Simplifying Complex Resistor Circuits

In summary, the conversation discusses a circuit with resistors in parallel and series, with a lone branch connected to the same resistor. The individual has tried specifying nodes and getting confused about how to handle the 10kOhm resistor. Another individual suggests the 10kOhm resistor is in parallel with a 0Ohm resistor and offers a hint to help the individual figure out the equivalent resistor of the circuit. The conversation also highlights the importance of providing hints rather than giving answers in the forum.
careless25

Homework Statement

See attached image.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I cannot find any resistors in parallel or series in the circuit. I am confused by the lone branch going from the 10kOhm resistor back to the other end of the same resistor. How do I deal with that?
I tried specifying nodes, Node A being connected to the 10kOhm, 20kOhm and maybe the 30kOhm and 80kOhm resistors? Node B connected to the 8kOhm and the 80kOhm resistors. Node C connected to the 20kOhm, 30kOhm and the 8kOhm resistors.

This way I get 20kOhm and the 30kOhm resistors in parallel, but then I am confused about how to deal with the 10kOhm resistor. Is it in series? Parallel? with the other 2?

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2012-10-13 at 4.08.16 PM.jpg
    Screen Shot 2012-10-13 at 4.08.16 PM.jpg
    14.4 KB · Views: 500
Physics news on Phys.org
The 10ohm resistor seems to have been put in just to see if you know what you are doing, since it isn't REALLY in the circuit. Take it out and redraw the circuit and you'll find parallel and then series resistors (after you reduce the parallels)

One way to look at it: the 10kΩ resistor is actually in parallel with a 0Ω resistor (the wire).

80Ω//( 8Ω series with (20Ω//30Ω))
So, equivalent resistor of cirrcuit is 80//(8+12)=16Ω
10 Ohm resistor is shorted cirrcuit.

hoangkyem said:
80Ω//( 8Ω series with (20Ω//30Ω))
So, equivalent resistor of cirrcuit is 80//(8+12)=16Ω
10 Ohm resistor is shorted cirrcuit.

Please read the forum rules. It is innappropriate to GIVE the answer. The point of this forum is not to give people the answers to homework problems but to help them learn how to THINK and get their own answers. Give HINTS, not answers.

phinds said:
Please read the forum rules. It is innappropriate to GIVE the answer. The point of this forum is not to give people the answers to homework problems but to help them learn how to THINK and get their own answers. Give HINTS, not answers.
you are right. sorry

1. What is the purpose of simplifying resistor circuits?

Simplifying resistor circuits allows for easier analysis and calculation of the circuit's parameters, such as current, voltage, and resistance. It also helps to reduce the overall complexity and size of the circuit.

2. How do you simplify resistor circuits?

The most common method is to combine resistors in series or parallel to create equivalent resistors. Using Ohm's law, you can also calculate the total resistance of a circuit by adding together the individual resistances.

3. Can simplifying resistor circuits affect the circuit's performance?

In most cases, simplifying resistor circuits will not significantly affect the circuit's performance. However, if the circuit is highly sensitive or requires precise calculations, simplifying may introduce some error.

4. What are the benefits of simplifying resistor circuits?

Simplifying resistor circuits can help to reduce the number of components needed, which can save space and lower costs. It also makes it easier to troubleshoot and modify the circuit if needed.

5. Are there any drawbacks to simplifying resistor circuits?

In some cases, simplifying resistor circuits may result in a less precise or efficient circuit. It is essential to carefully consider the impact of simplification on the specific circuit and its intended use.