Calculating Skier's Acceleration on 30 Degree Slope | Force Diagram

• Thread starter pb23me
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Slope
In summary, a skier is descending a slope of 30 degrees with a coefficient of kinetic friction of 0.1. A force diagram is drawn with a normal force pointing up, the cosine of theta times the skier's mass times gravity pointing down, friction force pointing left, and the sine of theta times the skier's mass times gravity pointing right. To find the skier's acceleration, the net force must be calculated by taking the vector sum of all the forces. A drawing of the force diagram would provide a clearer understanding.
pb23me

Homework Statement

skier decends a slope of 30 degrees. Assume the coefficient of kinetic friction is 0.1

draw a force diagram
find his acceleration

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

force diagram i have normal force up, cos(theta)mg down, Force friction left and sin(theta)mg right?

Physics news on Phys.org
So what's the net force on the skier?

idk give me a hint please

and am i correct in drawing my force diagram

pb23me said:
idk give me a hint please
The net force is the vector sum of all the forces as shown in your force diagram. Your force diagram sounds correct from the description you gave, but a drawing would be better.

What is the formula for calculating a skier's acceleration on a 30 degree slope?

The formula for calculating a skier's acceleration on a 30 degree slope is a = gsinq, where a is the acceleration, g is the acceleration due to gravity (9.8 m/s^2), and q is the angle of the slope in radians (in this case, 30 degrees converted to radians is approximately 0.52).

How do you create a force diagram for a skier on a 30 degree slope?

To create a force diagram for a skier on a 30 degree slope, you would draw a dot representing the skier and arrows representing the forces acting on the skier. These forces include the force of gravity (acting straight down), the normal force (acting perpendicular to the slope), and the force of friction (acting parallel to the slope).

What is the role of the normal force in calculating a skier's acceleration on a 30 degree slope?

The normal force is an important component in calculating a skier's acceleration on a 30 degree slope because it counteracts the force of gravity pulling the skier down the slope. The greater the normal force, the less the skier will accelerate down the slope.

How does the force of friction affect a skier's acceleration on a 30 degree slope?

The force of friction, which acts parallel to the slope, will cause the skier to decelerate as it opposes the direction of motion. The amount of friction depends on the coefficient of friction between the skier's equipment and the snow, as well as the skier's speed and the angle of the slope.

What are some factors that could affect a skier's acceleration on a 30 degree slope?

Some factors that could affect a skier's acceleration on a 30 degree slope include the skier's mass, the coefficient of friction between the skier's equipment and the snow, the angle of the slope, and any external forces (such as wind) acting on the skier. Additionally, the skier's technique and skill level can also play a role in their acceleration down the slope.