Solving a Nitrogen Can Homework Statement

In summary, at 300 K, the pressure is 3.68x10^7 Pa less than at STP, and the volume is 2.73x10^-3 m3 less.
songoku

Homework Statement

A can filled with nitrogen has pressure 10 Pa, volume 10 cm3, and temperature 300 K.
(i) Find the volume at STP
(ii) Find the mass of the nitrogen
(iii) Find the change of pressure over temperature at 300 K
(iv) Find the energy of each molecule of nitrogen

Homework Equations

PV = nRT

The Attempt at a Solution

(i)
[tex]\frac{P_1 V_1}{P_2 V_2}=\frac{n_1 R T_1}{n_2 R T_2}[/tex]

Assuming n1=n2 : ------> Is this right ?

[tex]\frac{10*10}{10^5*V_2}=\frac{300}{273}[/tex]

[tex]V_2=2.73 x 10^{-3}\; m^3[/tex](ii)
P1V 1= nRT1
10*10-5=n *8.31* 300
n = 4.011 x 10-8 mole

m = n*Mr = 4.011 x 10-8*28 = 1.12308 x 10-6(iii) Is the question asking the change at 300 K compared to STP ?

[tex]\frac{\Delta P}{\Delta T}=\frac{P_2-P_1}{V_2-V_1}=\frac{10-10^5}{10^{-5}-2.73 x 10^{-3}}\approx 3.68 x 10^7 \frac{Pa}{m^3}[/tex] ??(iv)
[tex]E=\frac{3}{2}nRT[/tex]

Not sure about using T = 300 K or T = 273 K (STP)

Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
(i) Incorrect input value for volume - should be in m3. Also, the value "2.73" is suspicious. The ratio 300/273 is close to one and the other side is all powers of 10.

(ii) Mass calculation looks OK, but no units are given.

(iii) Method OK but calculation needs to be redone because it depends on answer in (i).

(iv) 300 K is not much different from 273 K. Expression is incorrect. You are asked to find the energy per molecule, not the total energy.

Hi kuruman

I've revised my answer for the (i), (ii), and (iii) according to your correction :)

For the last one :

[tex]\text{Energy per molecule}=\frac{3}{2}\frac{nRT}{N_A} ??[/tex]

where NA = Avogadro's constant

Thanks

For the total energy of an ideal gas, I prefer the form

[tex]E = \frac{3}{2}N k T[/tex]

where N is the number of molecules and k the Boltzmann constant. Then the energy per molecule is simply
[tex]\epsilon = \frac{3}{2}k T[/tex]

Hi kuruman

Ok I get it now.

Thanks a lot for your help :smile:

What is the purpose of solving a nitrogen can homework statement?

The purpose of solving a nitrogen can homework statement is to understand the principles and equations involved in the process of pressurizing and depressurizing a can filled with nitrogen gas. This task allows scientists to apply theoretical knowledge to real-world scenarios and improve their problem-solving skills.

What are the key steps involved in solving a nitrogen can homework statement?

The key steps involved in solving a nitrogen can homework statement include identifying the relevant equations, understanding the variables and their relationships, setting up the problem, solving for the desired quantity, and checking the answer for accuracy.

What are some common challenges when solving a nitrogen can homework statement?

Some common challenges when solving a nitrogen can homework statement include understanding the underlying concepts, identifying the correct equations to use, and properly setting up the problem. In addition, errors in calculations or units can also pose challenges when trying to find the correct solution.

How can one check the accuracy of their solution when solving a nitrogen can homework statement?

To check the accuracy of their solution, one can compare it to the expected result, use significant figures to ensure the correct number of digits, and double-check the units to make sure they are consistent throughout the calculations.

What are some real-world applications of solving a nitrogen can homework statement?

Solving a nitrogen can homework statement has real-world applications in industries such as food packaging, where nitrogen gas is used to preserve the freshness of products. It is also used in scuba diving, where nitrogen gas is used in diving tanks to allow for longer dives at greater depths. Understanding the principles involved in pressurizing and depressurizing a nitrogen can is also important in the aerospace industry for the design and operation of pressurized cabins in airplanes and spacecraft.