Small gas engine electric generator ?

In summary, it sounds like it would be a tricky and expensive process to parallel two generators, and even then it might not be a good idea.
zanegrey
hi,
i want to know if i can tie 2 generators together to get enough amps to run my house.

i have an older 10 hp 4.5 k watt genset and a 5.5 hp 3 k watt genset.

the 4.5 k genset is a 240 plug in but only 15 amps

my ac is 240 at 30 amps
and dryer require 220 at 30 amps.

thanks

Engineering news on Phys.org
Doesn't sound like a good idea to me. Even if you could, you wouldn't have enough current to run your house.
BTW Welcome to PF

If you want to run the AC and dryer at the same time, those generators aren't powerful enough.

I'm not an expert, and have never done this, but there seems to be very few replies, so here's something I found when I quickly googled your query yesterday (the warnings, pitfalls, and a method for linking the generators):

http://yarchive.net/car/rv/generator_synchronization.html

When you're trying to put generators in parallel, it's best to use generators designed for this purpose (I think there're a few Hondas that do this). Otherwise, you'll need to match frequency, phase angle, and (preferably) amplitude, or else danger ensues (mostly to the generators, but also possibly to you and your house).

These aren't exactly the necessities of life, however. If you're going off the grid, or want to prepare for (prolonged) power outages, could you rough it? That or just buy a bigger generator.

I think it is a bit dodgy to parellel up two different generators.. Tricky enough if they are identical. Trying to alter frequency and phase with simple generators wouldn't be easy.

You could get large circulating currents. You would need a syncroscope (expensive??) to get the phasing right and suitable switch gear.

Why do you need to do it anyway??

Only other way is the split the load between the two.. Much safer.

1. What is a small gas engine electric generator?

A small gas engine electric generator is a machine that uses a small internal combustion engine to convert gasoline into mechanical energy, which is then converted into electricity. This type of generator is commonly used for portable or backup power supply.

2. How does a small gas engine electric generator work?

The generator uses a small internal combustion engine to spin an alternator, which produces electricity. The engine draws fuel from a gas tank and converts it into mechanical energy, which is used to rotate the alternator. The alternator then converts this mechanical energy into electrical energy, which can be used to power electronic devices.

3. What are the advantages of a small gas engine electric generator?

Small gas engine electric generators are portable, easy to use, and can provide power in remote or emergency situations. They are also relatively inexpensive compared to other types of generators and can run for long periods of time on a small amount of fuel.

4. What are the limitations of a small gas engine electric generator?

Small gas engine electric generators are typically less powerful than larger, industrial generators and may not be suitable for powering larger appliances or equipment. They also require regular maintenance and can be noisy and emit fumes while in use.

5. How can I safely use a small gas engine electric generator?

To safely use a small gas engine electric generator, always read and follow the manufacturer's instructions. Use the generator outdoors in a well-ventilated area, away from buildings and combustible materials. Regularly check and maintain the generator, and never overload it with too many devices. Also, be sure to have a carbon monoxide detector nearby to monitor for any dangerous fumes.