Solve Complex Integral Homework

In summary: The integrand has an essential singularity at infinity. Therefore, you need to use the residue theorem to solve this integral.In summary, the conversation discusses the process of solving the integral \int_{-\infty}^{\infty}xe^{(a-x)^2}dx using Cauchy's Residue theorem. The individual suggests rewriting the integral and using the residue theorem to calculate the integral. However, this method does not yield the correct answer and the conversation shifts to discussing the poles and contour to integrate over. The solution is eventually found by expanding the integrand in a series about infinity and finding the coefficient of z^{-1} to determine the residue.
IHateMayonnaise

Homework Statement

I need to solve:

[tex]\int_{-\infty}^{\infty}xe^{(a-x)^2}dx[/tex]

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

My first intuition would be to rewrite this as:

[tex]\oint_cze^{(a-z)^2}dz[/tex]

and then use Cauchy's Residue theorem to calculate the integral. There is one singularity at [itex]x_o=0[/itex] when [itex]x[/itex]->[itex]\infty[/itex]. To calculate the residue,[tex]Res(z_o)=(z-z_o)f(z) |_{z=z_o}[/tex]

where in this case

[tex]f(z)=ze^{(a-x)^2}[/tex]

So, we have

[tex]Res(0)=(z-0)ze^{(a-z)^2}|_{z=0}[/tex]

[tex]=0[/tex]

which is clearly not right (mathematica gives [itex]a\sqrt{\pi}[/itex]. What am I doing wrong? Any hints? Thanks!

EDIT: if you take the derivative of the residue twice and then taking the limit you get [itex]2e^{-a^2}[/itex], and multiplying this by [itex]2\pi i[/itex] still doesn't give the answer!

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
No, the solution is much simplier. Make the substitution u=a-x, then note that:
[tex]
\frac{d}{dx}\left(\frac{1}{2}e^{x^{2}}\right) =xe^{x^{2}}
[/tex]

Just thought, did you mean to write:
[tex]
\int_{-\infty}^{\infty}xe^{-(a-x)^{2}}
[/tex]
as the integral you wrote down was unbounded

hunt_mat said:
Just thought, did you mean to write:
[tex]
\int_{-\infty}^{\infty}xe^{-(a-x)^{2}}
[/tex]
as the integral you wrote down was unbounded

Yes isn't that what I had? I am supposed to integrate it over the complex plane, this is what the problem asks and I won't get credit if I do it any other way.

Right, what are the poles? What contour are you going to integrate it over?

hunt_mat said:
Right, what are the poles? What contour are you going to integrate it over?

There's only one pole right? At [itex]x->\infty[/itex]?

Typically I would integrate over the upper hemisphere.

The problem for the residues is that the integrand is well defined for all values of x (and hence z), So I think that you're going to have to do a Laurent series expansion about z=infinty and work the residues from there.

hunt_mat said:
The problem for the residues is that the integrand is well defined for all values of x (and hence z), So I think that you're going to have to do a Laurent series expansion about z=infinty and work the residues from there.

I am not seeing how to do this.. my math methods books don't seem to be of much help. Can you recommend some literature specific to this?

thanks for your help by the way!

Hmm, The problem here is the integral screams not to be done via complesx analysis.

Try looking at the Laurent expansion about infinity, I.e. expand in a series in z^{-1} and find the coefficent of z^{-1} by the usual method and that should be your residue.

IHateMayonnaise said:
There's only one pole right? At [itex]x->\infty[/itex]?

Wrong.

Related to Solve Complex Integral Homework

1. What is a complex integral?

A complex integral is an integral that involves complex numbers as its limits of integration, integrand, or both. It is a generalization of the familiar real-valued integrals, and is used in various branches of mathematics and physics to solve problems involving complex functions.

2. How do I solve a complex integral?

To solve a complex integral, you first need to identify the type of integral you are dealing with (e.g. contour integral, line integral, surface integral). Then, you can use various techniques such as substitution, integration by parts, or the Cauchy integral theorem to evaluate the integral.

3. What are some common applications of complex integrals?

Complex integrals have various applications in mathematics, physics, and engineering. They are commonly used to find the area under curves in the complex plane, calculate the work done by a complex force field, and solve problems involving complex functions such as the evaluation of residues.

4. Are there any tips for solving complex integrals?

Yes, there are some tips that can help you solve complex integrals more efficiently. One tip is to carefully choose the contour of integration to simplify the integrand. Another tip is to use symmetry to your advantage, if possible. It is also useful to be familiar with common complex functions and their properties.

5. What are some common mistakes when solving complex integrals?

Some common mistakes when solving complex integrals include forgetting to include the constant of integration, making errors in algebraic manipulations, and not carefully considering the branch cuts and branch points of the complex functions involved. It is important to double-check your work and be aware of potential pitfalls when solving complex integrals.