Solving a System of Equations for Internal Forces at E

In summary, someone's trying to solve a problem involving shear/moment diagrams, but keeps getting incorrect solutions. They say that their equations are correct, but their solutions don't agree with the relevant equations. They say that their problem just pops up when they try to solve for each unknown, and that if anyone can help them see where they went wrong, they would be grateful.
Vidatu

Homework Statement

The question is asking for the internal forces at E, but I get stuck solving the external reactions. After that, I can do it, and have, using electronically generated results. I just get stuck solving the system of equations I get after doing the determinant equations.

We ignore the reactions at E. Those will be applied in the next step, where I find the internal forces there. I just drew them into help me remember where they are, and to visualize the problem.

The moment occurring between O and C has a magnitude of 300 kNm, and acts in the k direction.

scan0006.jpg

Homework Equations

[tex] \Sigma M_x = A_z + 0.4B_z - 0.75C_y - 5 = 0[/tex]
[tex] \Sigma M_y = A_z + 0.75C_x = 0[/tex]
[tex] \Sigma M_z = -A_y - 0.4B_x - 10 = 0[/tex]
[tex] \Sigma F_x = C_x + B_x + +7 = 0[/tex]
[tex] \Sigma F_y = C_y + A_y - 12 = 0[/tex]
[tex] \Sigma F_z = B_z + A_z - 5 = 0[/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

I tried it for two different unknowns, and both times it didn't work. Sorry for the poor images; I did the work in pencil, and it wouldn't scan very well.

scan0004.jpg

scan0007.jpg

Here are the real answers, and when I put my equations into a computer, it solves them and gets these. As such, I know my equations are correct. My problem just pops up when I try and solve for each unknown. If anyone could help me see where I went wrong, I'd be very grateful to them.

ans.jpg

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
So no one's able to help with this? Its driving me crazy; I've done the work on this four or five times now, and have gotten everything else I need for the question done already.

Strongly tempted to just say that I used a computer to solve the system, as that isn't even the main point of the problem .

Perhaps the reason that nobody has been able to help was that there were no question anywhere.

Um, I'd have thought I made it clear that I would like someone to check my work, to see if they could spot any errors. I wasn't just posting this for fun.

Some reading comprehension skills may benefit you.

Thankfully, my comprehension skills do not extend to reading nonsense. But your manners could do with some improving. I was only trying to help. I'll ignore your tone this time.

Ask other people if they have had the patience to go through your messy diagram.

I don't want to get in a fight, so I apologize. However, I do feel that you were overly snippy earlier.

Also, my diagram. is fine. Neatness is not a requisite for proficiency, nor is the diagram important in this case. As I said, I'm sure the formulas are correct, and I wrote them in digitally.

In any case, this isn't helping anyone. If you can see my problem, please point it out. If not, have a good day and leave me and my drawings alone.

No need to fight folks :) why don't we fight the problem :)

could you make a better draw vidatu? cause i as well have a lil problem reading your draw

newimage-1.jpg

Hm. I had the arrows going the wrong way when I first uploaded this. All better now.

Last edited:
Hey Vidatu,

I can assure you that I had absolutely no intention of being snippy. If I made you feel bad, I’m sorry. Let’s forget all this.

And this diagram is fantastic.

No problem. I've had a long day of solving shear/moment diagrams, and should probably go to bed soon. I guess I'm not in the best of moods.

So, anyway, can anyone see where I messed up?

Last edited:
Vidatu said:

Homework Equations

[tex] \Sigma M_x = A_z + 0.4B_z - 0.75C_y - 5 = 0[/tex]
[tex] \Sigma M_y = A_z + 0.75C_x = 0[/tex]
[tex] \Sigma M_z = -A_y - 0.4B_x - 10 = 0[/tex]
[tex] \Sigma F_x = C_x + B_x + +7 = 0[/tex]
[tex] \Sigma F_y = C_y - A_y - 12 = 0[/tex]
[tex] \Sigma F_z = B_z - A_z - 5 = 0[/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

Here are the real answers, and when I put my equations into a computer, it solves them and gets these. As such, I know my equations are correct. My problem just pops up when I try and solve for each unknown. If anyone could help me see where I went wrong, I'd be very grateful to them.

[tex]
\bmatrix A_y \\ A_z \\ B_x \\ B_z \\ C_x \\ C_y \endbmatrix =
\bmatrix -53.60 \\ 87.00 \\ 109.00 \\ -82.00 \\ -116.00 \\ 65.60 \endbmatrix
\;\text{kN}
[/tex]

Those solutions don't agree with the relevant equations. Look at the expressions for [itex]\sum F_y[/itex] and [itex]\sum F_z[/itex] with those numbers. Either these numbers or your equations are incorrect.

Um, yeah. That's because I messed up typing in the equations. I've fixed that now.

Related to Solving a System of Equations for Internal Forces at E

1. What is a system of equations?

A system of equations is a set of two or more equations with multiple variables that need to be solved simultaneously in order to find the values of those variables.

2. How do I solve a system of equations?

There are several methods for solving a system of equations, including substitution, elimination, and graphing. The most appropriate method depends on the specific equations in the system and the number of variables involved.

3. Why is it important to solve a system of equations?

Solving a system of equations allows us to find the values of multiple variables and understand the relationships between them. This is useful in various fields such as science, engineering, and economics.

4. Are there any tips for solving a system of equations?

Some helpful tips for solving a system of equations include identifying any patterns or relationships between the equations, isolating a variable by using addition or subtraction, and checking the solutions to ensure they satisfy all of the equations in the system.

5. Can a system of equations have more than one solution?

Yes, a system of equations can have one, no, or infinite solutions. It depends on the specific equations and their relationships to each other. For example, two parallel lines will not intersect and therefore have no solution, while two identical lines will have an infinite number of solutions.