Sketch the functions dependance on energy

In summary, the conversation is about a course on quantum nanodevices and a specific exercise that involves calculating a quantity using periodic boundary conditions for free particles in a box. The quantity, denoted as Q(ε), represents the density of states for different dimensions (3D, 2D, 1D) and has a physical meaning in relation to the energy states of the system. The conversation also mentions a helpful article for further understanding of the subject.
greeniq
Hi guys,
I just started a course which is called quantum nanodevices and i need help in one of the exercises,
ex. calculate, using periodic boundary conditions for free particles in a box, the quantity

Q(ε)=(1/V) Σp δ(ε- εp)

in the large system limit, 1)in three dimensions,2)in two dimensions, 3) in one dimension. 4)and sketch the functions dependence on energy. 5) what is the physical meaninig of the quantity?

please guys i need your hints about this ex. and I need to know where can i find related articles about this subject.

thanx so much in advance.
IQ

Physics news on Phys.org
Have a look at your function. What does it do?
You sum over all possible values of p (which means in fact summing over all possible combinations of the k-vector) and add 1 whenever there is a state with the sought energy at this certain combination of k-vector entrys. This is the sum of states of a given Energy value. Divided by the volume you get the density of states, which is your quantity Q.

So what you want is the density of states for bulk material (3D), quantum wells (2D), quantum wires (1D) and quantum dots (0D).
As this seems to be a homework question I don't want to give you every detail.
However, if you are really frustrated, looking http://britneyspears.ac/physics/dos/dos.htm" might help.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanx Cthugha
this is a homework, I appreciate your replay, I will read this article, and maybe I will need some explanation, because I am new into quantum physics.
Thanx again

1. What is the relationship between a function and energy?

A function can be thought of as a mathematical representation of energy. In other words, a function describes the dependence of energy on certain variables and can be used to predict the amount of energy present in a system.

2. How can I sketch the function's dependence on energy?

To sketch the function's dependence on energy, you will need to first identify the variables that affect energy in the system. Then, you can plot these variables on the x-axis and the corresponding energy values on the y-axis. This will create a graph that shows the relationship between the function and energy.

3. What factors can influence the function's dependence on energy?

The function's dependence on energy can be influenced by a variety of factors such as temperature, pressure, mass, and distance. These variables can affect the amount of energy in a system and therefore, impact the shape and characteristics of the function.

4. How do I determine the shape of the function's graph?

The shape of the function's graph can be determined by analyzing the variables present in the function and their respective coefficients. For example, if the function has a positive coefficient for a variable, the graph will have a positive slope. Similarly, a negative coefficient will result in a negative slope.

5. Can the function's dependence on energy change over time?

Yes, the function's dependence on energy can change over time. This can happen due to changes in the variables that affect energy in the system. For instance, an increase in temperature can cause the function's graph to shift upwards, indicating a higher energy value for the same variable on the x-axis.