Solve Flux Across a Sphere: 4πa

• Thread starter physics_197
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Sphere
In summary: Yes, this seems to me a problem that is leading to Gauss' Theorem, which is:\int \nabla \cdot F dV = \frac 6 {a^2} \int 1 dV = \frac 6 {a^2} \times \frac 4 3 \pi a^3 = 8 \pi a
physics_197

Homework Statement

T(x,y,z) = -ln(x^2+y^2+z^2), F = -grad(T); S is the sphere x^2+y^2+z^2=a^2

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Given:
F = (2/a^2) <x,y,z>

and the sphere x^2+y^2+z^2 = a^2

F (dot) n = (2/a^2) <x,y,z> (dot) (x/z,y/z,1)

In the end I get:

the double integral of: 2(a^2 - x^2 - y^2)^-0.5

Changing to polar coords I get:
2r / (a^2-r^2 ) drd(theta)
with limits: 0 < r < a and 0 < theta < 2pi

Once I solve it, I get an answer of: 4(pi)a, but the answer in the back is 8(pi)a
Is the answer in the back wrong? or did I make a mistake somewhere.

Physics news on Phys.org
physics_197 said:
F (dot) n = (2/a^2) <x,y,z> (dot) (x/z,y/z,1)

It seems to me that you assume that the normal vector n on the sphere is (x/z, y/z, 1) which is not true.
The normal vector has unit length.
Since any vector in the sphere has length a, the normal vector n is (x/a, y/a, z/a).
Does this answer your question?

When I try to use that, (x/a, y/a, z/a), I get an answer without 'a' in it.

physics_197 said:
When I try to use that, (x/a, y/a, z/a), I get an answer without 'a' in it.

So we have:
[tex]F \cdot n = \frac 2 {a^2} \vec x \cdot \frac 1 a \vec x[/tex]

And we have: [tex]\vec x \cdot \vec x = a^2[/tex]

So how does 'a' disappear?

I like Serena said:
So we have:
[tex]F \cdot n = \frac 2 {a^2} \vec x \cdot \frac 1 a \vec x[/tex]

And we have: [tex]\vec x \cdot \vec x = a^2[/tex]

So how does 'a' disappear?

Yeh, I retried it and now I get 2(pi)a

When I converted to polar coords, I forgot about the rdrd(theta) part, so when i integrated wrt to r, I had (a-0) and that a canceled with the one on the bottom. When it should have been (a^2-0)

physics_197 said:
Yeh, I retried it and now I get 2(pi)a

When I converted to polar coords, I forgot about the rdrd(theta) part, so when i integrated wrt to r, I had (a-0) and that a canceled with the one on the bottom. When it should have been (a^2-0)

Apparently you're integrating over r and theta, but to integrate over the sphere surface, you need to integrate over theta and phi (at constant r=a).

I like Serena said:
Apparently you're integrating over r and theta, but to integrate over the sphere surface, you need to integrate over theta and phi (at constant r=a).

Thank you very much, I got 8(pi)a now.

Is there anyway of checking the correct answer? Because I have another question similar to it but this one doesn't have the answer at the back.

physics_197 said:
Thank you very much, I got 8(pi)a now.

Is there anyway of checking the correct answer? Because I have another question similar to it but this one doesn't have the answer at the back.

Yes, this seems to me a problem that is leading to Gauss' Theorem, which is:
a65fd4259c814deaad6e1651e155156b.png

With div F = 6/a^2 and the volume of the sphere being 4/3 pi a^3, you can see that

[tex]\int \nabla \cdot F dV = \frac 6 {a^2} \int 1 dV = \frac 6 {a^2} \times \frac 4 3 \pi a^3 = 8 \pi a[/tex]
[EDIT]I've put in an extra step in the above formula[/EDIT]

Last edited:

Related to Solve Flux Across a Sphere: 4πa

1. What is flux?

Flux is a physical quantity that represents the flow of a certain property through a given surface. It is typically measured in units of a property per unit area, such as electric field per unit area or heat energy per unit area.

2. How do you calculate flux across a sphere?

To calculate flux across a sphere, you can use the formula 4πa, where a is the radius of the sphere. This formula is derived from the surface area of a sphere (4πr^2) and the fact that flux is evenly distributed over the surface of a sphere.

3. What is the significance of the number 4π in the formula for flux across a sphere?

The number 4π represents the total solid angle of a sphere. It is a mathematical concept that measures the amount of space covered by an object when viewed from a single point. In the case of a sphere, it is the entire surface area that is visible when viewed from the center.

4. Is the flux across a sphere constant?

Yes, the flux across a sphere is constant. This is because the flux is evenly distributed over the entire surface of the sphere, and the surface area of a sphere does not change with distance from the center. Therefore, the flux remains the same at any point on the surface of the sphere.

5. Can the formula 4πa be applied to other shapes besides a sphere?

No, the formula 4πa is specific to a sphere and cannot be applied to other shapes. Other shapes have different surface areas and solid angles, so the formula for calculating flux will be different for each shape.