1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Solinoid EMF question

1. May 14, 2009 #1
    heres the question:

A 110 turn coil has a radius of 4.1 cm and a resistance of 25 Ohm. The coil is in a uniform magnetic field that is perpendicular to the plane of the coil. What rate of change of the magnetic field strength will induce a current of 4.3 A in the coil? What rate of change of the magnetic field strength is required if the magnetic field makes an angle of 20° with the normal to the plane of the coil?

2. Relevant equations

i know that i need to use faradays equation:E = -n(dtheta/dt), and Ohm's law:V =IR

i dont know how to get 'dt' for my equation. i know there is another way to do this problem but i cant really come up with anything at the moment

Last edited: May 15, 2009
  2. jcsd
  3. May 15, 2009 #2
    you are asked to find the rate of change of the magnetic field strength (I assume B not H since it is hard to figure this out from the context)

[tex] \frac{dB}{dt} [/tex]

we know that

[tex] \mathcal{E} = -N \frac{d\Phi_B}{dt} [/tex]

so what is?

[tex] \Phi_B[/tex]

4. May 16, 2009 #3
    Given the question refers to magnetic field strength rather than flux density, then
    I guess you could (for the purpose of obtaining a solution) "safely" assume it's an air cored coil and free of the influence of any nearby magnetic material.

5. May 16, 2009 #4
    [tex]\PhiB[/tex] = B * A (dot product)

6. May 16, 2009 #5
    Magnetic Flux = B dot A

Because the Area is constant
    d[tex]\Phi[/tex]/dt = dB/dt * A cos 20

so emf = N d[tex]\Phi[/tex]/dt

We know emf because of ohm's law V=iR

Therefore,

iR = dB/dt * N * A cos20

dB/dt = (iR)/(NA cos20)

Last edited: May 16, 2009
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook