Simulating the flow around a 2D airfoil

In summary: Is it possible to do such simulations using a commercial software package? If so, what are some of the more popular ones?When you are simulating an airfoil, you are really studying the flow around it. This can be done using a number of different methods, but the most common is using fluid dynamics. Commercial software packages like Fluent can be used to do these simulations.
JolileChat
I would like to simulate the flow around a 2D airfoil up to M=0.9.
Could you please recommend me some bibliography?

Engineering news on Phys.org
Is it a well known type of airfoil (typical NACA designation)? If so, there are quite a few books that would probably have all of that information available already.

The problem is, you want to go all the way up to Mach 0.9, which means you will start getting compressibility effects and all of the effects of transonic flow. You would likely need to go well beyond the basic theory of airfoils to get an accurate answer. In other words, how accurate does your answer really need to be?

At any rate, "Theory of Wing Sections" by Abbott and Doenhoff would likely be a good starting place.

Last edited:
boneh3ad said:
Is it a well known type of airfoil (typical NACA designation)? If so, there are quite a few books that would probably have all of that information available already.

The problem is, you want to go all the way up to Mach 0.9, which means you will start getting compressibility effects and all of the effects of transonic flow. You would likely need to go well beyond the basic theory of airfoils to get an accurate answer. In other words, how accurate does your answer really need to be?

At any rate, "Theory of Wing Sections) by Abbott and Doenhoff would likely be a good starting place.

It would be a NACA, but I am not sure the designation. In fact, I'm more interested in the methodology to perform the simulation.

When I was taking aerodynamic classes, I remember I did a flow simulation around an airfoil using finite differences. I don't remember if I used Navier-Stokes or Euler. Since it was about 15 years ago, I can't remember the details.

I would like to be able to do such simulations again, this time to study the unsteady aerodynamics.

1. What is a 2D airfoil?

A 2D airfoil is a streamlined shape that is designed to produce lift when placed in a moving air stream. It is commonly used in aircraft and wind turbine blades.

2. Why is simulating the flow around a 2D airfoil important?

Simulating the flow around a 2D airfoil allows us to understand how the airfoil behaves in different conditions and at different angles of attack. This information is crucial in designing efficient and safe aircraft and wind turbines.

3. How is the flow around a 2D airfoil simulated?

The flow around a 2D airfoil is typically simulated using computational fluid dynamics (CFD) software. This involves creating a virtual model of the airfoil and using mathematical equations to simulate the flow of air around it.

4. What factors affect the flow around a 2D airfoil?

The flow around a 2D airfoil can be affected by a variety of factors, including the airfoil's shape, angle of attack, speed and direction of the air stream, and the viscosity and density of the air.

5. How can the results of simulating the flow around a 2D airfoil be used?

The results of simulating the flow around a 2D airfoil can be used to optimize the design of the airfoil for maximum lift and efficiency. They can also be used to predict the performance of the airfoil in different conditions and to identify potential issues or areas for improvement.