Solving a Physics Problem: Ball A & B on a Wire

In summary, the problem involves a 3kg ball and a 1kg ball colliding on a bent frictionless wire. Using conservation of momentum and energy, the speed of ball A after the collision is 2.95 m/s and the speed of ball B is 8.85 m/s. The height that ball B will rise on the other side of the wire is 4.0m.
Brian Earley
I had this problem on a quiz today and I got 4.05m. I'm not sure if this is right though, can anyone verify this?

A 3kg ball is situated on a bent frictionless wire at A as shown below (I hope this shows up) and a 1 kg ball is situated at B. After the two balls collide, how far does ball B rise up the other side of the wire? The height of A is 1.8m.

--A--
-----\
------\---------------/
-------\------------ /
--------\---------- /
---------\-------- /
----------\__B__/

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Conserve momentum in the collision to find the velocity of ball b. You should see that it is 3 times slower than ball A.

The kinetic energy ball A gains from falling will be the same as the kinetic energy lost by ball B by climbing the ramp.

I solved it and got 4.05m, I just don't know whether or not its right.

As much as I hate to bump threads...

I thought this was a simple problem, but does no one know for sure? I'm pretty sure between 3.9 and 4.05 is right, I just need some verification, because no one else got what I got.

You can't assume the first ball will stop. Use the initial potential energy to find the speed and so kinetic energy and momentum of the first ball just before the collision. Use conservation of momentum and energy to find the speed of both balls just after the collision. Use conservation of energy to find how high the second ball goes.

I don't assume anything. I got that the speed of the first ball after the collision is 2.95 m/s and the speed of the second is 8.9 m/s. I just don't know whether or not my numbers are correct.

Is there a reason why he can't assume hte ball will stop? Its just a simple conservation of momentum in an elastic collision. If you found the speed of the ball before impact, use [tex] m_1v_1 = m_2v_2 [/tex] to find the velocity of the second ball. Calculate the second ball's kinetic energy, which will all be lost to potential energy.

[tex] KE = PE, \frac{mv^2}{2} = mgh [/tex]

Solve that for h, and you should be able to find how high the second ball will climb.

whozum said:
Is there a reason why he can't assume hte ball will stop?
Yeah. Because it doesn't. :P

Why not! How do you know how much energy was transferred?

Because
1: [tex] p_i = p_f [/tex]
2: [tex] (3kg)(5.9m/s) = 3v_1_f + v_2_f [/tex]

And, in an elastic collision
3: [tex] v_1_i - v_2_i = -v_1_f + v_2_f [/tex]
4: [tex] 5.9m/s - 0m/s = -v_1_f + v_2_f [/tex]
5: [tex] 5.9m/s + v_1_f = v_2_f [/tex]

Now I replaced the [tex] v_2_f [/tex] in line 2 with the work in line 5.

6: [tex] (3kg)(5.9m/s) = 3v_1_f + 5.9m/s + v_1_f [/tex]
7: [tex] 11.8 = 4v_1_f [/tex]
8: [tex] v_1_f = 2.95m/s [/tex]
9: [tex] v_2_f = 8.85m/s [/tex]

So the speed of ball one after the collision is 2.95 m/s. It does still move.

Now for the rest of my work so someone might verify it...

Line 9 is rearranging of [tex] mgh = 1/2mv^2[/tex]
10: [tex] v_f^2 = v_i^2 + 2gh [/tex]
11: [tex] (-8.85m/s)^2 = 2(-9.8)h [/tex]
12: [tex] h = 4.0 [/tex]

Last edited:

Related to Solving a Physics Problem: Ball A & B on a Wire

1. How do I determine the tension in the wire when Ball A and Ball B are on it?

The tension in the wire can be determined using Newton's second law, which states that the net force on an object is equal to its mass multiplied by its acceleration. In this case, the only forces acting on the balls are the tension in the wire and the weight of the balls. By setting the net force equal to the weight of the balls, you can solve for the tension in the wire using the equation T = mg, where T is the tension, m is the mass of the balls, and g is the acceleration due to gravity.

2. What is the difference between the tension in the wire when Ball A is at rest and when it is moving?

When Ball A is at rest, the tension in the wire is equal to the weight of the ball. However, when the ball is in motion, there is an additional force acting on it - the centripetal force. This force is directed towards the center of the circular motion and is equal to the mass of the ball multiplied by its centripetal acceleration. Therefore, the tension in the wire when the ball is in motion will be greater than when it is at rest.

3. How do I calculate the acceleration of Ball B along the wire?

The acceleration of Ball B along the wire can be calculated using Newton's second law. The net force acting on Ball B is equal to the tension in the wire minus the weight of the ball. By setting this net force equal to the mass of the ball multiplied by its acceleration, you can solve for the acceleration using the equation a = (T - mg)/m.

4. Does the length of the wire affect the motion of the balls?

Yes, the length of the wire does affect the motion of the balls. The longer the wire, the greater the distance the balls have to travel, which means they will take longer to complete one full revolution. This will result in a lower centripetal acceleration and a lower tension in the wire. On the other hand, a shorter wire will result in a higher centripetal acceleration and a higher tension in the wire.

5. How can I determine the minimum speed of Ball A required for Ball B to stay on the wire?

The minimum speed of Ball A can be determined using the concept of centripetal force. In order for Ball B to stay on the wire, the tension in the wire must be equal to or greater than the weight of the ball. By setting the centripetal force equal to the weight of Ball B, you can solve for the minimum speed using the equation v = √(rg), where v is the minimum speed, r is the radius of the circular motion, and g is the acceleration due to gravity.