Solving an difficult inequality

• Thread starter pinodk
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Inequality
In summary, the conversation discusses the use of Newton's method to show convergence of a function towards a solution in a certain interval. The function is f(x)=x/8+arctg(x) and the inequality to be solved is |xk-xk+1| < 2xk. The speaker rearranges the inequality to get x < tan{x(x²+17)/8(x²+1)} and uses graphmatica to plot the functions y = tan{x(x²+17)/8(x²+1)} and y = x to find a solution for x < 1.829. They express frustration with not thinking of rearranging the expression sooner.
pinodk
Ill take it from the top :smile: please excuse me for any misspellings.

In Numerical analysis, I have to show that a function only converges towards a solution in a certain interval.
The function is

f(x)=x/8+arctg(x)

Im using Newtons method, i.e.

xk+1 = xk - f(x)/f'(x)

And i know it will converge if I am in an interval that satisfies

|xk-xk+1| < 2xk

I then use that

f(x)/f'(x) < 2xk

giving me

1+8*arctg(x)/x
--------------- < 2
1+8/1+x^2

My problem is now how to solve this inequality, I'm trying with mathematica, but i can't make it work :cry:
Its not important how I solve it, i just need a solution, and guidelines to finding it...
Anyone up for the task?

Physics news on Phys.org
I rearranged your inequality to get,

x < tan{x(x²+17)/8(x²+1)}

I plotted y = tan{x(x²+17)/8(x²+1)} and y = x using graphmatica and I got y = x < y = tan{x(x²+17)/8(x²+1)} for x < 1.829 (approx.)

Attachments

• inequality.jpg
    inequality.jpg
    22.3 KB · Views: 317
Last edited:
Thanks!
Sometimes I hate myself :-(
The problem for mathematica is obviously the arctg expression, so y the h*** didnt i think of reaaranging it...
i will go do that now... thanks man!

What is an inequality?

An inequality is a mathematical statement that compares two quantities using an inequality symbol, such as <, >, ≤, or ≥. It indicates that one quantity is greater than, less than, or equal to the other.

What makes an inequality difficult to solve?

An inequality is considered difficult to solve when it involves multiple variables, has a complex expression, or has multiple steps to solve. It may also be difficult if it has a solution set that is not immediately obvious.

What strategies can be used to solve a difficult inequality?

There are several strategies that can be used to solve a difficult inequality, including isolating the variable, using algebraic properties to simplify the expression, and graphing the inequality to visually determine the solution set.

Why is it important to check the solution to an inequality?

It is important to check the solution to an inequality because sometimes the solution may be outside of the given domain or may result in a false statement. Checking the solution ensures that the correct answer is obtained.

How can I improve my skills in solving difficult inequalities?

To improve your skills in solving difficult inequalities, it is important to practice and review different types of inequalities, understand the properties and rules of algebra, and use multiple strategies to solve them. Seeking help from a tutor or instructor can also be beneficial.