Solve for the sum of 3 cable forces on one anchor point

• Thread starter aatari
  • Start date
aatari
Please type your math work into the forum using LaTeX instead of posting images of your work
Homework Statement
I solved this problem using two methods and my answer for the angle (Fr) is different for each solution. I am trying to figure out what I am doing wrong but I am stuck.

I know solution 2 is correct but why am I getting the incorrect angle when I use the sine law in sol1.

Please see attached for my work; any feedback will be greatly appreciated.
Relevant Equations
A/sina = B/sinb = C/sinc
Question.JPG
sol.JPG

Physics news on Phys.org
What solutions are there to ##\sin(\theta)=x##?

Your calculation of ##\theta_1## is not correct; its value should be 115.74°.

Lnewqban said:
Your calculation of ##theta_1## is not correct; its value should be 115.74°.
See post #2.

Lnewqban said:
Your calculation of ##\theta_1## is not correct; its value should be 115.74°.
Could you kindly explain how? When I plug the values in my calculator I get 64.27.

aatari said:
Could you kindly explain how? When I plug the values in my calculator I get 64.27.
See post #2.

aatari said:
I am unable to explain how mathematically.
Please, see attachment, which may help you find the error.

Attachments

• Resultant force 2.pdf
    15.6 KB · Views: 58

1. What is the formula for solving the sum of 3 cable forces on one anchor point?

The formula for solving the sum of 3 cable forces on one anchor point is F1 + F2 + F3 = ΣF, where F1, F2, and F3 are the individual cable forces and ΣF is the total sum of the forces.

2. How do you determine the direction of the sum of the forces?

The direction of the sum of the forces can be determined by using vector addition. Draw each cable force as a vector with its magnitude and direction, and then add the vectors together to find the resultant force, which will be the direction of the sum of the forces.

3. What units are used for the sum of 3 cable forces?

The units for the sum of 3 cable forces will depend on the units used for the individual cable forces. Make sure to use consistent units throughout the calculation, such as Newtons (N) for force or pounds (lbs) for weight.

4. Can the sum of 3 cable forces be negative?

Yes, the sum of 3 cable forces can be negative if the individual cable forces have opposite directions. This indicates that the cables are pulling in different directions and the resultant force is in the opposite direction.

5. What is the significance of solving for the sum of 3 cable forces on one anchor point?

Solving for the sum of 3 cable forces on one anchor point is important in engineering and physics applications, as it helps determine the overall stability and balance of a structure. It also allows for the calculation of the tension on each cable, which is crucial for ensuring the safety and structural integrity of the system.