Solve Sin^2 Tetherball: 3.8 m Rope & 5.6 m/s Velocity

• Thread starter tony873004
  • Start date
In summary, a problem with a tetherball on a 3.8 m rope moving at a velocity of 5.6 m/s can be solved by using the equations T*cos(theta) = mg and T*sin(theta) = (mv^2)/r. When rearranging the equations to solve for theta, the sin theta term is squared, leading to the correct answer of 48.4 degrees. This is because the radius of the circle is related to the length of the rope by r(circle) = r(rope)sin theta.
tony873004
Science Advisor
Gold Member
I'm working on the exact same problem described in this 3 year old thread:
https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=433104
except the length of my rope is 3.8 m and my velocity is 5.6 m/s.
A tetherball is on a rope 3.8 m long and moves in a circle with velocity 5.6 m/s. Solve for the angle the rope makes with the pole.

I follow the explanation in the old thread up to this point.

[tex]
\begin{array}{l}
\left( {\frac{{mv^2 }}{{r\sin \theta }}} \right)\cos \theta = mg \\
\\
\frac{{\cos \theta }}{{\sin ^2 \theta }} = \frac{{rg}}{{v^2 }} \\
\end{array}
[/tex]

When I rearrange the top expression into the bottom expression, I don't get sin^2. I just get sin. It becomes very simple to solve for θ at that point. How did sin end up getting squared?

My full attempt is this:
[tex]
\begin{array}{l}
T\cos \theta = mg \\
T\sin \theta = \frac{{mv^2 }}{r}\,\,\,\, \Rightarrow \,\,\,\,T = \frac{{mv^2 }}{{r\sin \theta }} \\
\frac{{mv^2 }}{{r\sin \theta }}\cos \theta = mg \\
\frac{{\sin \theta }}{{\cos \theta }} = \frac{{v^2 }}{{gr}} \\
\tan \theta = \frac{{v^2 }}{{gr}}\,\,\,\, \Rightarrow \,\,\,\,\theta = \tan ^{ - 1} \frac{{\left( {5.6\,{\rm{m/s}}} \right)^2 }}{{\left( {9.8\,{\rm{m/s}}^{\rm{2}} } \right)\left( {3.8\,{\rm{m}}} \right)}} = 40^\circ \\
\end{array}
[/tex]

The back of the book says 48.4 degrees.
When I continue the problem with the sin^2, I get the correct answer. The logic makes sense. But where did that extra sin come from?

Physics news on Phys.org
You used the length of the rope for r. Can you find the relationship between r and the length of the rope?

Last edited:
Thanks. I missed that! The earlier explanation used r for both rope length and radius. r = r sin theta -->> r(circle) = r(rope)sin theta.

Related to Solve Sin^2 Tetherball: 3.8 m Rope & 5.6 m/s Velocity

1. How do you solve for Sin^2 Tetherball?

To solve for Sin^2 Tetherball, you first need to understand the equations and variables involved. Sin^2 represents the sine function squared, which is a mathematical operation that applies to an angle within a right triangle. In this case, the angle is likely referring to the angle at which the tetherball is being hit. The velocity, or speed, of the tetherball and the length of the rope are also important factors. Once you have all of these variables, you can plug them into the appropriate equation to solve for Sin^2 Tetherball.

2. Why is the length of the rope important in solving for Sin^2 Tetherball?

The length of the rope is important because it affects the angle at which the tetherball will be hit. A longer rope will result in a larger angle, while a shorter rope will result in a smaller angle. This angle is a crucial component in the Sin^2 Tetherball equation, so it is important to have an accurate measurement of the rope length.

3. What is the significance of the velocity in solving for Sin^2 Tetherball?

The velocity, or speed, of the tetherball is important because it affects the overall force and trajectory of the ball. A higher velocity will result in a stronger and faster hit, while a lower velocity will result in a weaker and slower hit. This can impact the angle at which the tetherball is hit and ultimately affect the Sin^2 Tetherball calculation.

4. Can the Sin^2 Tetherball equation be used for other sports or activities?

Yes, the Sin^2 Tetherball equation can be applied to other sports or activities that involve hitting or throwing a ball at an angle. For example, it can be used in baseball or golf to calculate the trajectory of a ball being hit or thrown.

5. How accurate is the Sin^2 Tetherball equation in predicting the outcome of a game?

The accuracy of the Sin^2 Tetherball equation depends on the accuracy of the measurements and variables used in the calculation. If all of the factors are measured and recorded correctly, the equation can provide a fairly accurate prediction of the outcome of a game. However, there are other factors such as wind, surface conditions, and player skill that may also impact the outcome of a game.