Simplifying Complex Resistor Circuits

In summary, the parallel/series combination for the resistors would be: 10 Ω in parallel with 7 Ω and 23.3 Ω in series.
jey1234
Simplifying "Complex" Resistor Circuits

Homework Statement

Question 1:

I have an E&M test coming up and I'm having trouble simplifying complex circuits. Our teacher told us something about "pinching" the wires which I didn't really understand. I found the following link "http://www.allaboutcircuits.com/vol_1/chpt_7/3.html". I got the right solution for the homework problem using it but is this method reliable? Does it always work? Are there any other suggestions for tackling this type of problems?

Question 2

The attached problem is from homework. The question is what would an ohmmeter read between a and b. I don't understand these questions much. I simplified it to what is shown in the second attached image without much trouble. Now my intuition tells me that I should add these three remaining resistors (in series) and that's the answer (40.3 Ω) but that's apparently wrong. My teacher says that I should add the 7 Ω and 23.3 Ω together (in series). Then take the resulting 30.3 Ω resistor and add it with the 10 Ω (in parallel) and that gives 7.5 Ω, which is the correct answer. Can someone explain this to me please?

Please excuse the weird looking lines in the diagrams. I'm new to Visio. Thanks.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Attached.

Attachments

• Problem.jpg
    Problem.jpg
    14.3 KB · Views: 1,696
  • Problem (Partially Solved).jpg
    Problem (Partially Solved).jpg
    8 KB · Views: 1,309
Physics news on Phys.org

Relative to points a and b, what is the parallel/series configuration? Don't get hung up on the particular way you have DRAWN them ... that is irrelevant. Follow the wires.

phinds said:
Relative to points a and b, what is the parallel/series configuration? Don't get hung up on the particular way you have DRAWN them ... that is irrelevant. Follow the wires.

Could you please elaborate? Thanks.

Not really. Redraw the circuit based on points a and b, not on some arbtrary configuration and maybe you'll see it.

jey1234 said:

Homework Statement

Question 1:

I have an E&M test coming up and I'm having trouble simplifying complex circuits. Our teacher told us something about "pinching" the wires which I didn't really understand. I found the following link "http://www.allaboutcircuits.com/vol_1/chpt_7/3.html". I got the right solution for the homework problem using it but is this method reliable? Does it always work? Are there any other suggestions for tackling this type of problems?

Question 2

The attached problem is from homework. The question is what would an ohmmeter read between a and b. I don't understand these questions much. I simplified it to what is shown in the second attached image without much trouble. Now my intuition tells me that I should add these three remaining resistors (in series) and that's the answer (40.3 Ω) but that's apparently wrong. My teacher says that I should add the 7 Ω and 23.3 Ω together (in series). Then take the resulting 30.3 Ω resistor and add it with the 10 Ω (in parallel) and that gives 7.5 Ω, which is the correct answer. Can someone explain this to me please?

Please excuse the weird looking lines in the diagrams. I'm new to Visio. Thanks.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

attachment.php?attachmentid=52461&d=1351562575.jpg
attachment.php?attachmentid=52462&d=1351562575.jpg

Connect a battery across a & b. Now, what is the series/parallel combination for the resistors?

Thank you guys. I think I understand it better now after doing many similar problems. I just "followed the wires" :)

1. What is the purpose of simplifying complex resistor circuits?

The purpose of simplifying complex resistor circuits is to make it easier to understand and analyze the circuit. By reducing the circuit to its simplest form, it becomes easier to calculate the total resistance, current, and voltage in the circuit.

2. How can complex resistor circuits be simplified?

Complex resistor circuits can be simplified by using series and parallel combinations of resistors. Series circuits have resistors connected end to end, while parallel circuits have resistors connected side by side.

3. What is the difference between series and parallel circuits?

In a series circuit, the resistors are connected end to end, so the current flows through each resistor in succession. In a parallel circuit, the resistors are connected side by side, so the current splits and flows through each resistor simultaneously.

4. How do I calculate the total resistance in a series circuit?

The total resistance in a series circuit is calculated by adding up the individual resistances of each resistor. This can be represented by the formula Rtotal = R1 + R2 + ... + Rn, where Rn is the resistance of each individual resistor.

5. How do I calculate the total resistance in a parallel circuit?

The total resistance in a parallel circuit is calculated by using the formula 1/Rtotal = 1/R1 + 1/R2 + ... + 1/Rn, and then taking the reciprocal of the sum. Alternatively, you can use the shortcut formula Rtotal = (R1 * R2 * ... * Rn) / (R1 + R2 + ... + Rn).