Which drive is experiencing SMART failure?

In summary, the conversation is about a message received during booting indicating a potential disk drive failure. The person is unsure which of their two HD drives the message is referring to and is advised to check the jumpers on the drives and compare them to the diagram on the drive label. They can also disconnect one drive at a time to determine which one is causing the error.
TSN79
I recently got the following message during booting;

"Smart failure on Primary IDE Channel 3. Back-up your data, Disk drive failure may be imminent"

I've dealt with this problem previously, only problem now is I have two HD drives. How do I know which one this concerns?

Computer science news on Phys.org
IDE drives will have small jumpers on the end to configure them as primary or secondary. You can compare them to the diagram on the drive label.

I am not sure about three IDE channels, most computers will have IDE 0 and IDE 1.
The ribbon cable will be plugged into the motherboard; it may be labeled at the connector.

The simplest way is to disconnect one drive at a time from the ribbon cable. If the error goes away you know that it must be the last drive you disconnected. Reconnect that drive to confirm that it is and then you can replace it.

1. What does SMART failure mean?

SMART (Self-Monitoring, Analysis, and Reporting Technology) failure on a drive refers to a potential issue with the hard drive's health or performance. SMART is a system that monitors the health of a drive and can alert the user if there are any potential problems.

2. How does SMART failure affect my drive?

If a drive experiences SMART failure, it can indicate that the drive is becoming unstable or may fail in the near future. This can result in data loss or the inability to access the drive's contents.

3. Can I still use a drive with SMART failure?

It is not recommended to continue using a drive with SMART failure, as it may lead to further issues and potential data loss. It is best to back up any important data and replace the drive as soon as possible.

4. How can I check for SMART failure on my drive?

Most modern computers have built-in software that can check for SMART failure on drives. You can also use third-party tools or utilities to check the health of your drive.

5. What should I do if I encounter SMART failure on my drive?

If you encounter SMART failure on your drive, it is important to back up any important data immediately. You should then replace the drive as soon as possible to avoid potential data loss or further issues.