Solving an Inclined Plane Problem: Help for Neil

In summary, The problem is to find the acceleration of a block down an inclined plane with a frictional force of 10 N pointing up and parallel to the plane. The plane has an incline of 40 degrees from the horizontal and the mass of the block is not provided. The equations used to solve this problem include F=ma, Fy=0, Fgy+Fn=0, Fgy=Fn, Fgx+Ff=ma, Fgx=FgCosθ, Fgy=FgSinθ, and µ=Tanθ. After attempting to solve the problem, the answer of 12.79 m/s2 was found, but further research showed that it was incorrect and the problem may not be solvable
Neilthe4th
Hello, My name is Neil I'm a high school senior in AP Physics C, I'm still taking Pre-Calculus (I know my counselors aren't the brightest) and I'm having trouble with this problem.

Homework Statement

Find the acceleration of the block down the plane.

I have a picture with a block on an inclined plane with a force vector of frictional force pointing up and parallel to the plane of 10 N

Also, the degree of incline on the plane is 40 degrees from the horizontal

The mass is not provided.

Homework Equations

F=ma
Fy=0
Fgy+Fn=0
Fgy=Fn

Fgx+Ff=ma

Fgx=FgCosθ
Fgy=FgSinθ

µ=Tanθ

The Attempt at a Solution

I have tried setting Ff equal to Fnµ and using it to plug in FgSinθ so that in the equation

(mgSinθTanθ+mgCosθ)/m=a

the m get's crossed out since it is in all of the terms, with this I got

12.79 m/s2

But since I'm never too sure of myself I researched the problem on line and found this
http://www.education.com/study-help/article/inclined-planes1/

which has all of the solutions for what I'm trying to solve. Which let me know that my answer is erroneous. I'd like to know how to solve it, or what did I miss about the problem?

Physics news on Phys.org
I'll go out on a limb & say it's not solvable unless the coefficient of dynamic friction is given.

Nah, it's not given.

Related to Solving an Inclined Plane Problem: Help for Neil

1. How do I calculate the force of gravity on an inclined plane?

To calculate the force of gravity on an inclined plane, you will need to know the mass of the object on the plane and the angle of the incline. You can then use the formula Fg = mgcosθ, where Fg is the force of gravity, m is the mass, and θ is the angle of the incline in degrees.

2. How do I determine the normal force on an object on an inclined plane?

The normal force is the force exerted by the surface on the object perpendicular to the surface. On an inclined plane, the normal force is equal to the component of the force of gravity that is perpendicular to the plane. This can be calculated using the formula Fn = mgsinθ, where Fn is the normal force, m is the mass, and θ is the angle of the incline in degrees.

3. What is the relationship between the angle of the incline and the frictional force?

The frictional force is the force that opposes the motion of an object on a surface. On an inclined plane, the frictional force is directly proportional to the angle of the incline. This means that as the angle of the incline increases, the frictional force also increases.

4. How do I calculate the net force on an object on an inclined plane?

The net force on an object on an inclined plane is the sum of all the forces acting on the object. This includes the force of gravity, the normal force, and the frictional force. The net force can be calculated using the formula Fnet = Fg + Fn + Ff, where Fnet is the net force, Fg is the force of gravity, Fn is the normal force, and Ff is the frictional force.

5. How can I use the net force to determine the acceleration of an object on an inclined plane?

The net force and the acceleration of an object on an inclined plane are directly proportional. This means that as the net force increases, the acceleration also increases. You can use the formula Fnet = ma, where Fnet is the net force, m is the mass, and a is the acceleration, to calculate the acceleration of an object on an inclined plane.