Skier's coefficient of velocity

In summary: I'm not sure what it is. Anyway, the work done against the friction is equal to the total change in mechanical energy, which is equal to the initial kinetic energy.
mortho
[SOLVED] Skier's coefficient of velocity

Homework Statement

A skier traveling 12.0 m/s reaches the foot of a steady upward 18° incline and glides 14.2 m up along this slope before coming to rest. What was the average coefficient of friction?

Homework Equations

Wnet=delta KE

coefficient=Ff/Fn
and a ton of other Forces equations

The Attempt at a Solution

This problem was amazingly hard..so many steps but here's what i did
Wnet=delta KE
Fnetd=Delta KE
Fa-(Ff+Fp)d=1/2mv2
Fa-(coefficient Fn+ Fp)d=1/2 mv2
Fa- (coefficient Cos 18 g + Sin 18 g)d=1/2mv2

Finally i got my answers which came up to 18.7 is that right?

and also i couldn't figure out how to get Fa so i didn't even put in anything for that in my calculations , so i know it's wrong. Thanks for your help

Physics news on Phys.org
What is Fa meant to be? Applied force? If so, then this is zero, since the skier starts with constant velocity. What does Fp stand for?

You're going about it in more or less the right way, in that the net decelerating force multiplied by the distance traveled is equal to the change in energy; but note that the change in energy is not equal to the initial kinetic energy. There is final potential energy too! However, that is quite straightforward to work out. Apart from that, you're more or less there. Try again, putting this in.

Fp is force parallel

wait so i added final potential energy to KE in the equation? Fnetd=KE+PEf ??

wait wat is my final height? how do i get height? is it 14.2?

mortho said:
wait so i added final potential energy to KE in the equation? Fnetd=KE+PEf ??
No, the initial kinetic energy is equal to the work done by the decelerating force plus the final potential energy.

mortho said:
wait wat is my final height? how do i get height? is it 14.2?
No, that is the distance up the slope. You need the vertical distance. You have an angle and a side of a right angled triangle; how do you find another side?

oh duh..the height is Sin(18)14.2 right? so..4.39..i can never get these problems unless i draw them out ..i drew it out and saw it haha

okay i worked it all out and got 0.165 correcto? (oh god...oh god..please) :)

i just entered it and it wasn't correct..what did i do wrong

1/2mv2=Wnetd+PEf
72=(coefficient)(9.33+3.03)(14.2)+(9.81)(4.39)
coefficient=0.165

average coefficient? is that the same?

Okay, I'm a little confused by your equations but here's a shot at what they mean (or what they should mean).
-1/2mv[tex]^{2}_{i}[/tex] +mgy[tex]^{}_{f}[/tex] = W[tex]^{}_{friction}[/tex]
We should know that W[tex]_{friction}[/tex] = [tex]\Delta[/tex]SNcos180.
From this the coefficient of friction is easily found.
I'm not really sure what you did with your second and third lines, but I think you're on the right track.

wait Wfriction=deltaSNcos180?? i used Cos18(9.81)

The work done by friction is Δs⋅N⋅μ⋅cos180. Since friction is acting opposite the direction of motion, we must include cos180, effectively giving the work done a negative value. The normal force is cos(18)w = cos(18)mg, which is what you had for the work done by friction (once you eliminate the mass constants from both sides).

I got [tex]\mu = 0.219[/tex]

Thanks!

cristo said:
What is Fa meant to be? Applied force? If so, then this is zero, since the skier starts with constant velocity. What does Fp stand for?

You're going about it in more or less the right way, in that the net decelerating force multiplied by the distance traveled is equal to the change in energy; but note that the change in energy is not equal to the initial kinetic energy. There is final potential energy too! However, that is quite straightforward to work out. Apart from that, you're more or less there. Try again, putting this in.

Note that there's a bit of ambiguity in this post. What I mean is that the work done by the frictional force is equal to the total change in mechanical energy. Of course, the work done by component of the weight of the skier acting down the slope is equal to the potential energy gained by the skier on climbing the slope, and so does not need to included twice.

Still, it appears you have the answer now, but I wanted to prevent any possible confusion that this may bring to other readers.

mortho said:
Thanks!

Well, I'm not sure of my value... I was hoping that someone would confirm the answer that I arrived at.

Yes, that's the correct answer. I don't really see the point in just posting the answer though...

Haha, I don't really want to post my working if it's wrong. Furthermore, some textbooks provide answers for their questions without the working. I was thinking that, even if I give an answer, I'm not really doing his homework for him, just merely giving a guide... Or at least that is my opinion.

So here's my working;

Using the principle of conservation of energy, the initial kinetic energy of the skiier is converted into gain in gravitational potential energy and work done against friction between the skis and the snow.

[tex] E_k = E_p + W_f [/tex]
[tex] \frac{1}{2}mv^2 = mgh + (mg\ cos\ \theta) \mu s [/tex]

where h is increase in vertical height of the skiier, [tex]\mu[/tex] is the coefficient of friction and s is the distance moved along the inclined plane of the hill.

Cancelling m from the equation and solving for [tex]\mu[/tex],

[tex] \frac{1}{2}(12.0)^2 = (9.81)(14.2\ sin\ 18^o) + (9.81\ cos\ 18^o) \mu (14.2) [/tex]
[tex]\mu = 0.219[/tex]

kudoushinichi88 said:
Furthermore, some textbooks provide answers for their questions without the working. I was thinking that, even if I give an answer, I'm not really doing his homework for him, just merely giving a guide... Or at least that is my opinion.

This is all well and good, but some people come on here asking for help with questions that part of an online assessed test/coursework. These things only request the answer, and so by providing that you are giving them the answer.

As a general rule, full solutions, or answers, should not be given in the homework forums; rather you are encouraged to try and guide the student towards the correct answer, in the same way a tutor would.

Okay, I'll bear that in mind.

1. What is Skier's coefficient of velocity?

Skier's coefficient of velocity is a measure of the average speed at which a skier travels down a slope. It takes into account the skier's mass, the angle of the slope, and the coefficient of friction between the skis and the snow.

2. How is Skier's coefficient of velocity calculated?

The equation for Skier's coefficient of velocity is: Cv = (m x g x sinθ) / (μ x cosθ), where Cv is the coefficient of velocity, m is the skier's mass, g is the acceleration due to gravity, θ is the angle of the slope, and μ is the coefficient of friction.

3. Why is Skier's coefficient of velocity important?

Skier's coefficient of velocity is important because it helps us understand the factors that affect a skier's speed and how to optimize their performance. It also allows us to compare the speeds of different skiers on the same slope or on different slopes.

4. How does the coefficient of friction affect Skier's coefficient of velocity?

The coefficient of friction plays a crucial role in determining Skier's coefficient of velocity. A higher coefficient of friction means that the skier will have more resistance and a lower speed, while a lower coefficient of friction means the skier will have less resistance and a higher speed.

5. What factors can influence Skier's coefficient of velocity?

Apart from the skier's mass and the slope angle, other factors that can influence Skier's coefficient of velocity include the condition of the snow (such as powder or ice), the shape and sharpness of the skis, and the skier's technique and experience.