Solving an AS Physics Problem: Steel & Brass Extension

In summary, the question asks for the total extension produced when a force of 80 N is applied to a combination of steel and brass wires suspended from a fixed support. The individual properties of the wires (length, cross-sectional area, and Young's modulus) are given, and the formula for strain is provided. To find the total extension, calculate the strain for each wire and add them together.
chaz699
hello, i am currently going over past exam questions to further my knowledge in as physics when i came across this old question which i don't quite understand,

a length of steel and a length of brass are joined together. This combination is suspended from a fixed support and a force of 80n is applied at the bottom end

each wire has a cross scetional area of 2.4 x 10(-6)m(squared)

length of steel wire = 0.80m
length of brass wire = 1.40m
youngs modulas for steel = 2.0 x 10(11)pa
youngs modulas for brass = 1.0 x 10(11)pa

calculate the total extension produced when the force 80n is applied

basically so far I've substituted stress to be 80n/2.4 x 10(-6)

but I am not sure about the change in length on the strain side of things

someone help?

Physics news on Phys.org
If this is not a calculus-based question, then the answer is simple: the total extension is the sum of the individual extension with 80 N applied.

This ignores the fact that the upper portions of wire will have to include the weight of the lower portions (in addition to the 80 N). This means you'd need to integrate the strain over the length of the wire.

Two reasons why I don't think that's required: on first glance this additional weight is insignificant (very thin wires), and they don't specify which wire is above the other.

So I'm thinking it's the simpler solution. Find the strain of each and apply it to the original length of each to find the extension of each, then add them.

but how do i find the strain on each with the information given

chaz699 said:
but how do i find the strain on each with the information given

[tex]E=\sigma/\epsilon[/tex],

where [tex]E[/tex] is YM, [tex]\sigma[/tex] is stress, and [tex]\epsilon[/tex] is strain.

and strain is the ratio of change in length over initial length, ∆L/L

Related to Solving an AS Physics Problem: Steel & Brass Extension

1. What is the difference between steel and brass?

Steel and brass are both common materials used in engineering and construction. Steel is an alloy of iron and carbon, while brass is an alloy of copper and zinc. Steel is known for its strength and durability, while brass is more malleable and has a lower melting point.

2. How do you calculate the extension of steel and brass?

The extension of a material can be calculated using the formula ΔL = FL/AE, where ΔL is the change in length, F is the applied force, A is the cross-sectional area, and E is the Young's modulus of the material. The values for A and E can be found in reference tables.

3. What is the significance of solving an AS Physics problem for steel and brass extension?

Solving AS Physics problems for steel and brass extension is important because it allows us to understand how materials behave under different forces and conditions. This knowledge is essential for designing and constructing structures that are safe and efficient.

4. How does temperature affect the extension of steel and brass?

Temperature can significantly affect the extension of steel and brass. As temperature increases, the molecules in the material vibrate more and the bonds between them become weaker, causing the material to expand. This can be accounted for by using the coefficient of thermal expansion in the extension formula.

5. What are some real-world applications of steel and brass extension?

The understanding of steel and brass extension is used in a variety of real-world applications, such as in the design of buildings and bridges, the manufacturing of machinery and tools, and in the automotive and aerospace industries. It is also important in understanding the behavior of materials in extreme conditions, such as during earthquakes or at high temperatures.