Solve Machines Problem: Ramp 18m Long & 4.5m High

• Thread starter aquamarine08
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Machines
In summary, the problem involves a 25-kg box being wheeled up a ramp with no friction. The goal is to find the ideal mechanical advantage (IMA) and mechanical advantage (MA) of the ramp. The formula for IMA is the input distance divided by the output distance, and for MA it is the distance the force is applied over divided by the distance the work is done. It is recommended to have a MA greater than 1 in order to do less work and move a heavy load a shorter distance.
aquamarine08
[SOLVED] Machines Problem

Homework Statement

A ramp, 18m long and 4.5m high is set up in order to wheel a 25-kg box at a constant speed. Assume that by wheeling it there is no friction.

Homework Equations

IMA= [tex]\frac{d_{in}}{d_{out}}[/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

I know this is a pretty simple problem but I don't know how to tell which distance is "in"and which is "out".

Please help, I can't find any sample problems in my book and we never got any practice in class...and I have a test tomorrow! :( Thank you.

Physics news on Phys.org
What are you trying to find out - what is the actual question ?

o, I am sorry, I have to find the IMA and MA... (ideal mechanical advantage and mechanical advantage).

Ok, I hadn't seen the acronym before.
Mechanical advantage is generally = distance you apply the force over / distance work is done.
So in an inclined plane = length of slope / height of slope
If there is no friction then Ideal MA would = MA

To work out which way up, you would generally want a MA > 1 so you do less work for a longer distance to move a heavy load a short distance.

ps. Although not always, high gear on a bike has fractional mechanical advantage so you apply a large force over a small diustance to move the bike wheel a large distance with low force.

Last edited:
ok thanks so much! :D

Related to Solve Machines Problem: Ramp 18m Long & 4.5m High

1. How do you calculate the slope of the ramp?

The slope of the ramp can be calculated by dividing the rise (4.5m) by the run (18m). This will give you a slope of approximately 0.25 or 25%.

2. What is the maximum weight the ramp can support?

The maximum weight the ramp can support will depend on several factors such as the material and structure of the ramp, the angle of the ramp, and the surface it is placed on. A higher slope will generally be able to support less weight. It is important to consult with a structural engineer to determine the maximum weight capacity of the specific ramp in question.

3. How can I ensure the ramp is safe to use?

To ensure the ramp is safe to use, it is important to follow proper construction guidelines and use sturdy materials. The ramp should also be regularly inspected and maintained to ensure it is in good condition. It is also important to consider the weight and balance of the objects being moved on the ramp.

4. Can the ramp be used for both loading and unloading?

Yes, the ramp can be used for both loading and unloading as long as it is properly constructed and maintained. It is important to make sure the ramp is stable and secure before using it for any purpose.

5. Are there any safety precautions I should take when using the ramp?

Yes, there are some safety precautions to take when using the ramp. These may include using wheel stops to prevent vehicles from rolling off, ensuring the ramp is properly secured and stable, and using proper lifting techniques when loading and unloading objects on the ramp.