Size of proton, neutron and electron

In summary: If you are 1/5 the size of your little sister, then your relative sizes are 0.25 and 1.0 (or 1 and 5/10).The relative size is 1 and 1/2, or 1 and 1/5.
Lucy11802

Homework Statement

So my teacher set us half term homework and one of the questions was state the relative size of a proton a neutron and an electron

Homework Equations

Not sure about equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Im a bit confused because everyone in my class got
Proton: 1
Neutron: 1
Electron: negligible
But i got-
Proton: 0.84 fermatons (idk if that's spelt right)
Neutron: 0.84 fermatons
Electron: The size of its wave function

Im confused and need a bit of help- I am in year 9 so I am not reall hugley educated.

Physics news on Phys.org
I guess you mean femtometer (sometimes called Fermi).
Lucy11802 said:
Electron: The size of its wave function
That is a problematic approach, because it means the size of the electron depends on where it is. If you want to use this approach, then you should also consider wave functions for protons and neutrons.

The question was about relative sizes. 0.84 femtometer is the absolute size.

mfb said:
I guess you mean femtometer (sometimes called Fermi).That is a problematic approach, because it means the size of the electron depends on where it is. If you want to use this approach, then you should also consider wave functions for protons and neutrons.

The question was about relative sizes. 0.84 femtometer is the absolute size.
Oh okay thanks, so should i just make the size less accurate and change the electron one then?

What do you mean by "less accurate"?

If the electron has an intrinsic size (in the same way as proton and neutron have a size), it has to be extremely tiny.

Lucy11802 said:
Oh okay thanks, so should i just make the size less accurate and change the electron one then?
You are asked for the relative size, i.e., compared to each other. If you are twice as tall as your little sister, then your relative sizes are 2 and 1 (or 1 and 1/2), whatever your heights are in meters.

1. What is the size of a proton?

The size of a proton is approximately 0.0000000000000000000000016 meters, or 1.6 x 10^-15 meters. This is about 100,000 times smaller than the size of an atom.

2. How does the size of a neutron compare to that of a proton?

The size of a neutron is very similar to that of a proton, with a radius of approximately 0.0000000000000000000000016 meters. However, the mass of a neutron is slightly larger than that of a proton.

3. Is the size of an electron the same as a proton and neutron?

No, the size of an electron is much smaller than that of a proton and neutron. The radius of an electron is approximately 0.000000000000000000000000001 meters, or 1.6 x 10^-18 meters, making it about 100,000 times smaller than the size of a proton.

4. Can the size of a proton, neutron, or electron change?

The size of a proton, neutron, and electron are considered to be fundamental constants, meaning they do not change in a given environment. However, they can change in extreme conditions, such as in a high-energy particle accelerator.

5. How do scientists determine the size of a proton, neutron, and electron?

Scientists use various experimental techniques, such as scattering experiments and spectroscopy, to measure the size of particles. These techniques involve bombarding particles with high-energy beams and observing the resulting interactions to determine their sizes.