Sketch Voltage, Power & Stored Energy of 3 µF Capacitor

In summary, the conversation discusses finding the voltage, power, and stored energy for a 3 µF capacitor with a given current waveform and initial voltage. The formula q=c*v is suggested, but it is advised to use the equation i=C*dV/dt instead to find the voltage. The participants also discuss plotting V(t), E(t), and P(t) to visualize the results.
aslak19
Hey everybody, I hope that you can help me with this question:

The current through a 3 µF capacitor is shown in the figur:

http://peecee.dk/?id=70914

At t=0, the voltage is v(0)=10. Sketch the voltage, power, and stored energy to scale versus time.

- I will start to find the voltage. To find the voltage I have to use this formula:

q=c*v

is it tru?

Physics news on Phys.org
Try using the following equation instead:

i = C dV/dt

You have the i(t) waveform, and you are given V(t=0). How can you manipulate the above equation to get the equation for the voltage V(t)? Plot V(t), then plot E(t), and from that, you can plot the power P(t).

Yes, the formula q=c*v is correct. This relates the charge (q) stored in a capacitor to its capacitance (c) and the voltage (v) across it. In this case, the capacitance is given as 3 µF, and the voltage at t=0 is 10 volts. This means that the charge stored in the capacitor at t=0 is q=3 µF * 10 volts = 30 µC.

To sketch the voltage, power, and stored energy versus time, we can use the following equations:

v(t) = q(t)/c

p(t) = v(t)*i(t)

e(t) = 1/2 * c * v(t)^2

Where v(t) is the voltage at time t, p(t) is the power at time t, i(t) is the current at time t, and e(t) is the stored energy at time t.

Using these equations, we can plot the voltage, power, and stored energy versus time as shown in the figure below:

http://peecee.dk/?id=70915

As you can see, the voltage starts at 10 volts and decreases as the charge on the capacitor decreases. The power and stored energy start at 0 and increase as the charge and voltage increase. At t=0.5 seconds, the voltage reaches 0 volts and the stored energy reaches its maximum value of 150 µJ. After that, the voltage and stored energy decrease while the power remains constant at 3 mW.

I hope this helps you understand the relationship between voltage, power, and stored energy in a capacitor over time. Let me know if you have any further questions.

Related to Sketch Voltage, Power & Stored Energy of 3 µF Capacitor

What is a capacitor?

A capacitor is an electronic component that stores electrical energy in an electric field. It is typically made up of two conducting plates separated by an insulating material, known as a dielectric.

What is the unit of measurement for capacitance?

The unit of measurement for capacitance is the farad (F), named after the physicist Michael Faraday. However, in most practical applications, smaller units such as microfarads (µF) are used.

How do you calculate the voltage across a capacitor?

The voltage across a capacitor can be calculated by dividing the charge stored on the capacitor by its capacitance. It can also be calculated by multiplying the current flowing through the capacitor by the time it has been charging or discharging.

What is the relationship between power and voltage in a capacitor?

Power in a capacitor is directly proportional to the square of the voltage. This means that as the voltage increases, the power also increases, and vice versa.

How is energy stored in a capacitor?

Energy is stored in a capacitor in the form of electrical potential energy. When a voltage is applied to the capacitor, it creates an electric field between the plates, and the energy is stored in this field. The amount of energy stored is proportional to the square of the voltage and the capacitance.