Solve Boyle's Law Problem: Calculate Atmospheric Pressure

In summary, a narrow uniform glass tube contains air enclosed by a thread of mercury 15cm long. When held vertically, the air column is 20.0cm long and when held horizontally, the air column is 24.0cm long. Using the equation P1V1 = P2V2, it can be determined that the atmospheric pressure is 75cmHg.
lionely
A narrow uniform glass tube contains air enclosed by a thread of mercury 15cm long.
When the tube is held vertically, with the closed end at the bottom,the air column is 20.0cm long, but when it is held horizontally the air column is 24.0cm long. Calculate the atmospheric pressure.

357f5sj.png

I drew a diagram I'm not sure if it's correct, I know that I'm supposed to subtract the mercury height from the barometric height but I don't get the correct answer. Please help me.

Physics news on Phys.org
hi lionely! :smile:

call the atmospheric pressure "A" (in cm of mercury)

since the mercury is stationary, what must be the pressure exerted on it by the enclosed air in each case? :wink:

A + the mercury heights?

(just got up :zzz: …)

what about the weight of the mercury? :confused:

Can't we just work it out in cmHg?

(just got up :zzz: …)

we are!

but we need to know what forces (or pressures) we have to include, and whether to add or subtract …

for that, you need to decide which forces are acting on the mercury

soo … what about the weight of the mercury (in either case)?​

well mg acts down, so in the second case I would assume the effect is not as great.

add the forces, luke! o:)

P1V1 = P2V2

(p+15)(20A) = P x 24A

20P + 300 = 24P

P = 300/4 = 75cmHg

Is that it ?

yup! :biggrin:

Thanks for your help man XD

Related to Solve Boyle's Law Problem: Calculate Atmospheric Pressure

1. What is Boyle's Law?

Boyle's Law is a gas law that describes the relationship between the pressure and volume of a gas at a constant temperature. It states that as the volume of a gas decreases, the pressure of the gas increases proportionally, and vice versa.

2. How do you calculate atmospheric pressure using Boyle's Law?

To calculate atmospheric pressure using Boyle's Law, you need to know the initial volume and pressure of the gas, as well as the final volume. The equation to use is P1V1 = P2V2, where P1 is the initial pressure, V1 is the initial volume, P2 is the final pressure, and V2 is the final volume.

3. What units are used to measure pressure in Boyle's Law?

In Boyle's Law, pressure is typically measured in units of Pascals (Pa) or atmospheres (atm). However, other units such as millimeters of mercury (mmHg) or pounds per square inch (psi) can also be used.

4. How does temperature affect Boyle's Law?

Boyle's Law assumes that the temperature of the gas remains constant. If the temperature changes, the relationship between pressure and volume will also change. This is described by the Combined Gas Law, which takes into account the effect of temperature on gases.

5. Can Boyle's Law be applied to all gases?

Boyle's Law can be applied to most gases, as long as the temperature remains constant. However, it is most accurate for ideal gases, which have no intermolecular forces and behave according to the ideal gas law. Real gases may deviate from Boyle's Law at high pressures or low temperatures.