Solve Heat Transfer Problem: Copper & Iron Rods Joined Together

In summary, the problem involves finding the temperature at the midpoint where a cylindrical copper rod and an iron rod are welded together, with the outside ends held at different temperatures. This cannot be solved using specific heat capacity, but instead requires looking up the thermal conductivity for each metal. The equation Q/Change T = K(A/L)*change in T can be used to find the temperature at the junction, with the area and length cancelling out. The final equation to solve for the temperature at the midpoint is T(junction)= T2 + (T1-T2)*kCu/(kCu+kFe), where T1 and T2 are the temperatures at the outside ends of the copper and iron rods, respectively.
poont2

Homework Statement

A cylindrical copper rod and an iron rod with exactly the same dimensions are welded together end to end. The outside end of the copper rod is held at 130 C, and the outside end of the iron rod is held at 0 C

What is the temperature at the midpoint where the rods are joined together?

Homework Equations

Q=MCdT ?
specific heat of iron =0.46 KJ/ kg k
specific heat of copper = 0.39 kj/ kg k

The Attempt at a Solution

this problem look so easy but I really have no idea how to approah to this problem,, i tried 65 C but its wrong

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
What is the question?

Poont probably needs to find the temperature at the copper /iron interface and to assume that the bar is perfectly lagged

sorry i forgot to post the question, it is What is the temperature at the midpoint where the rods are joined together?

Hello poont.You cannot solve the problem using specific heat capacity.You need to look up thermal conductivity.

How do you approch this problem. I have the same one. I thought you could use specific heat also. Guess not.

You can't use the equation Q/Change T = K(A/L)*change in T

because since our length is zero, it would cancel everything else. And it doesn't even provide the area.

Please help

Hello Zotelo,Yes you do use that equation.At steady state(when all the temperatures equalise) the heat flow per second (Q/Change using your symbols) is the same all along the bar.In other words K(A/L)* change in T Is the same for both metals.Put the numbers in and things cancel out.You will need to look up k for Cu and Fe.

Dadface
OKay so the k for copper is 400W/mK and for Iron it is 80W/mk
I am sorry, but I honestly don't understand it. Obviously the units m will cancel out, including the units K. So you are left with W. Thats all I could figure out. I am really lost. I am looking at my book, and there's a couple of examples that I understand. But they provide the Area, and length. Plug and Chug. But this one they only provide the change in temperature. Please help me/us.

I got it... I looked it up on google. The way they solved it...

T(junction) = T2 + (T1-T2)*kCu/(kCu+kFe)
= 0 + (100-0)*400/(400+80)
= 83.33 C

Its the correct answer... if the copper was at 100 C. (my problem was a different version)

would you please explain to me how they set up the equation?

for copper Q/Change=400(A/l)*T change
For iron Q/change=80(A/l)* T change
Q/change is the same for both metals so link the equations and A/l cancels.You need to write an expression for the temperature difference across the copper and iron and pluggitychug.

okay thanks. I am still a little bit confused. thanks for the help. :)

Related to Solve Heat Transfer Problem: Copper & Iron Rods Joined Together

1. What is heat transfer?

Heat transfer is the process of thermal energy being exchanged between two objects or systems due to a temperature difference. This can occur through conduction, convection, or radiation.

2. How do copper and iron rods joined together affect heat transfer?

When copper and iron rods are joined together, they form a thermal contact where heat can be transferred between the two materials. This transfer of heat can be affected by the thermal conductivity and specific heat capacity of the materials.

3. What is the difference between conduction and convection in heat transfer?

Conduction is the transfer of heat through direct contact between two materials, while convection is the transfer of heat through the movement of a fluid or gas. In the case of the copper and iron rods, heat transfer would primarily occur through conduction.

4. How can the heat transfer problem of copper and iron rods be solved?

To solve the heat transfer problem of copper and iron rods, you would need to know the temperature difference between the two materials, the thermal conductivity and specific heat capacity of each material, and the length and cross-sectional area of the rods. These values can then be used in equations such as Fourier's Law to calculate the rate of heat transfer.

5. What are some real-world applications of heat transfer between copper and iron rods?

Heat transfer between copper and iron rods is commonly seen in household appliances such as stovetops, where copper coils are used to conduct heat to iron pans. This type of heat transfer is also important in industrial processes such as metal casting, where precise temperature control is necessary for the production of high-quality products.