Solving a Model Car Oscillation Question: Find Vmax & Velocity

In summary, the conversation discusses a sample exam question about a small model car hanging from an elastic spring in a car store. The model is oscillating 10 times per second with an amplitude of 0.02 m. The extension of the spring is calculated to be 0.4905 m and the maximum velocity at equilibrium is calculated to be either 1.26 m/s or 0.089 m/s. However, there is a discrepancy with the given data, as the frequency should be 0.7 s-1 instead of 10 s-1.
SaRaH...
We have been given this as a sample exam question.

For a car store a small model car (75kg) is hung from the ceiling. The model is hanging on an elastic spring with force constant 1500 N/m. The model is oscillating 10 times per second with an amplitude of 0.02 m. (Assume a zero-phase shift).

a) What is the initial extension of the spring?
b)Determine the velocity when the model passes through the equilibrium point.
c) What is the velocity when the model is -0.01 m from equilibrium and what direction has the velocity?mass = 75kg
force/weight = mg = 735.75N
k = 1500N
Amplitude = 0.02m
frequency = 10Hz

For part a) I have calculated, using the expression F = kx, that the extension of the spring (x) is 0.4905m.

For part b) I know that the maximum velocity will occur at equilibrium as this is where potential energy is 0 and there is maximum kinetic energy. Using the equation v=ωAcos(ωt) and the fact that the max. value of cos(ωt) = I have found that maximum velocity is v=ωA.
Should this be calculated using ω=2πf so that the solution is:

Vmax = ωA = 2πfA = 2π(10)(0.02) = 1.26 m/s

or should ω be calculated as ω=sqrt(k/m) so the solution is:

Vmax = ωA = sqrt(k/m)A = sqrt(1500/75)(0.02) = 0.089 m/s

Should these not give equivalent answers?

Also for part c) I have calculated the following:

x(t) = -0.01m v(t) = ?

-0.01 = Asin(ωt)
solving this for t gives t = 1/ωcos(sin^-1(-0.01/A))

Substituting this into the equation for velocity v=ωAcos(ωt) gives v = ωAcos(sin^-1(-0.01/A))

However to finish this I have the same problem as above in b).There is probably just something simple that I am overlooking and any help with this would be very much appreciated.
Thank You,
Sarah. :)

Physics news on Phys.org
The problem is overdetermined and the data are not consistent. With the given spring constant and mass, the frequency should be about 0.7 s-1 instead of 10.

ehild

1. What is Vmax?

Vmax is the maximum velocity or speed that the model car can reach during its oscillation.

2. How is Vmax calculated?

Vmax can be calculated by taking the amplitude of the oscillation and multiplying it by the frequency of the oscillation.

3. What is the importance of finding Vmax?

Finding Vmax allows us to understand the capabilities of the model car and how fast it can go during its oscillation. It also helps in predicting the performance of the car in different conditions.

4. How does the velocity of the model car change during its oscillation?

The velocity of the model car changes continuously during its oscillation. It starts from zero at the extremes of the oscillation and reaches its maximum value at the center point.

5. Can the Vmax of the model car be increased?

Yes, the Vmax of the model car can be increased by increasing the amplitude or frequency of the oscillation. However, it is important to consider the limitations of the car and ensure its safety before making any modifications.