What is the role of sinh in Snell's Law?

In summary, the equation states that the parallel component of the wave vector at an interface is the same in both media. If the light came from a non-absorbing medium, the equation would be real. If the light came from an absorbing medium, the equation would be complex.
hb20007
"sinh" in Snell's Law?

Homework Statement

I'm trying to understand some equations in my AS level textbook about Snell's Law

Homework Equations

The equations are in the image below

The Attempt at a Solution

I tried reading up about sinh but I don't fully understand what it is. Also I'm not sure what the term beside sinh is. It can't be a "1" and to seems like a small letter L which comes out of nowhere?

image.png

Physics news on Phys.org
That looks like a typesetting problem. The greek letter θ corresponds to the roman letter q (try typing q in a font like Symbol). I'm not sure where the big 1 comes from, but it should be a μ. Then you recover Snell's law:
$$
\mu_1 \sin \theta_1 = \mu_2 \sin \theta_2
$$

I have seen a version of Snell's law where there is not just refraction taking place but also energy absorption and reflection at interfaces. They used complex indexes of refraction and complex angles! Hyperbolic sines replaced the sin() functions. Sorry I don't remember the reference, it was a good many years ago!

Snell's Law is equivalent to the continuity of the tangential component of the wave vector at an interface: The component of the wave vector k parallel to the surface is the same in both media. In case of an absorbing medium, k is complex. Representing the parallel component with ksinθ, Snells Law states that k1sinθ1=k2sinθ2.
If the light came from a non-absorbing medium, k1 and θ1 are real. If k2 is complex, θ2 is a complex angle, and you have the complex sine function, ##\sin(z)=\frac{\exp(iz)-\exp(-iz)}{2i}=-i \sinh(iz)## But you can avoid by computing with complex angles if you use Snell's Law in the form kparallel= ko sinθo.

ehild

Last edited:
From the material presented in the OP, it is clear that this is introductory level. Hyperbolic sines have nothing to do with the poster's question, and the equation doesn't make mathematical sense (in terms of notation) if one interprets sinh as a hyperbolic sine.

Well, never trust texts that are written with M$ Word or similar pseudo-typesetting programs. There are exceptions, but usually one has to be very careful with such texts:devil:.

Hmm...

Yup, this is intro level physics and I have to agree with DrClaude: This is just one weird typesetting error. Thanks for the help guys.

Related to What is the role of sinh in Snell's Law?

1. What is "Sinh" in Snell's Law?

"Sinh" is the abbreviation for the hyperbolic sine function, which is used in the mathematical equation for Snell's Law. It represents the ratio of the sine of the angle of incidence to the sine of the angle of refraction.

2. Why is "Sinh" used in Snell's Law?

"Sinh" is used in Snell's Law because it helps to determine the relationship between the angle of incidence and the angle of refraction as light passes through different mediums. It allows scientists to calculate the amount of refraction that will occur at a boundary between two materials with different refractive indices.

3. How do you calculate "Sinh" in Snell's Law?

"Sinh" is calculated by taking the inverse hyperbolic sine of the ratio of the sine of the angle of incidence to the sine of the angle of refraction. This calculation is represented by the equation sinh(x) = (sin(x))/n, where n is the refractive index of the second medium.

4. What is the significance of "Sinh" in Snell's Law?

The significance of "Sinh" in Snell's Law lies in its ability to accurately predict the behavior of light as it passes through different mediums. This equation helps scientists understand and calculate the changes in the direction of light as it enters and exits various substances.

5. Are there any limitations to using "Sinh" in Snell's Law?

While "Sinh" is a useful tool in understanding and calculating Snell's Law, it does have limitations. It assumes that light travels in a straight line, and does not account for factors such as scattering or diffraction. Additionally, it only applies to materials with a constant refractive index and does not account for materials with varying refractive indices.