Solve the Balance: Meter Stick Mass Calculation

In summary, to calculate the mass of an object using a meter stick, you need to measure the length and width of the object and use the formula mass = density x volume. The purpose of this calculation is to accurately determine the mass of an object using a widely available tool. Knowing an object's mass is important for understanding its behavior and for scientific calculations. However, a meter stick can only be used to measure the mass of objects with defined length and width. Potential sources of error when using a meter stick include inaccurate measurements and using incorrect values.
ah-huh
"A meter stick is found to balance at the 49.7cm mark when placed on a fulcrum. When a 50 gram mass is attached at the 10cm mark, the fulcrum must be moved to the 39.2 cm mark for balance. What is the mass of the meter stick?"

thats the question and the last one on my homework and its given me the u-know-what. I've tried workin it - one answer i got was 245g... but some reason i am quite sure its wrong.. so any hints or help would be greeeat :smile:

Physics news on Phys.org
Maybe you can describe your method?

Based on the information provided, we can use the principle of moments to solve for the mass of the meter stick. The principle of moments states that the sum of the moments on one side of a fulcrum must be equal to the sum of the moments on the other side for the system to be in equilibrium.

In this case, we can set up the equation as follows:

(49.7 cm - x) * m = (39.2 cm - 10 cm) * 50 g

Where:
- x is the distance from the fulcrum to the center of mass of the meter stick
- m is the mass of the meter stick

Solving for m, we get:

m = (39.2 cm - 10 cm) * 50 g / (49.7 cm - x)

Now, we know that the meter stick balances at the 49.7 cm mark when placed on the fulcrum, which means that the center of mass must be at the 49.7 cm mark. Therefore, x = 49.7 cm.

Substituting this value into the equation, we get:

m = (39.2 cm - 10 cm) * 50 g / (49.7 cm - 49.7 cm) = 245 g

Therefore, the mass of the meter stick is 245 g.

It is always a good idea to double check your calculations and make sure they make sense. In this case, we can see that the mass of the meter stick is significantly larger than the mass of the 50 g weight added to it, which makes sense since the fulcrum had to be moved closer to the weight to achieve balance.

Related to Solve the Balance: Meter Stick Mass Calculation

1. How do I calculate the mass of an object using a meter stick?

To calculate the mass of an object using a meter stick, you will need to measure the length and width of the object in meters using the meter stick. Then, using the formula mass = density x volume, you can calculate the volume of the object in cubic meters. Finally, by multiplying the volume by the density of the material, you can determine the mass of the object in kilograms.

2. What is the purpose of solving the balance: meter stick mass calculation?

The purpose of solving the balance: meter stick mass calculation is to accurately determine the mass of an object using a simple and widely available tool, the meter stick. This calculation is often used in scientific experiments and everyday applications such as cooking and construction.

3. What is the importance of knowing an object's mass?

Knowing an object's mass is important because it is a fundamental property of matter and can affect how the object behaves and interacts with its surroundings. Mass is also necessary for many scientific calculations and experiments, and is used in various industries such as engineering and manufacturing.

4. Can I use a meter stick to measure the mass of any object?

No, a meter stick can only be used to measure the mass of objects that have a defined length and width. It is not suitable for measuring the mass of liquids, gases, or objects with irregular shapes. In these cases, other tools such as scales or measuring cups should be used.

5. What are some potential sources of error when using a meter stick to calculate mass?

Some potential sources of error when using a meter stick to calculate mass include inaccurate measurements of the object's length and width, using the wrong formula for calculating volume, and using an incorrect density value. It is important to take precise measurements and use accurate values to minimize these errors.