Solve EMF & Ohm's Law for Coil w/Magnetic Field Angle

• Thread starter takumi_91
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Emf
In summary: A * 25Ω) / (110 * 4.1cm^2 * cos20°) = 0.072 T/sIn summary, the rate of change of the magnetic field strength that will induce a current of 4.3 A in the coil is 0.072 T/s. If the magnetic field makes an angle of 20° with the normal to the plane of the coil, the required rate of change of the magnetic field strength is 0.072 T/s.
takumi_91
heres the question:

A 110 turn coil has a radius of 4.1 cm and a resistance of 25 Ohm. The coil is in a uniform magnetic field that is perpendicular to the plane of the coil. What rate of change of the magnetic field strength will induce a current of 4.3 A in the coil? What rate of change of the magnetic field strength is required if the magnetic field makes an angle of 20° with the normal to the plane of the coil?

Homework Equations

i know that i need to use faradays equation:E = -n(dtheta/dt), and Ohm's law:V =IR

i don't know how to get 'dt' for my equation. i know there is another way to do this problem but i can't really come up with anything at the moment

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
you are asked to find the rate of change of the magnetic field strength (I assume B not H since it is hard to figure this out from the context)

[tex] \frac{dB}{dt} [/tex]

we know that

[tex] \mathcal{E} = -N \frac{d\Phi_B}{dt} [/tex]

so what is?

[tex] \Phi_B[/tex]

waht said:
you are asked to find the rate of change of the magnetic field strength (I assume B not H since it is hard to figure this out from the context)

[tex] \frac{dB}{dt} [/tex]

we know that

[tex] \mathcal{E} = -N \frac{d\Phi_B}{dt} [/tex]

so what is?

[tex] \Phi_B[/tex]

Given the question refers to magnetic field strength rather than flux density, then
I guess you could (for the purpose of obtaining a solution) "safely" assume it's an air cored coil and free of the influence of any nearby magnetic material.

[tex]\PhiB[/tex] = B * A (dot product)

Magnetic Flux = B dot A

Because the Area is constant
d[tex]\Phi[/tex]/dt = dB/dt * A cos 20

so emf = N d[tex]\Phi[/tex]/dt

We know emf because of ohm's law V=iR

Therefore,

iR = dB/dt * N * A cos20

dB/dt = (iR)/(NA cos20)

Last edited:

Related to Solve EMF & Ohm's Law for Coil w/Magnetic Field Angle

What is EMF?

EMF stands for electromotive force and refers to the voltage or electrical potential difference generated by a source, such as a battery or a generator. It is measured in volts (V).

What is Ohm's Law?

Ohm's Law states that the current through a conductor between two points is directly proportional to the voltage across the two points, and inversely proportional to the resistance between them. It can be represented by the equation I = V/R, where I is the current, V is the voltage, and R is the resistance.

How do you solve for EMF in a coil with a magnetic field angle?

To solve for EMF in a coil with a magnetic field angle, you can use the equation EMF = -N * (dΦ/dt), where N is the number of turns in the coil and dΦ/dt is the change in magnetic flux over time. The magnetic flux can be calculated using the equation Φ = B * A * cos(θ), where B is the magnetic field strength, A is the area of the coil, and θ is the angle between the magnetic field and the normal to the coil.

What is the relationship between EMF and magnetic field angle in a coil?

The EMF induced in a coil is directly proportional to the magnetic field strength and the number of turns in the coil, and is also affected by the angle between the magnetic field and the normal to the coil. As the angle increases, the EMF decreases, and when the angle is 90 degrees, the EMF becomes zero.

How does Ohm's Law apply to a coil with a magnetic field angle?

In a coil with a magnetic field angle, Ohm's Law can be used to calculate the current flowing through the coil. The resistance in this case would be the total resistance of the coil and any external circuit elements. The current can then be used to calculate the power dissipated in the coil using the equation P = I^2 * R.