Maximizing Heat Dissipation in High-Power SMPS Design

In summary, the schematic shows a half bridge topology transformer with a feedback opto-regulator to maintain voltage at the output. The maximum voltage achievable at the primary is 1/4 that of the mains rectified.
When it is difficult to test for something that is suspected of happening in your circuit don't you think it would be wise to approach it from a different angle? You admit that it is poorly regulated with no load. So, reduce the line voltage until you are fairly sure there is no core saturation. Then look elsewhere for the cause of poor regulation. You may find a problem that solves everything and core saturation is no longer a consideration. If you have to reduce the line voltage to the point that the 5 volt regulator goes out of regulation then use a battery ahead of the 5 volt regulator until you have the problem solved.
-
As far as some of the advice here, don't complain about it. Unless you just have not followed a single piece of advice given here, how can you know everything would have gone along just fine had you just gone about it without any feedback from this forum? How do you know how much stuff you would have blown to pieces by now? I have a family member who complains about the direction their life went due to advice given by their parents. I have always questioned where their life would have gone without the guidance. It can always get worse.

Engineering news on Phys.org
well , yeah but to reduce the line voltage gradually i would need an autotransformer and i don't have one, maybe i could find an old one somewhere but it surely would be just as dangerous to use as the probing the primary method.quite frankly I don't bet much on saturation , i tested a few hours ago using a a 1600w rated mains iron for clothes which has a resistance of 34 ohms and then for extra fun i put the now probably famous 230w halogen bulb in parallel. :D since the bulb changes its resistance as it heats up the exact precise resistance under load is not sure but it was definitely less then those 34 ohms of the iron alone. the voltage dropped to about 125 to 128 volts from the average 140, with light loads. quick maths tells me I was averaging about 500 watts of power out and the iron got so hot that it started to change color.
heres what I noticed even i didint have a scope this evening , i decreased the duty cycle a bit and the cold start load was 11 ohms , last time i did this without modifying the circuit the IRFP's blew up.

heres what i believe , this smps even with no faults aint going to regulae to the level where mains suddenly dropping 10 volts due to whatever reason leaves no trace on the output under medium to high load.how can i know this ?when i did my load tests today i changed not only the duty cycle i also changed the frequency (manually with reostats) , and i found a sort of best place , going higher in frequency resultad in no voltage increase and also going for more deadtime started to yield lower voltage, so i left the deatime where it didnt affect my readings but was bigger than in the schematic to make an easier life for my mosfets and the frequency simply were the voltage sagged less.also the feedback isn't working as of yet because i haven't got the right voltage zeners i will get them soon.but i kinda think that aint going to change much.
i would follow BAluncores advice to rebuild the transformer but i first want to see whether its really the problem.
please don't consider this rude or whatever but i will talk with the guy and well find a way to probe the transformer , not that big of a deal, simply because seeing the waveform would tell best what's going on.after all the smps is fine enough for what i built it for originally, which is an audio amplifier board which could take an average of no more than 400w rms i think ,

as for the advice here I mean I am always thankful for one but as long as its not just constant pondering about how stupid everything is and how foolish I am and the others questions are just then left and ignored and the responder simply takes off , as has happened all to many times here on PF.like he thinks its not worthwhile to say anything anymore simply because someone has taken a less safe approach to something according to his viewpoint.
I think it's always a guessing game to tell whether someone is where he is because of what others have said to him or what they haven't said.
as far as my life goes I started building circuits and doing yes back in the day unsafe practices with electricity when i was a kid.long before any PF was around. as a kid i loved electricity but didint have the respect for it as I have now so back then i just touched live wires with my fingers simply to see if the laws of physics are true whenever they said about not getting zapped while standing on an isolating floor etc etc.also got some bad shocks a few times , even to the point were i fell down because my legs were paralyzed for a while so had to use my hands to get myself up the stairs.
so whenever you guys tell me be careful with electricity or floating a scope with live chassis , trust me I know darn well and I keep a very close check on the safety of myself when I am doing anything like that because i have a good personal experience with things going wrong.
if anything of all the folks who know me that are electricians they actually think I am overly cautious whenever i do anything with electricity , i sometimes even switch off power when changing a lightbulb in my room.
i dotn want to sound like some annoying mr.knows it all, I'm just explaining were i stand.

I just hope we could all be more of a community and less like a cop whose just doing his job for the sake of it.
I'm sorry for my part if I have said something which have made someone else think less of me.

Have you probed around on the Vref, +in and -in pins of the 3525 while changing loads? Do you know what should be happening here? Again, be careful here. The device may be run from a 7812 but that is floating well above conduit ground and is potential for shock.
-
If you have to reduce the line voltage to the point that the 5 volt regulator goes out of regulation then use a battery ahead of the 5 volt regulator until you have the problem solved.

My bad ^^^^^^^^^^^^. The 5 volt regulator is was referring to is actually the 12 volt regulator.

the device is not run from a 7812, its run from a small transformer , rectifier , and two 12 volt zeners in series., in other words from a regulated 24 volt supply.
but no i haven't probed around there , actually a good idea , ok the way you asked that is kind of intriguing so as much as I know once a mosfet is driven with enough gate current to get to its threshold (open) state in the necessary time , that gate current should change on the load the mosfet has to drive ?
so my logic is that on the supply pins of the 3525 the voltage should be constant under varying loads at the output or whatever.?

Ok here's a quick sidenote , yet an important one.i tried to launch the second smps with my other two leftover FCH104N60, this time i put a 100w globe lighbulb in series with the AC incoming mains as a current limiter.attached a small load at the secondary just to see if anything comes through together with a voltmeter.
now guess what , as I switch the power on the lightbulb in the ac mains barely glows for a little while might have been the split second then I hear a crak noise and the light bulb lights fully.nothing happens at the secondary at all. i switch the power off, make a measurment and guess what both FCH mosfets dead short on all legs no matter which way one measures.I mean for Christ's sake they are 600v 37 A continious at room temp (MAX) rated mosfets , even if i switched them both on and left them there , simply like a lightswitch they should whitstand the current and voltage I am having here , its only 325v DC about 20 amps max , the wall socket can't even supply more than that.
and I am having a light bulb in series which limits the current to maximum about 1.5 amps at 230 volts ,
and the IRFP'S work just fine even when i tortured them yesterday when the transfomer core started to hiss and whine a little.

either I am so unaware of some alline technology here or something doesn't add up in my book.even though i did not get a clear answer from the datasheet i read that these mosfets are easier to drive for the IR2110 than the IRFP'S due to lower gate charge , so technically the IR2110 isn't to blame for not being capable of driving them
i spent like 33 euros on them , waste of money.

Salvador said:
the device is not run from a 7812, its run from a small transformer , rectifier , and two 12 volt zeners in series., in other words from a regulated 24 volt supply.
Your schematic indicates a 7812 off a 15V (?) transformer.

Salvador said:
as I switch the power on the lightbulb in the ac mains barely glows for a little while might have been the split second then I hear a crak noise and the light bulb lights fully.
The design was for kilowatts, but you were only testing 100 watt. Obviously, the energy stored in the full capacitance was capable of destroying the MOSFETS. When doing initial testing you should have been using much less storage capacitance after the line rectifier. You were warned.

Salvador said:
So you have no 7812 = +12V regulated floating supply, but instead use a 24 volt zenner clamp? Do you have a limiting resistor before the zenners ? Does that explain why the half-bridge driver may be unable to correctly drive the MOSFET gates?

How many other things are different from the original design?

Likes mheslep
Another good application note here.
http://cds.linear.com/docs/en/application-note/an19fc.pdf

The PWM controller is another make but the math is all applicable, the discussion is accessible. Especially note the discussion on how fast current rises in an inadequate magnetic core, on the order of amps per microsecond, and here the switch period is up to 20us.

Last edited:
Hmmmm.
Baluncore said:
How many other things are different from the original design?
Yep, it just keeps getting better.

, thanks to all who are still interested even though I see its turning more into an amusement thing rather than a thread here.
well you may think I am dumb but it's not that bad.just because i didint use something mentioned in the schematic doesn't mean its not working , I had a small transformer , and a few zeners so i thought i will use them and not buy the regulator.the transformer supplies 28v DC after rectifier and smoothing, i thought ok will give me some headroom.
i used two 12 zeners in series with a 10 ohm 2w resistor. if my math is about right this gives me an output of about 24v and close to 500 mA.
after all the chips can take up to 35v for the sg3525 and 25 for the IR2110, and since i have two IR2110 each driving a half bridge the extra voltage doesn't do bad.
now why would this be a problem here? as I said I probed the gates , the square wave is nice with no sparks and spikes.its about 16v in level on average.
i did probe the power supply for the IC's under load. it drops from the 24volts which i get with no IC's inserted to a steady 20 volts.the difference between driving a light load and a heavy load was only 0.5 to max 1 volt drop in the IC power rail.
again given that the FCH devices have less gate capacitance I fail to see how this could be a problem. Now ofcourse you can go the simple way and just blame a bad design from an amateur but up to the point when I am writing this i really can't see why they failed.
and no one also mentioned the fact that they are rated almoust twice the IRFP's power in amps and a 100 volts more in volts and they fail so easily, I can't understand that.
i guess i should have tried using one of them simply as a light switch , just turn it fully on and leave it there and see what happens.

you may say the gate voltage was too high but the gate voltage to both these devices are standard +-20 volts so if one failed the other should too.
just please don't tell me that the IRFP is a foolsafe thing :Dsadly the time it took for them to fail is so short i can't physically manage to probe the gates with a scope but my guess here is that either the gates are driven too weakly and something goes wrong even though i find it weird as already mentioned a million times the capacitance is smaller and should be lighter to drive or yes the other scenario call me names all you want but maybe there is something wrong with the mosfets, as in the gate shoots through like breaks down.and then it shorts out on all three pins.a rather rare but not uncommon failure for a mosfet.I mean i tested them on two transformers each a bit different, also with current limut etc , i doubt anything in the circuit except for the gate drive could have caused teir mysterious falure.especially since the high current and voltage ratings I am pretty sure by now there is something wrong with the gates or with how they were driven , but i can't still figure out what , I will measure the gate voltage next time on scope to very precise levels at the IRFP gates , maybe just maybe because the FCH had less gate charge the IR2110 were driving the gates to higher voltage than the IRFP's and that could have caused the gate to break down and short itself with the mosfet's current channel.

also this begs the question which will probably be left unanswered in the light of some funny and " smart' jokes about my circuit :D but does the IR2110 drives the gates with the voltage level it is being supplied or does it has a built in drive mechanism which adjusts the voltage even though i don't see any circuitry on the ic's periphery which would be doing that, so could it be that if the IR2110 gets supplied by 22 or at most say 23 volts DC it would also drive the mosfet with that voltage level?

Last edited:
If the FETs are repeatedly failing, instantly, then, either 1) their breakdown voltage is being exceeded, or 2) the current ratings are being exceeded while gated on. Period. If the failure occurs over slightly longer than instantly then include 3) exceeding the heat dissipation of the package. There is nothing "mysterious" about the failures, other than determining which of the various things you think are so are actually not. Given the conservative nature of IC ratings they are probably being exceeded by a high margin. So resolve to methodically investigate which.

For instance, what's the highest possible ring voltage against the FET, without the snubber? At FET shutoff, V=(1/2)Ldi/dt. If, say, L=200uH, di = 10A and dt is 0.1uS, Vpeak=1000. To investigate current problems, disconnect the AC and run the primary off, say, 18VDC from a couple of nice and safe 9VDC batteries ( scaling your feedback network accordingly.) Try some of those industry references supplied above for help.

Also, if you manage to get this switcher working, your layout and assembly shown in your picture is as likely to render it a big unstable 50 khz radio and spike noise feed into your AC mains as it is a power supply. Because of the current parameters in the example above, i.e. 100A/usec, one can not easily throw a SMPS assembly together on the bench as is possible with other electronic projects, i.e. long wires and no ground planes on the PCB (both of which are the case in your photo).

Last edited:
Salvador said:
could it be that if the IR2110 gets supplied by 22 or at most say 23 volts DC it would also drive the mosfet with that voltage level?
That is the case.
Recommended Operating Conditions. IR2110. VCC Low side fixed supply voltage 10V to 20V
Absolute Maximum Ratings. IR2110. VCC Low side fixed supply voltage 25V

You were warned. In post #40.
If you want your components to survive testing.
1. Get a 100W filament globe in series with the AC supply.
2. Reduce the 4x 680uF to something like 2x 100uF during early low power testing. That will reduce the current spike on control failure.
3. Use a 40W filament globe as the load during early testing.

Ok here is the summary so far from what I have seen , tested , thought and read from your asnwers.
even though the smps looks like a mess it's surprisingly stable , i mena i haven't probed the AC mains side to see any bad feedback thrown into the grid but as long as the secondary side dc and primary side gates are concerned everythings nice and square or nice and flat.

as for the mosfet destruction problem , I think I know the problem , too high IR2110 supply voltage. Can't be anything else beacuse if it were to do with the Drain source voltage being too high or having spikes or the transformer inducing some spikes upon switching then the IRFP's would have long failed because they are less powerful.but they havent.
Due to the IRFP's having three times the capacitance on their gates as the FCH ones the IR2110 has a harder time driving the IRFP460 and so its supply voltage sags to an acceptable value , but when i had the FCH104N60 it's gate charge is lower and the IR2110 probably were driving the gate with something about 21 to maybe 22 volts based on what I know about the capabillities of my small transformer zener supply.
the most logic explanation here and also the most likely one is that somehow the FCH devices were driven with too high gate voltage due to their lower capacitance rating and hence them being easier to drive by the PSU.
also the second time i tried the FCH ones i was having a light bulb in series with the AC mains so current was little and probably didin't cause the damage but voltage was still the same so the IR2110 still got the same voltage and that explains the same results obtained.also when i did the second test with the series AC lightbulb the current could not destroy the mosfet simply by going D-S because the mosfets capability is rated at 37 amps and I was no way near that even wtihout the globe.should have been better to simply use the all in one linear voltage controller. or just get a transformer whose secondary is closer to what i need because messing with these small transformer to rewind them is a pain in the ***.
or should have changed my zeners to regulate to 20 volts with a 15 ohm resistor.

well i guess a mosfet's gate is a really sensitive thing , but now to prove my theory right i should order two more FCH104n60 or anything close to that and reduce my gate voltage levels.would love to the bad side is that they have to be ordered, while the IRFP's are here and three times cheaper and i have gotten good enough output power with them so far.I'll take my tikme to think about this.

The simple resistor–zener regulator really must go. It is very inefficient in that power supply application. It would require an emitter follower to improve efficiency.
Much better to replace it with a 7812 / LM340-12, you might find one in the output of an old desktop computer power supply. The 7812 can handle a maximum input of 35V, so the transformer secondary must be below 24VAC.

There is no advantage in switching MOSFET gates through more voltage than needed as it takes more time to move more charge with no reduction in Rds. A power MOSFET has thousands of gates in parallel. Only one has to fail at 20V to destroy the device.

A comment on cost concerns of a SMPS project like this.

If the primary object is to DIY and thus save money over a complete supply purchase, then that goal is pretty much impossible, here and in eastern Europe, unless all the parts are somehow already on the bench. One can simply not buy and ship all the piece parts of a kW supply, even with zero value on labor and the necessary test equipment, for less than the cost of an off the shelf supply. I see $40/1000W, new, including cooling fan, chassis with safety and FCC approvals, connectors. Used, less still. Otherwise, an effective goal here must then be self-education.

It's basically the fun of building something yourself , the money is not that much of a concern here.Also I really don have most of the parts on the desk , the only ones i have to buy are the power mosfets and driving IC's.
I agree the linear regulator would be better, I just checked my local store (no shipping time) and they have in stock the UA7815, I think I will just go for that , regulated 15 volts @1.5 amps max.the output after bridge and capacitors from my small transfomer is 28v DC so the regulator should be fine.
One question though, ok the zener regulator isn't that effective but since this is a linera regulator wouldn't it produce quite some heat considering it would have to drop bit more than 10 volts on an average of 500mA?
or maybe it has some advanced little circuitry inside and that's not the case.Because usually when I imagine a classical linear regulator I see a half conducting BJT which then is only suited to low current applications due to the excessive heating.

as for the mosfets to take in place , I've been doing some search and I found basically these , IRFP32N50K, is in stock at my local store and costs about 7 euros., but then from the RS catalog I can get SiHG32N50D-GE3 for bit less than 3 euros a piece , I think it's a good price and the datasheets tells me the parameters are good.
surely the fairchild devices may have been better but they also cost more and for this particular application the power I'm getting even with the 460's is almsout enough.
Or maybe the Vishay products are less quality ? Also I don't quite understand the reason for pricing , as from the datasheets i see that amon similar rating mosfets some cost for example in the 7-10 euro range and some others just about 3 to 4 per device. Why is that why would some of otherwise similar rating devices cost more than half less?

Also I see some good high current but lower voltage rated devices.Now here's a question , for example if I used a 50a 200v device for both mosfets in the half bridge , as long as the deadime is kept in check and no spikes occur , the devices should work because the voltage any of the device has to whitstand is only half the rectified mains so about 162 volts in my case.I do realize the device would have a higher chance of failing under some unwanted events like spikes from the primary or else but what do you think?

Last edited:
Salvador said:
One question though, ok the zener regulator isn't that effective but since this is a linera regulator wouldn't it produce quite some heat considering it would have to drop bit more than 10 volts on an average of 500mA?
What is this? The zenner or the 7812? Where does that average 500mA come from? Only current pulses are needed when MOSFETs are switching. Resistor with Zener must carry current maximum needed over the full cycle. It will waste energy whenever current is below peak of cycle, = very poor for power pulses.
Why use a 15V regulator when 12V is more than enough. Higher gate voltages take longer to switch, so overlap of conduction is more likely. Your refusal to follow the original design suggests you must be an anarchist. Come the revolution, things will be different. Not better, just different.

Salvador said:
Or maybe the Vishay products are less quality ?
Buy on specification, not a guess of quality. The quality of your circuit construction is nowhere near as high as quality of Vishay products.

Salvador said:
Also I see some good high current but lower voltage rated devices.Now here's a question , for example if I used a 50a 200v device for both mosfets in the half bridge , as long as the deadime is kept in check and no spikes occur , the devices should work because the voltage any of the device has to whitstand is only half the rectified mains so about 162 volts in my case.I do realize the device would have a higher chance of failing under some unwanted events like spikes from the primary or else but what do you think?
When one mosfet is on the other has full voltage of -162V to +162V = 324V total.

Salvador said:
or maybe it has some advanced little circuitry inside and that's not the case.
A zener regulator with a series resistor is less efficient than a 7815 since the series resistor with the zener is ALWAYS conducting. A 7815 will not operate in this manner. The 7815 only wastes power when there is current passing through it.
Because usually when I imagine a classical linear regulator I see a half conducting BJT which then is only suited to low current applications due to the excessive heating.
There are plenty of linear power supplies out there that are high current supplies. 50 amps is not uncommon.

fun thing tho about the anarchists , i see you like political philosophies, me too, I could call you some interesting names but i doubt that would be productive for this thread, no offence.and after all, I've followed the desing in everything except this thing , sadly i didint rethink it through about the voltage exceeding the mosfets gate capabillity, might have saved the fairchild's.After all I am not that rich, and the local metal recyclers are having enough copper already so my two cents are not necessary.

I see the thing right i forgot that once the high mosfets turns on the only thing between the +ve and ground is the low side mosfet so it then has to be able to whitstand the full ractified mains.

by this i was reffering to the 7812.I think of buying the 7815 because 15 volts is in the acceptable voltage level for a mosfets gate and mainly because the 7812 is not in my store but the 7815 is.after all I've been driving my mosfets with 20 volts and they have stood except for the fairchilds which took a bit more than those 20 and lost the game, 15 vmax should be good.i will see if i can get the 12 volt version but if not ill go with the 15v one.

as for the quality of my circuit, it's not like i can't do nice and high quality stuff it's just that the board I am using here i was actully making it for the very first smps i had years ago which used a simple IR2153 driving a pair of mosfets.I was just too lazy to go all over the board making stuff again and since i had the amplifier boards already and so i just built some periphery stuff and made this smps.
if you have any interest whatsoever I will post some pics of the box my friend welded for me from aluminum which i got at a warehouse.the idea is simple to make the box smaller and requiring less space it's made from aluminum and that also is the heatsink , if thre smps would have been not the first one of such kind i would have made its heatsink also together with the chassis.oh and by the way I see you are a bit eccentric yourself or atleast that's the impression one would get from you r avatar picture which I assume is painted by Salvador Dali, maybe some other not sure , after all Dali is my personal favourite much of his work resonates within me, also the reason why I picked this username. :D Sadly haven't yet had enough will to push myself to put an avatar that would go togeher with this username.

Salvador said:
by this i was reffering to the 7812.I think of buying the 7815 because 15 volts is in the acceptable voltage level for a mosfets gate and mainly because the 7812 is not in my store but the 7815 is.after all I've been driving my mosfets with 20 volts and they have stood except for the fairchilds which took a bit more than those 20 and lost the game, 15 vmax should be good.i will see if i can get the 12 volt version but if not ill go with the 15v one.
Why not look into a 317 adjustable regulator if your source does not have the 7812? Even a 7805 can be used as an adjustable regulator. Changing a design may be acceptable when you consider all of the consequences.

Salvador said:
oh and by the way I see you are a bit eccentric yourself or atleast that's the impression one would get from you r avatar picture which I assume is painted by Salvador Dali, maybe some other not sure ,
My photo of a picture in Tiroler Volkskunstmuseum, unknown 17thC European artist, there are several copies and later versions by different people.
Title is usually “Bird of self knowledge” or “Do not take yourself by the nose”. Google images “bird of self knowledge”.

as to what average supernoca said, since i already modified the circuit and was driving the gates with almoust their maximum and sometimes over that, I think the 15v regulator could barely be called " considering the consequences"
7805? but the last two digits indicate it's a 5v regulator?

thanks Baluncore for the info on that very interesting avatar of yours.Will check out his works.

LM340-xy = 78xy = positive xy voltage regulator.
If you put a 7V zenner in the reference lead of a 7805 it becomes a 12V regulator.

Depending on the MOSFET design, 5V is usually insufficient to guarantee gates are fully conducting. 12V is sufficient. 15V is unnecessary and delays switching.

Salvador said:
Will check out his works.
Let me and the Museum know if you work out who the artist was. She was well ahead of her time.

:D:D, yeah right I said it so that it sounds like the unknown author is someone I know :D
you say she? so they think it was a woman?

You assumed male, but the best way of being written out of history was to be a woman.
Yes, I know it is sexist, but I contend that an unknown artist is therefore more probably a woman than a man.

Salvador said:
7805? but the last two digits indicate it's a 5v regulator?
You can also wire it like an adjustable regulator. We know that the regulator will do what it needs to in order to get 5 volts between the ground pin and the output pin. So if we make a voltage divider between the output and ground and tie the ground PIN to the node between the resistors of our voltage divider the output voltage will be determined by the ratio of the resistors in the divider.

oh interesting so technically , if I make a voltage divider in which the middle point is say at 50 volts measuring to the actual circuit ground then putting the ground pin of the 7805 to that divider's middle point the output from the regulator would be 55 volts?
in other words the regulator only regulates between the two points it is being attached to, no matter that the point which the regulator uses as the reference might actaully be way above the actual common circuit ground or lowest circuit point?

that's quite handy , even though when using the regulator with a resistor voltage divider to achieve higher regulated voltage the current would then be limited to that of the voltage divider correct?
by the way I got my 7815 regulators. will try them soon.

The current in the divider has nothing to do with the current that the regulator can source. This part has not changed. The divider is in parallel with the load. I don't like to take a regulator very far away from the design spec when using that trick. The heat sink tab of a 78xx is connected to the ground pin so this also needs to be kept in mind.
-
Just a quick google: https://www.google.com/#q=using+a+7805+as+an+8+volt+regulator

The 78xx series requires a good solid reference. Once you mess with the ground reference terminal weird things start to happen. For example, a LED in the ref will lift the output by a few volts, dependent on the colour, but in multi-rail supplies it may obstruct the start-up sequence and the output of a regulator may be pulled to reverse polarity.

If you use a 7805 as a 55V reg then all seems OK for steady state, but do not forget that the maximum ref to input voltage is only about 35V. That configuration cannot be started or stopped without risking device failure. An output short circuit will destroy an otherwise protected regulator. By the time you have provided enough protection it has become uneconomic.

Protection circuits are inherently unreliable because they are not always exercised and so cannot be easily tested.

I asked more about the 55 volts as a thought experiment rather than an actual idea of doing something like that since these days one can get all kinds of semiconductors without the need to make something from scratch

Ok folks, I'm back, now here are some fun observations.I now installed the 7815 voltage regulator , it's working nicely , the mosfets driving steady.even when one of the older IR2110 stopped working (it went through alot) the regulator dropped to 2.3 output voltage , then i unplugged the IR2110 and measured the regulator voltage again and saw it coming back to 15 volts , the IR developed a fault somewhere inside but the nice thing about the voltage regulator is that it sensed that fault , probably due to overcurrent and dropped the output saving itself.
Now I changed the IR2110 to a fresh one and the whole show went on.This time I attached a lamp load and a water heater , the old ones which you put in a cup or a pot and just boil some water.the water was heating for some 15 minutes atleast togethr with the lamp.the exact power used is hard to calculate due to the uneven resistance due to heating.

now here's the interesting thing , after all that time i started getting some cracking noises as the water approcahed the boiling point.i disconnected the power and finger measured the heating of various devices , here are the results, the mosfets and their heatsink -cold.everything else was also cold.
two things were hot and one was extremely hot. the output high frequency rectifier diodes (mur1560) with their heatsink were kind of hot but not to the point of device SOA.
Now the 3c85 rated ferrite core itself was so hot i couldn't hold my finger on the ferrite material.and it also made the cracking noises.
what would this indicate, that the ferrite itself is so hot? as much as I can tell either the frequency is too high , which is not the case as it's about 50khz (measured) or the power transmitted through the core was too intense for the core size?

now I am thinking maybe the ceramic cap in series with the resistor across the primary is bad , but I am not sure whether that would have some profound consequences on the core heating.
also i switched the device on with the same load for a few mins and the output rectifiers (mur1560) are running quite hot , is i normal for high power high frequency diodes to run hot under high load? I'm asking this because low frequency mains rectifiers almoust never even heat up under any kinf of load.
im using a standard aluminum plate heatsink for the output rectifier , like the ones that are used in ordinary PC psu where the switching semiconductors are attached to.the particular one is actually from an old pc psu.I think you know about what kinf od aluminum heatsink I am talking about.

Last edited:
Salvador said:
now I am thinking maybe the ceramic cap in series with the resistor across the primary is bad , but I am not sure whether that would have some profound consequences on the core heating.
You are going on a witch hunt. So long as you blame the ceramic capacitor, which is unable to heat the core, you will ignore the transformer.

Is the transformer core hot because it is being over-driven to saturation, or is it being heated by the windings? It is best to design the transformer so the core and windings both run at the same temperature. I think you need less turns, but of thicker wire. Make sure the wire fills the available space in the core.

Maybe you should do something actually meaningful, like measure and report the actual output current and voltage.

the witch hunt is mainly because I don't have a decent scope.lets be real without one building something like an smps is quite a task.but so far I am actually doing pretty good, except for the gate overvoltage mistake and as one good old song goes " with a little help from my friends" ...

Somehow I want to agree that a few turns less and a thicker wire would help.when I made the transformer I used it's own original wire (litz), the one which was on the core from factory, I just reconfigured the turns ration to suit my needs in terms of output voltage.

measure the output current and voltage under what load? I always chekc atleast the voltage , as that's the bare minimum one can do, and when I was boiling my water the voltage stood steady at about 134 volts. +-1 volts as the AC mains ' walks" a little.even at the very last moment of the transformer core becoming so hot as to crack the voltage was still Ok, as soon as I'll get back to the scope I will atleast measure the secondary waveform if not the pirmary also, and then i'll be sure what happens there.
without the scope measurment it's always going to be more or less a guessing thing.

Oh by the way , if the transformer isn't saturating and the wire for example is the correct size and turns ratio is it possible for a ferrite core to heat up simply due to the transformer driving a static heavy load for a considerable amount of time?
atleast soft iron mains frequency transformers do heat up under load , sometimes even till the point were it becomes hard t hold my hand on the core iron , I for example have a japanesse made transformer which i now use in one amplifier and sometimes under heavy load for long hours the transformer heats up quite a lot , hence I added an aluminum heatsink which ventilates the heat into the chasis.

oh and one more , I was searching google without much luck, now everycore size and material has the maximum power limit it can transfer , how could i determine the limit beyond which either excessive heating or losses occur?
I think it has to do with core size and its maximum magnetic field density it can take up until saturation point.and frequency or rate of change ofcourse.

Salvador said:
measure the output current and voltage under what load?
Exactly. The voltage may be regulated, but what is the output current? How many watts is it really delivering?
The output voltage and current gives the load. WLoad = V * I. RLoad = V / I.

The question comes down to... What is the ratio of Wcore to Wwindings ? You will need a thermometer.
Once your core has cracked, do you expect it to have the same magnetic characteristics ?

Back