Solve RC Circuit 6V Battery, 1F Capacitor, 3 Resistors

In summary, after a long time, no current will flow through the branch containing the capacitor. The current will still flow through the resistors in parallel with the capacitor and can be calculated by ignoring the branch containing the capacitor.
meganterre
1. A 6V battery is connected to a 1F capacitor and 3 resistors (R1=1, R2=4, R3=2) R1 is is series with the battery. A junction then appears after R1, which creates 3 different paths, 2 for each remaining resistor, and another for the capacitor. After a long time, what is the magnitude of the current that runs through the battery? (i hope my description is ok, I have no picture)

2. V=IR

3. I keep reading that after a long time, when the capacitor has been fully charged, there is no current in the circuit. But I don't think this can apply when it is in parallel with 2 other resistors? Will the current stop in the path that leads to the capacitor, but will it continue to flow through the other resistors? I am confused on this aspect of the problem. I previously was trying to solve by saying that there are 2 charge sources when fully charged, so that the total V = 12V, and then I would calculate the current based off of total resistance. Can it be done this way? Any advice is greatly appreciated! Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
You are correct. After a period of time no current will flow through the capacitor. That line will be an open circuit.

meganterre said:
1. A 6V battery is connected to a 1F capacitor and 3 resistors (R1=1, R2=4, R3=2) R1 is is series with the battery. A junction then appears after R1, which creates 3 different paths, 2 for each remaining resistor, and another for the capacitor. After a long time, what is the magnitude of the current that runs through the battery? (i hope my description is ok, I have no picture)

2. V=IR

3. I keep reading that after a long time, when the capacitor has been fully charged, there is no current in the circuit. But I don't think this can apply when it is in parallel with 2 other resistors? Will the current stop in the path that leads to the capacitor, but will it continue to flow through the other resistors? I am confused on this aspect of the problem. I previously was trying to solve by saying that there are 2 charge sources when fully charged, so that the total V = 12V, and then I would calculate the current based off of total resistance. Can it be done this way? Any advice is greatly appreciated! Thanks!

After a very long time, there will be no current in the branch of teh circuit which contains the capacitor but current will still flow through the resistors which are in parallel with the capacitor. So basically, for the purpose of this question, simply ignore the branch that contains the capacitor. Then you simply have the three resistors.

ooook! thank you! makes much more sense now. you guys rock :smile:

1. What is an RC circuit?

An RC circuit is an electrical circuit that contains both a resistor (R) and a capacitor (C). These components are connected in series or in parallel and can be used to control the flow of electric current in the circuit.

2. How do I calculate the time constant of an RC circuit?

The time constant (τ) of an RC circuit can be calculated by multiplying the resistance (R) in ohms by the capacitance (C) in farads, using the formula τ = RC.

3. How do I solve for the voltage across the capacitor in an RC circuit?

The voltage across the capacitor (Vc) in an RC circuit can be calculated using the formula Vc = V0(1-e^(-t/RC)), where V0 is the initial voltage of the capacitor, t is the time in seconds, and RC is the time constant of the circuit.

4. What happens to the voltage and current in an RC circuit over time?

In an RC circuit, the voltage across the capacitor increases and the current decreases over time as the capacitor charges. Eventually, the voltage across the capacitor will reach the same value as the voltage of the battery, and the current will stop flowing.

5. How does adding resistors affect the charging time in an RC circuit?

Adding resistors to an RC circuit increases the time it takes for the capacitor to charge. This is because the resistance limits the flow of current in the circuit, slowing down the charging process.