5θ - i sin5θ)], = 2 i r^5 sin5θ.

You know r = √3, and tanθ = √2, so it's fairly easy to work out from that what sin5θ is. :smile:

(But the binomial method is probably a more straightforward way of calculating sin5θ, sin 7θ, etc)

What are complex numbers?

Complex numbers are numbers that have both a real and an imaginary component. They are written in the form a + bi, where a is the real part and bi is the imaginary part, with i being the imaginary unit (sqrt(-1)).

Why do we need to simplify complex numbers?

Simplifying complex numbers allows us to express them in a more concise and standard form. It also makes it easier to perform operations on complex numbers and to compare them with other numbers.

How do you simplify a complex number?

To simplify a complex number, you first need to combine like terms. Then, you can use the distributive property to remove parentheses. Finally, you can combine the real and imaginary parts to get the simplified form.

What is the standard form of a complex number?

The standard form of a complex number is a + bi, where a and b are real numbers. The real part, a, is written first, followed by the imaginary part, bi, where i is the imaginary unit. The imaginary part is usually written with a coefficient of 1, but it can also have any real coefficient.

Can complex numbers be simplified to a real number?

Yes, if the imaginary part of the complex number is equal to 0, then the complex number can be simplified to a real number. The real number would simply be the real part of the complex number.