Solve Physics Problem: Speed of Image Relative to Dubbie

• Thread starter Mekiel
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Light
In summary, the problem asks what the speed of the image of a receding object is relative to the original object. The answer is found by considering how the image moves in relation to its environment. The problem can be solved by decomposing the velocity of the image into parallel and normal components and solving for the relative speed of separation.
Mekiel
Hello everyone, I'm knew to this forum. I was wondering if someone could help me solve this physics problem. I've searched my textbook, the internet, and asked tons of people, but I still can't find an answer. Here's the question:

What is the speed of the image, relative to Dubbie, if Dubbie walk away from the mirror surface at 3.5 m/s at an angle of 30 degrees to the mirror surface?

Obviously there's a formula I need to use, but which formula is it?
:rolleyes:

Physics news on Phys.org
why wouldn't it be -3.5m/s

My apologies, I didn't notice the sticky about homework questions. I'll post this in the appropriate forum.

My apologies again.

Wouldn't the 30 degree angle make a difference in the speed? I mean, if it was just a flat/plane mirror, then I could see the speed being equal.

Welcome to PF, Mekiel. The 'speed' of the image will be the speed of light through whatever refractive indices are provided by the atmosphere and the material of the mirror.

Okay, so if the material is made of glass, and the atmosphere was oxygen, I would need to find the index of refraction for O2?

Danger said:
Welcome to PF, Mekiel. The 'speed' of the image will be the speed of light through whatever refractive indices are provided by the atmosphere and the material of the mirror.

i really think that has nothing to do with the problem

upon rereading the problem i think by symmetry alone you could reason that it's -7m/s

ice109 said:

upon rereading the problem i think by symmetry alone you could reason that it's -7m/s

So you have somehow managed to alter the speed of light from 300,000Km/sec to -7m/s? How'd you manage that? There might be a paper in the future.

Danger said:
So you have somehow managed to alter the speed of light from 300,000Km/sec to -7m/s? How'd you manage that? There might be a paper in the future.

the question asks what is the speed of the image's recession relative to the object not how fast does the movement's information propagate. obviously if i pull something along the normal away from a mirror at 3.5m/s its image is not receding from at c.

ice109 said:

edit: Somehow, my post pointing out that only 23% or so of the atmosphere is oxygen, and it's primarily nitrogen, disappeared.

edit #2: Ice, I think that I just realized the difference in our approach to the problem. I was considering how fast the image responds to movement of the original; you were dealing with how fast the image moves in relation to its environment. A subtle, yet critical, difference. By the way that you're approaching the problem, I agree with you.

Last edited:
3x10^5km/second eh? I reckon my car can go faster =p. It's a '92 honda accord by the way.

So, I've been further researching and have come across various formulae such as snell's law, critical angle, lens-marker's formula, but I don't know how to implement them or if they are even useful for solving this.

Could someone shed some "light" on this... Pardon the pun.

We tried to, from 2 different perspectives. Depending upon how you meant the queston, one of them answered it.
And a '92 Honda is not a car; it's a roller skate with delusions of grandeur.

Danger, Danger :rolleyes: :smile: But please remember this is now in the Homework help forum. :smile:

Ok, now for the problem. First start by drawing a picture.

Decompose D's velocity into components. One parallel to the mirror the other normal to the mirror. From the diagram you should see that the image of D will have the same velocity parallel to the mirror but will be receding "into" the mirror at the same rate but in the opposite direction that D is receding from the mirror.

I have given to much already.

If two objects are receeding from each other with a speed v their relative speed of separation would be 2v.

andrevdh said:
If two objects are receeding from each other with a speed v their relative speed of separation would be 2v.
That's where the 30 deg. angle comes in; v is a vector, not a speed (scalar). You need to consider vector arithmetic, as someone already hinted at above.

Last edited:
belliott4488 said:
That's where the 30 deg. angle comes in; v is a vector, not a speed (scalar). You need to consider vector arithmetic, as someone already hinted at above.

no you don't

edit

maybe you do, the question is very vague

Related to Solve Physics Problem: Speed of Image Relative to Dubbie

1. What is the formula for calculating the speed of an image relative to Dubbie?

The formula for calculating the speed of an image relative to Dubbie is v = (d1 + d2) / t, where v is the speed, d1 is the distance between the object and Dubbie, d2 is the distance between the image and Dubbie, and t is the time it takes for the image to travel from the object to Dubbie.

2. How do you determine the distance between the object and Dubbie?

The distance between the object and Dubbie can be determined using the formula d = vt, where d is the distance, v is the speed, and t is the time it takes for the object to travel from its original position to Dubbie.

3. Can you explain the concept of relative motion in this problem?

In this problem, relative motion refers to the motion of the image relative to Dubbie. It takes into account the motion of both the object and Dubbie, as well as the time it takes for the image to travel from the object to Dubbie. This allows us to calculate the speed of the image relative to Dubbie.

4. What is the significance of the time taken by the image to reach Dubbie?

The time taken by the image to reach Dubbie is an important factor in calculating its speed. It represents the duration of the image's journey from the object to Dubbie and is necessary for determining the overall speed of the image relative to Dubbie.

5. How does the distance between the image and Dubbie affect the overall speed of the image?

The distance between the image and Dubbie is directly proportional to the speed of the image. This means that as the distance increases, the speed of the image also increases. Therefore, a larger distance between the image and Dubbie will result in a higher speed of the image relative to Dubbie.