Sliding rod in magnetic field

If you want to use your calculator to do it, you'll need to find the minimum point of the function. You can do this by taking the derivative of the function, setting it to zero, and solving for theta. This will give you the value of theta at the minimum point.Alternatively, you can just look for the point on the graph where the slope is zero (ie where the graph looks like a horizontal line).In summary, the question posed is to determine the minimum magnetic field B that will cause a rod, with mass m = 0.375 kg and length 18.5 cm, to slide when a current of I = 36.2 A is running through it. The coefficient of static friction is
Dopefish1337

Homework Statement

Suppose the rod in the figure below has mass m = 0.375 kg and length 18.5 cm and the current through it is I = 36.2 A.

http://img183.imageshack.us/img183/2059/dgian2757.gif

If the coefficient of static friction is mus = 0.503, determine the minimum magnetic field B (not necessarily vertical) that will just cause the rod to slide. Give the magnitude of B and its direction (angle) relative to the vertical.

Homework Equations

|F|=I*l*B*sin(theta)
Ff=Fn*mus
Fn=m*g

The Attempt at a Solution

Fn=3.67875 N
Ff=1.85 N

The magnetic force needs to be strong enough to overcome Ff, so Ff=I*l*B*sin(theta). Surely that force is maximised when sin theta is one, so relative to the vertical that angle must be 0?

Thus, 1.85=36.2*(18.5/100)*B, so B= .276 T, at an angle of 0 deg relative to the horizontal, however this is incorrect.

At what point am I going wrong?

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Looks good to me! It does ask for the angle relative to the vertical (rather than horizontal as you mention in the 2nd last paragraph) but that is zero so 0.276 and zero should be the answer.

Unfortunately the system isn't accepting it. Anyone else want to look for any reason it might be wrong, before I email the admin for the site claiming it's a technical error?

I'm toying with the idea that perhaps it might be possible that if the field were on a slight angle, the rod itself might feel a slight vertical force, thus causing the normal force to decrease and in turn the frictional force.

However, I don't think that would actually decrease the field needed, since overcoming the frictional force is easier than the gravatational one...

Anyone with a better understanding of all this want to comment on whether it's possible for an angle to be better than it going straight vertical?

A most impressive idea!
I graphed the part that depends on the angle and there seems to be a minimum for B at about 27 degrees away from vertical.

What would the resultant equations be that lead to that conclusion?

Fn=mg-I*l*b*cos(theta)?

So that I*l*b*sin(theta)=(mg-I*l*b*cos(theta))*.503?

Or did I mess up my expression for Fn?

Last edited:
Got it now, think my cos and sin were reversed in my previous post, but I fiddled with things until it worked, and it has.

Thanks for the help. :)

I am working on a similar problem, but cannot find the solution.
I have gotten to finding an equation:

Force Friction = I l B sin(theta)
But cannot solve for Theta and B
Help?

Force friction = I l B sin(theta)

What expression do you have for frictional force? (or are you saying that the frictional force *is* ILBsin(theta), as opposed to simply be equivalent?)

Once you have an expression with only B and theta as unknowns, you can rearrange to get B as a function of theta. Once you have that, there's two possibilities: 1. Find a graphing calcluator, and look for the point where B is minimum directly off the graph.

or

2. Draw upon calculus to find the derivative and set it equal to zero, and solve the resulting equation for theta.

If memory serves, you may not have mention of theta in the numerator, so it may be easier to just take the denominator and maximise that, potentially leading to an easier derivative to solve.

I have used Frictional Force to equal Normal force * mew(Static)
the question never stated in which direction the rod was hung, so I neglected any angle from the frictional force.
I have a graphing calculator, but how would I solve for it?
Would i simply divide my calculated value by sin(theta)?

I suspect if your question is similar to mine, then you'd want an angle in your formula for normal force.

If you plot the function of B as a function of theta, you can just manually look through the table and find where B is minimum.

1. How does a sliding rod in a magnetic field work?

When a conductive rod is placed in a magnetic field, it experiences a force known as the Lorentz force. This force is caused by the interaction between the magnetic field and the moving charges within the rod. As a result, the rod will move in a direction perpendicular to both the magnetic field and the direction of current flow in the rod.

2. What factors affect the motion of a sliding rod in a magnetic field?

The motion of a sliding rod in a magnetic field is affected by several factors, including the strength of the magnetic field, the velocity of the rod, the angle between the rod and the magnetic field, and the length and mass of the rod.

3. Can the direction of motion of a sliding rod be reversed?

Yes, the direction of motion of a sliding rod can be reversed by changing the direction of the magnetic field or the flow of current in the rod. This is known as the right-hand rule, where the direction of the force on the rod is determined by the direction of the magnetic field and the direction of the current flow, using your right hand.

4. What applications does a sliding rod in a magnetic field have?

A sliding rod in a magnetic field has various applications, such as in electric motors, generators, and transformers. It is also used in devices like galvanometers and compasses. Additionally, this phenomenon is important in understanding the behavior of particles in particle accelerators and fusion reactors.

5. Are there any safety precautions to consider when working with a sliding rod in a magnetic field?

Yes, there are a few safety precautions to keep in mind when working with a sliding rod in a magnetic field. Since a strong magnetic field can cause objects to move or fly towards it, it is important to keep any metal objects or electronic devices away from the area. Additionally, care should be taken when handling the rod to avoid any potential injuries due to sudden movements.