Why are there points of zero intensity in the single slit experiment?

In summary, the diffraction angle affects the intensity of light. The width of the slit also affects the intensity of light.
_Mayday_
Today in class we went over the single slit experiment, the aim of the lesson was to see that the greater the diffraction angle the lower the intensity. We then looked at a graph where it showed along the x-axis the angle of diffraction and up the y-axis the intensity. There was a decrease in the intensity as the angle of diffraction increased, and there were points at which the intesnsity was zero along the x-axis, this was seen by there being gaps in the projected image. We then went on to discuss how the width of the slit affects the intensity.

My question is why? Why are there points where there is zero intensity and is there anything else that explains the distribution of light? Is it to do with the light going through the slit and somehow the light interfering with itself? I am really not sure, and it is not in the course. Could someone please explain it, or if you prefer provide a link that explains it.

Any help would be much appreciated. :biggrin:

_Mayday_

Physics news on Phys.org
Thanks Kurdt! :smile:

In school you should have begun with the double-slit experiment. That appears to be more grasp than the single slite one. Mathematics for the singleslit are slight more difficult than those fore the doubleslit.

ManDay said:
In school you should have begun with the double-slit experiment. That appears to be more grasp than the single slite one. Mathematics for the singleslit are slight more difficult than those fore the doubleslit.

We are learning about Diffraction in the lesson and so the single slit experiment was used as an example. We work our practicals on a rotation system where every week a different person has a different experiment, it has just turned out that for me that we have learned about the single slit experiment before I have had the chance to do the double slit.

All this Manday, Mayday stuff is getting confusing :tongue:

Yes, that's yet the second time I find someone calling himself Mayday though and I've never found anyone named ManDay at all. (apart from that one inactive AAO player which has registered an account on the name ManDay in the year 2000 and has never played since, occupiying my name for no reason...)

But we're lucky that you have underscores and no capital D in your name, you we can be better told apart.

Q: What is the single slit explanation?

The single slit explanation is a concept in wave optics that explains how light behaves when passing through a narrow slit. It is used to understand the phenomenon of diffraction, where light spreads out and creates interference patterns.

Q: How does the single slit explanation relate to the double slit experiment?

The single slit explanation is a simplified version of the double slit experiment. In the double slit experiment, light passes through two slits and creates an interference pattern. In the single slit explanation, only one slit is present, and the resulting pattern is a central bright spot with decreasing intensity on either side.

Q: What is the equation for calculating the location of the bright spots in the single slit explanation?

The equation for calculating the location of the bright spots in the single slit explanation is d*sin(θ) = m*λ, where d is the width of the slit, θ is the angle of diffraction, m is the order of the bright spot, and λ is the wavelength of light.

Q: What is the relationship between slit width and the diffraction pattern in the single slit explanation?

The relationship between slit width and the diffraction pattern in the single slit explanation is that as the slit width decreases, the central bright spot becomes wider and the intensity of the bright spots decreases. This is because a narrower slit allows for more diffraction to occur, which results in a wider central bright spot and less intense side spots.

Q: Can the single slit explanation be applied to other types of waves besides light?

Yes, the single slit explanation can be applied to other types of waves, such as sound waves and water waves. In these cases, the interference pattern will be different, but the principles of diffraction still apply.