Maximizing Volume of a Container Using Quadratic Equations

• Thread starter Sombra
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Integral
In summary: It's nothing of the sort. I get one clean integer solution, the other rational but nonintegral solution is obviously inadmissible. Check your work again.
Sombra
I need a little help. Could someone get me started (or tell me what's wrong with what I have)?

1. Show that if y = x^(-1/2), x>o, then y' + y/2x = 0
First I found the derivitive of y, which came to be -1/2 x^(-3/2). Then I added it to y/2x, and substituted the value of y in terms of x, but it didn't work. I'm left with a fraction and nasty exponents.

2. A rectangle is made by cutting out four squares of x cm length from the corners of a 25 cm by 40 cm rectangular sheet of metal and folding the remaining sheet to form the container. What size squares must be cut out in order to maximize the volume of the container?

First, I stated that V= lwh and l= 40-2x, w=25-2x, h= x and, plugging in these values, I found that dV/dx = 1000-260x-12x^2. Then I solved it quadratically and it didn't work.

Could you put me in the right direction? Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
For Question 1, [tex]y' + \frac{y}{2x} = 0[/tex]. This means that you have to show that [tex]y' = -\frac{y}{2x}[/tex] or [tex] y' = - \frac{x^{-\frac{1}{2}}}{2x}[/tex]. This is because [tex]y = x^{-\frac{1}{2}}[/tex].

You say that you managed to find that [tex]y' = -\frac{1}{2}x^{-\frac{3}{2}}[/tex]. This is correct.

So now you just have to play around with [tex]-\frac{1}{2}x^{-\frac{3}{2}}[/tex] and try to turn it into [tex]- \frac{x^-{\frac{1}{2}}}{2x}[/tex].

Last edited:
Sombra said:
I need a little help. Could someone get me started (or tell me what's wrong with what I have)?

1. Show that if y = x^(-1/2), x>o, then y' + y/2x = 0
First I found the derivitive of y, which came to be -1/2 x^(-3/2). Then I added it to y/2x, and substituted the value of y in terms of x, but it didn't work. I'm left with a fraction and nasty exponents.

Derivative correct, substitution wrong. Try again, and you should get the right answer.

2. A rectangle is made by cutting out four squares of x cm length from the corners of a 25 cm by 40 cm rectangular sheet of metal and folding the remaining sheet to form the container. What size squares must be cut out in order to maximize the volume of the container?

First, I stated that V= lwh and l= 40-2x, w=25-2x, h= x and, plugging in these values, I found that dV/dx = 1000-260x-12x^2. Then I solved it quadratically and it didn't work.

Could you put me in the right direction? Thanks!

There is a sign wrong in your expression for dV/dx. Fix it and it should be good.

Sombra said:
I found that dV/dx = 1000-260x-12x^2.

Check your signs there.

Edit : Nevermind. curious just said the same thing.

ok, I got the 1st one. For the second one, I did have the sign right, I just typed it wrong here. I still end up with an irrational quadratic equation.

What solution do you get for the quadratic ?

Sombra said:
ok, I got the 1st one. For the second one, I did have the sign right, I just typed it wrong here. I still end up with an irrational quadratic equation.

It's nothing of the sort. I get one clean integer solution, the other rational but nonintegral solution is obviously inadmissible. Check your work again.

Last edited:
Hmm. One of my solutions was not an integer; it was rational, though.

I too get nice numbers. You can solve quite easily by first taking out tha factor of 4 and then writing 65 = 50 + 15.

recon said:
Hmm. One of my solutions was not an integer; it was rational, though.

Yeah, I mistyped that post, I've edited it.

hmmm I got 5. That seems to work. Thanks!

Wait a minute...where did 5 come from?

I got 5 too...and 50/3, which is inadmissible.

5 is right.

I can barely read my own handwriting...Sorry! :redface:

FAQ: Maximizing Volume of a Container Using Quadratic Equations

1. What is an integral quadratic?

An integral quadratic is a type of mathematical expression that involves both a variable and its square, such as 3x^2 + 2x + 1. It is also known as a quadratic polynomial or equation.

2. How do you solve an integral quadratic?

To solve an integral quadratic, you can use a variety of methods such as factoring, completing the square, or using the quadratic formula. These methods involve manipulating the equation in order to find the values of the variable that make the equation true.

3. What is the quadratic formula?

The quadratic formula is a mathematical formula used to solve quadratic equations. It is written as x = (-b ± √(b^2 - 4ac)) / 2a, where a, b, and c are the coefficients of the quadratic equation in the form ax^2 + bx + c = 0.

4. Can you solve an integral quadratic without using the quadratic formula?

Yes, it is possible to solve an integral quadratic without using the quadratic formula. As mentioned earlier, other methods such as factoring or completing the square can be used to solve these types of equations.

5. What are some real-life applications of solving integral quadratics?

Integral quadratics have many practical applications in fields such as physics, engineering, and finance. For example, they can be used to model the trajectory of a projectile, calculate the optimal dimensions of a structure, or determine the profit-maximizing price for a product.

Back