Solid State Question: A Confusing Integral in Ashcroft

In summary, the conversation is about understanding Ashcroft's derivation of energy density on page 38. The person speaking is following most of the arguments, but is confused about the absence of a vector in EQ 2.30 and how it relates to the integral. They mention their professor's explanation of converting to polar/spherical when the argument is a modulus of a vector, but are still unsure. They provide a reference to the textbook and clarify that the notation may be confusing. The other person confirms that the notation just represents an integral over k space.
kq6up
I am trying to undersand Ashcroft's derivation of energy density on page 38. I am following most of the arguments save EQ 2.30. Where did the vector go? I did follow my professors argument for converting to polar/spherical when the argument of a function is a modulus of a vector — exploiting symmetry to make a nice easy integral. However, it is a whole other matter two have an actual vector in the integrand. I would expect it to be dotted into something in order to have it equal a scalar (other than zero). I am scratching my head here. The steps leading up to this are a little long, so I am just leaving it as a reference and hoping you guys have access to this textbook.

Thanks,
Chris

Physics news on Phys.org
I think it's not a vector in the integrand.
$$d\mathbf{k} = dk_x \, dk_y\,dk_z $$
This may be confusing since the total derivative of ##\mathbf{k}## would also be denoted ##d\mathbf{k}##, but I think represents something different. However I believe in this case it just means an integral over k space. So just a somewhat confusing notation.

Perfect, thank you.

Chris

1. What is a solid state question?

A solid state question is a type of question that involves the study of solid materials, their properties, and the ways in which they interact with each other. It often involves concepts from physics, chemistry, and materials science.

2. What is an integral in Ashcroft's solid state question?

In Ashcroft's solid state question, an integral refers to a mathematical calculation that is used to determine the behavior of a system of particles in a solid material. It involves integrating a function over a given range of values.

3. Why is the integral in Ashcroft's solid state question considered confusing?

The integral in Ashcroft's solid state question is considered confusing because it involves complex mathematical concepts and can be difficult to solve without a deep understanding of mathematics and physics. It also requires a thorough understanding of the properties of solid materials.

4. What are some practical applications of solid state questions?

Solid state questions have many practical applications, including the development of new materials for electronic devices, the study of superconductors and semiconductors, and the design of new energy storage technologies. They are also important in fields such as nanotechnology, metallurgy, and geology.

5. How can one approach solving a solid state question?

To solve a solid state question, one must first have a basic understanding of the principles of solid state physics and mathematics. It is important to carefully analyze the given information and identify the relevant equations and concepts. Using these, one can then manipulate the equations and use mathematical techniques to solve the problem and arrive at a solution.