Record Snowfall Delights Locals - 4" Since 4AM!

• Thread starter Ivan Seeking
  • Start date
In summary: For us, having an inch or two on the ground is a once or twice a year treat. This year we haven't had any significant snow at our place and the forecasters were promising that we would get some, but holy cow! We have gotten about 4 inches since 4AM, and it is expected to continue coming down steadily through tomorrow. This could end up being a record for us!
Schrodinger's Dog said:
I saw a house fly a month ago that's how warm it is atm here! Please no Disney jokes. :wink:
I don't know from Disney, but where the hell do you live that you have flying houses?

Physics news on Phys.org
Danger said:
I don't know from Disney, but where the hell do you live that you have flying houses?

I've seen a horse fly, it's not uncommon over here. :smile:

So you're in Greece? Or have Pegusi gone international?

Danger said:
So you're in Greece? Or have Pegusi gone international?

No England, we see them all the time. I'm surprised you don't. :smile:

Schrodinger's Dog said:
No England, we see them all the time. I'm surprised you don't. :smile:

Probably has something to do with what you feed them.

Danger said:
Probably has something to do with what you feed them.

Yeah its Red Bull apparently it gives you wings.

I'm definitely detecting bull, but I'm not sure what colour it is.

Danger said:
I'm definitely detecting bull, but I'm not sure what colour it is.

Nah it's a fact it's scientific. :smile:

Last edited by a moderator:
:rofl:
I've seen that 'scientist' character in the ads, but never that specific one.
We actually have a bit of a problem with that stuff here. A lot of kids have taken to making highballs with it. Since that's not a good idea, it's illegal for a bar here to make one. On the other hand, they just sell a shot of rye or whatever and a can of Bull; the kids are free to mix it themselves. :rolleyes:
Anyhow, my shift is over, so I'll outta here. Catch you later.

You want snow? We've got snow! Here is a view of the western mountains from the road that I live on.
mountains.jpg

We had snow today but it didn't settle as the ground was wet. :frown:

We had snow again yesterday, but it didn't last long.

Is it perpetual winter for all the members of PF (except me) or something?

dst said:
In Maine, winter can be long and hard on people and wildlife alike. Winter this year is very similar to the winters of the 1950's and 1960's. Lots of snow and enough consistently cold weather to keep it from melting off. We've had a couple of brief thaws and a couple of rainy/drizzly days, but they didn't cause much run-off. Instead they compacted the snow so we don't have 10 feet of fluffy stuff on the ground. In the last several years we have had warm dry winters with little or no snow-cover. This year, our snow-cover is in the top 25% (and climbing) since records have been kept, and its water content is high. As much as I wish for spring to come, I want it to arrive gradually. A sudden warm wet spell could make the disastrous floods of 1987 look like a kiddie pool.

We are definitely into spring here in Oregon. The grass is growing quickly, the trees are blooming, temps are in the mid thirties by night and the high forties by day, we are getting plenty of rain, and the creek is running at a gentle rumble. We have a huge snow pack in the mountains above us so there was a threat of flooding should it get too warm too quickly, but in fact we are still having occasional hail storms at low elevations, so it looks to be an beautiful spring.

It is my favorite time of year in Oregon. Our place takes on a special sweetness when everything comes to life and the creek is still rumbling in the backround. And I'm sitting right in the middle of it in my office - one of the top perks of self-employment and working at home. Of course, on the down side there are days when I only see the light of day on my walk down to the office around 8AM and I don't quit until after midnight. :biggrin:

Last edited:
Ivan Seeking said:
Of course, on the down side there are days when I only see the light of day on my walk down to the office around 8AM and I don't quit until after midnight. :biggrin:
I spent a few years self-employed, and I can assure you that I was about the most demanding boss I've ever had. When I was programming, I'd get on a roll writing code, lose track of time, and only quit when my wife would get up and remind me that I had to be at a client's place in about 6-7 hours. :yuck:

Snow showers today. :rolleyes:

dst said:

And me closest we got was some hail stones last week. Way too warm here. Bit of snow up North though, but nothing serious.

Getting snow again today. Luckily, we seem to be on the northern fringe of the storm and won't get more than a few inches.

2366654127_0216238f80_m.jpg

Finally had some decent snow the other day! Came nearly up to eye level. If you happened to bring your eyes to near ground level for the sake of a photo anyway...
Seriously though, the deepest I saw was 6 inches and that's quite enough for me. Shame it all vanished the day it fell though.

matthyaouw said:
2366654127_0216238f80_m.jpg

Finally had some decent snow the other day! Came nearly up to eye level. If you happened to bring your eyes to near ground level for the sake of a photo anyway...
Seriously though, the deepest I saw was 6 inches and that's quite enough for me. Shame it all vanished the day it fell though.

Nice shot! Look out for the truck coming up behind you!

turbo-1 said:
I spent a few years self-employed, and I can assure you that I was about the most demanding boss I've ever had. When I was programming, I'd get on a roll writing code, lose track of time, and only quit when my wife would get up and remind me that I had to be at a client's place in about 6-7 hours. :yuck:

That sounds just like our house! Although half the time I don't know if Ivan has a meeting or not because I couldn't stay up long enough (and I get off work at midnight and go to bed around 3 or 4 a.m.!) to see him when he finally came up to the house. If the car is gone in the morning when I get up, I know he had a meeting with someone, somewhere. The man is a workaholic.

Tsu said:
That sounds just like our house! Although half the time I don't know if Ivan has a meeting or not because I couldn't stay up long enough (and I get off work at midnight and go to bed around 3 or 4 a.m.!) to see him when he finally came up to the house. If the car is gone in the morning when I get up, I know he had a meeting with someone, somewhere. The man is a workaholic.
My wife tried to keep me from self-destructing, but after over 10 years of industrial shift-work she was willing to let me beat myself up a lot more than she'd tolerate today.

It's snowing in chunks here. Yay! Looks like it might even be quite deep. First time in about 20 years. Bloody global warming. :smile:

Friday - beautiful day, snow is all gone and melted, the temperature is plus 7, people are out riding their motorcycles, jogging, and just enjoying the day.

Saturday - Wake up. Look outside to find it snowed a few inches and looks like a winter wonderland again. At least it was warm.

Easy come easy go it was all gone by midday, now it's a beautiful sunny day. All in all a win/win day. :smile:

We had heavy, wet slushy snow on Friday, a little sun yesterday and heavy overcast today. the AccuWeather forecast calls for lots of 50 deg weather for the next week with below-freezing nights. If we can stay in a weather pattern like that for the next several weeks, the snow-pack might decrease enough to lessen the danger of flooding.

According to the calendar, spring is here, but here is what my house looks like today from the road. Yes, there is still a wreath on the door - what can I say? :redface:

springhouse.jpg

It's FREEZING

It is freezing outside and we are supposed to have snow tonight, tomorrow AND the day after. This is UNREAL.

The stores have already received their spring shipments of plants and they're trying to stack them inside in any space they can find instead of outside in the garden center. No one's buying any plants because IT'S SNOWING. :bugeye:

Last edited:
Evo said:
It is freezing outside and we are supposed to have snow tonight, tomorrow AND the day after. This is UNREAL.

The stores have already received their spring shipments of plants and they're trying to stack them inside in any space they can find instead of outside in the garden center. No one's buying any plants because IT'S SNOWING. :bugeye:
Is that typical or is this a late winter? I'm aware that the mid-section of the US has been getting some nasty weather.

We traditionally do not plant until Mother's Day - 2nd Sunday in May because we could conceivably have a frost by May 15.

Oddly enough, balancing the cold in the west is an unusual hot North East Asia for the time of the year.

Last edited by a moderator:
We are supposed to hit 70 degrees F this weekend! Yippie!

Ivan Seeking said:
We are supposed to hit 70 degrees F this weekend! Yippie!
We are supposed to get mixed rain and snow all weekend. yay...

Astronuc said:
Is that typical or is this a late winter?
Definitely not typical, our highs should be near 70F and our lows near 45-50F, instead, our highs have been in the mid forties. We are in planting zone 3 for outdoor planting of annuals in April.

Evo said:
Definitely not typical, our highs should be near 70F and our lows near 45-50F, instead, our highs have been in the mid forties. We are in planting zone 3 for outdoor planting of annuals in April.
I am just now getting glimpses of soil in my vegetable garden and a few spots of lawn on areas that are favorably elevated toward the mid-day sun. The snow on the front lawn is still 2' deep or more. This is atypical of the last decade or so, but not to different from the winters of the '50s and '60s.

Our high today was about 58°F (14°), although by the river and outside the city, it was a few degrees cooler. Up around Saratoga Springs, it was low 30's °F.

We are supposed to have some rain, possibly heavy, this weekend, then by Monday, below freezing temperatures overnight.

<h2>What caused the record snowfall?</h2><p>The record snowfall was caused by a combination of weather patterns and atmospheric conditions that brought in a large amount of moisture to the region.</p><h2>How much snowfall was recorded?</h2><p>The exact amount of snowfall recorded will vary depending on the specific location, but on average, the region saw a record-breaking amount of snow since 4AM.</p><h2>How did the locals react to the record snowfall?</h2><p>The locals were delighted by the record snowfall, as it provided a rare opportunity for them to enjoy winter activities and create memories with their families and friends.</p><h2>Will this record snowfall have any long-term effects?</h2><p>It is unlikely that this record snowfall will have any significant long-term effects on the region, as it is a natural occurrence and the snow will eventually melt.</p><h2>Is this record snowfall a result of climate change?</h2><p>It is difficult to determine if this specific record snowfall can be directly attributed to climate change, as it is a complex and ongoing issue. However, it is important to note that extreme weather events, including heavy snowfall, can be a result of climate change and its effects on global weather patterns.</p>

What caused the record snowfall?

The record snowfall was caused by a combination of weather patterns and atmospheric conditions that brought in a large amount of moisture to the region.

How much snowfall was recorded?

The exact amount of snowfall recorded will vary depending on the specific location, but on average, the region saw a record-breaking amount of snow since 4AM.

How did the locals react to the record snowfall?

The locals were delighted by the record snowfall, as it provided a rare opportunity for them to enjoy winter activities and create memories with their families and friends.

Will this record snowfall have any long-term effects?

It is unlikely that this record snowfall will have any significant long-term effects on the region, as it is a natural occurrence and the snow will eventually melt.

Is this record snowfall a result of climate change?

It is difficult to determine if this specific record snowfall can be directly attributed to climate change, as it is a complex and ongoing issue. However, it is important to note that extreme weather events, including heavy snowfall, can be a result of climate change and its effects on global weather patterns.