Solving a DE: Variation of Parameters & Integration Issues

In summary, the conversation discusses solving a differential equation using variation of parameters. The speaker rearranges the equation and solves the homogeneous DE, then moves on to finding the particular solution. However, they encounter an algebra error when trying to find u'(x), which they go back to check multiple times.
Lancelot59
I've picked up a bit more since my last problem. I need to solve the following DE:
[tex]x^{2}\frac{dy}{dx}+x(x+2)y=e^{x}[/tex]

I decided to use variation of parameters, so I re-arranged it like so:
[tex]\frac{dy}{dx}=\frac{e^{x}}{x^{2}}-(1+\frac{2}{x})y[/tex]

Then solved the homogenous DE:
[tex]\frac{dy}{dx}=-(1+\frac{2}{x})y[/tex]
[tex]y=e^{-x}x^{-2}c[/tex]

Now for the particular solution:
[tex]y_{p}=u(x)e^{-x}x^{-2}c
[tex]\frac{dy}{dx}=u'(x)e^{-x}x^{-2}-u(x)e^{-x}x^{-2}-2u'(x)e^{-x}x^{-2}[/tex]

When I shoved this back in I wound up with this for u'(t):
[tex]u'(x)=e^{x}x^{-2}[/tex]

It seems...a bit strange. Did I mess up somewhere? It's a bit hard to integrate. I've gone over this several times already.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Looks to me like you have an algebra error somewhere. Doing exactly what you say, I get [itex]u'e^{-x}= e^x[/itex] or [itex]u'= e^{2x}[/itex].

what is u(t)?

u(t) is the unknown function, that when multiplied by the solution to the homogenous equation, gives you a particular solution to the DE. I forgot to put in the step where I set that part up. It should also be u(x). I'll try going over the algebra again.

1. What is the variation of parameters method for solving a differential equation?

The variation of parameters method is a technique used to solve a nonhomogeneous linear differential equation. It involves finding a particular solution by assuming it to be in the form of a linear combination of the solutions to the corresponding homogeneous equation.

2. When is the variation of parameters method most useful?

The variation of parameters method is most useful when the nonhomogeneous term in the differential equation is a function of the independent variable or when the nonhomogeneous term cannot be easily factored or integrated.

3. What are the main steps involved in using the variation of parameters method?

The main steps in using the variation of parameters method are: 1) Find the solutions to the corresponding homogeneous equation 2) Write the general solution to the homogeneous equation 3) Find the Wronskian of the solutions 4) Use the Wronskian to find the coefficients of the particular solution 5) Substitute the particular solution into the original equation and solve for the remaining unknown coefficients.

4. What are some common integration issues that may arise when using the variation of parameters method?

Some common integration issues that may arise when using the variation of parameters method include: 1) Dealing with improper integrals 2) Choosing the correct limits of integration 3) Remembering to add the arbitrary constant when integrating 4) Ensuring that the particular solution satisfies the original equation.

5. Can the variation of parameters method be used for all types of differential equations?

No, the variation of parameters method can only be used for nonhomogeneous linear differential equations. It cannot be used for nonlinear equations or equations with nonconstant coefficients.