Sketching Solutions for Absolute Value of (w-2j) = 3

• Thread starter salman213
  • Start date
In summary, the solution to absolutevalueof*(w-2j) = 3 can be sketched by first considering the cases where w is greater than or less than 2j. For w greater than 2j, the solution is (w-2j). For w less than 2j, the solution is -(w-2j). This results in two solutions: w = 3 + 2j and w = -3 + 2j. These are the only two solutions and can be sketched by creating an imaginary and real axis and drawing two vectors with the given components. The absolute value in this case represents the magnitude of the complex number and the locus of the points that are at a distance
salman213
1. Question: Sketch the solution to

absolutevalueof*(w-2j) = 3

now if i had this type of question

absolute(x-3) = 4

i would go

x-3 if x greater than 3
-(x-3) if x less than 3
and solve separately

x = 7 and x = -1

Now should i do the same approach to this question I am a little confused :(

(w-2j) if w is greater than 2j
-(w-2j) if w is less than 2j

w = 3 + 2j

and

w = -3 + 2j

are those the only two solutions ?

and if so how do i sketch them ?

should I just make an imaginary and real axis and draw two `vectors` with the above components...

Physics news on Phys.org
or actually i just noticed that absolute value is probably the magnitude of that complex number...hmmmm

thats weird should how I approach that then :S

salman213 said:
or actually i just noticed that absolute value is probably the magnitude of that complex number...hmmmm

thats weird should how I approach that then :S

The difference of two numbers a - b, is a vector from b to a. The absolute value is the distance. What is the locus of the points that are at a distance 3 for the point 2j?

1. What is the absolute value of (w-2j)?

The absolute value of a number is its distance from zero on the number line. In this case, the absolute value of (w-2j) is equal to 3.

2. What does the variable w represent in this equation?

The variable w represents any real number. It can be positive, negative, or zero.

3. How can I solve for w in this equation?

To solve for w, you can use algebraic methods such as isolating the variable on one side of the equation and performing the inverse operation to both sides. In this case, you can add 2j to both sides and then take the absolute value to find the possible values of w.

4. Are there any restrictions on the value of w in this equation?

Since w represents any real number, there are no restrictions on its value. However, when solving for w, you may need to consider any restrictions on the variable that arise from other equations or contexts.

5. Can I graph this equation to better understand its solutions?

Yes, you can graph this equation by plotting the points on a coordinate plane where the absolute value of (w-2j) is equal to 3. The resulting graph will be a V-shaped curve with its vertex at (2j, 3) and the points (2j+3, 0) and (2j-3, 0) on either side of the vertex.