Solve Mass & Energy Homework: Find Max Stretch & Amplitude

In summary, the conversation discusses solving for the maximum stretch and amplitude of vibration for a mass held by a vertical spring. The equations for potential and kinetic energy are provided, and the individual is seeking help with determining the unknowns. It is mentioned that the approach may differ depending on whether the spring is in equilibrium or oscillating. However, the focus is on finding the maximum stretch, not the equilibrium stretch.
Quantum Fizzics

Homework Statement

Hello, I'm having an issue with a question I have all the numbers and everything but I can't quite get the answer correctly and its very frustrating..

A mass, m is held at UEP of a vertical spring constant k & allowed to fall. Calculate:
a) The maximum stretch(max bottom)
b) The amplitude of vibration

Homework Equations

PEg + PEe + KE= PEg' +PEe'+ KE'
h = xo = mg/k

The Attempt at a Solution

I've solved the amplitude of vibration already I am just stuck at part a) I really do not know how start please help thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
You've quoted the right equations - just fill in the blanks: in terms of the desired unknown, what are the loss in gravitational PE, the gain in spring PE, and the change in KE?

about maximum stretch
I'm not sure but I think I think that depends on the spring ,,
If it is in equilibrium after falling we will use the laws of conservation of energy ,
If it is not "say it is oscillating" we shall use Newton second law , because in oscillation , we can't specify the final and initial positions of the string [it would go back farther than it's initial position when it's allowed to fall]

I'm I right ??

Maged Saeed said:
about maximum stretch
I'm not sure but I think I think that depends on the spring ,,
If it is in equilibrium after falling we will use the laws of conservation of energy ,
If it is not "say it is oscillating" we shall use Newton second law , because in oscillation , we can't specify the final and initial positions of the string [it would go back farther than it's initial position when it's allowed to fall]

I'm I right ??
No, it's not the stretch at equilibrium we want, it's the maximum stretch, and that occurs once in each oscillation.

Hello, it looks like you are trying to solve a problem involving a mass, a vertical spring, and potential and kinetic energy. To find the maximum stretch (or maximum displacement from equilibrium) of the spring, you can use the equation h = xo = mg/k. This equation represents the equilibrium position (xo) of the mass, which is determined by the downward force of gravity (mg) and the upward force of the spring (k). To find the maximum stretch, you can substitute the values for m and k into the equation and solve for h. Once you have the maximum stretch, you can use this value to determine the amplitude of vibration, which is half the maximum stretch. I hope this helps! If you are still having trouble, please provide more information about the specific numbers and values you are working with so I can offer more specific guidance.

Related to Solve Mass & Energy Homework: Find Max Stretch & Amplitude

1. How do I calculate the mass and energy in a system?

To calculate the mass and energy in a system, you will need to use the mass-energy equivalence formula, E=mc^2, where E represents energy, m represents mass, and c represents the speed of light. This formula states that energy and mass are equivalent and can be converted into one another.

2. How do I find the maximum stretch in a system?

To find the maximum stretch in a system, you will need to use the equations of motion. The maximum stretch occurs when the acceleration of the system is zero. Therefore, you can set the acceleration equal to zero and solve for the time at which this occurs. Then, plug this time into the equation for displacement to find the maximum stretch.

3. What is amplitude in relation to mass and energy?

Amplitude is a measure of the maximum extent of a vibration or oscillation. In terms of mass and energy, amplitude represents the maximum displacement or energy of a system. It is often used to describe the maximum stretch or oscillation of a system.

4. How does the mass and energy of a system affect its maximum stretch?

The mass and energy of a system do not have a direct effect on the maximum stretch. The maximum stretch is determined by the forces acting on the system and the system's initial conditions. However, the mass and energy of a system can affect the frequency and amplitude of the oscillations, which can indirectly impact the maximum stretch.

5. What are the units for mass and energy in the equations for maximum stretch and amplitude?

The units for mass and energy in the equations for maximum stretch and amplitude depend on the unit system being used. In the SI system, mass is measured in kilograms and energy is measured in joules. In the CGS system, mass is measured in grams and energy is measured in ergs. It is important to use consistent units throughout calculations.