Solving an RC Circuit: Find Time to Reach 65% of Max Value

In summary, the conversation discusses an RC circuit with known values of EMF, resistance, and capacitance. The question asks for the time it takes for the energy stored in the capacitor to reach 65% of its maximal value. Using the equation q(t) = Q(1 - e-t/RC), the value of t is found to be 0.0598 seconds.
Parad0x88

Homework Statement

An RC circuit has EMF=12.0V, R=15 kΩ and C=3.8 μF. How long does it take for energy stored in the capacitor to reach 65% of its maximal value?

Homework Equations

1) Q = Cε
2) Q X .65 = desired charge
3) q(t) = Q(1 - e-t/RC)

The Attempt at a Solution

This is fairly straightforward to be honest, but I just don't know how to isolate for t in formula 3.

1) Q = 12v X 3.8μf = 4.56 X 10-5 C
2) Q X .65 = 4.56 X 10-5 C X .65 = 2.964 X 10-5
3) q(t) = 2.964 X 10-5(1 - e-t/0.057)

First question: Is that how I have to write down the formula with the known values?
Second question: How do I isolate for t?

Thank you!

Edit: Here is what I found by browsing on the Internet:

0.65Q = Q(1 - e-t/RC, or 0.65 = 1 - e-t/RC
-.35 = -e-t/RC
.35 = e-t/RC
ln .35 = -t/RC
t = -ln(.35) * RC
t = 1.0498 * 0.057
t = 0.0598 seconds

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org

Deleted as you found the answer.

Related to Solving an RC Circuit: Find Time to Reach 65% of Max Value

1. How do I calculate the time to reach 65% of maximum value in an RC circuit?

The time to reach 65% of maximum value in an RC circuit can be calculated using the formula t = RC ln(1/1-0.65), where R is the resistance in ohms and C is the capacitance in farads.

2. What is an RC circuit and how does it work?

An RC circuit is a circuit that consists of a resistor (R) and a capacitor (C) connected in series or parallel. It works by allowing a voltage or current to pass through the circuit, with the capacitor acting as a temporary energy storage device and the resistor controlling the rate of energy flow.

3. Can the time to reach 65% of maximum value be affected by changing the resistance or capacitance?

Yes, the time to reach 65% of maximum value can be affected by changing the resistance (R) or capacitance (C) in the RC circuit. As the resistance increases, the time to reach 65% of maximum value also increases. Similarly, as the capacitance increases, the time to reach 65% of maximum value decreases.

4. Are there any practical applications of solving an RC circuit?

Yes, there are many practical applications of solving an RC circuit. Some examples include timing circuits in electronic devices, smoothing power supply voltages, and creating filters in audio and video systems.

5. What is the significance of reaching 65% of maximum value in an RC circuit?

Reaching 65% of maximum value in an RC circuit is significant because it represents the time it takes for the capacitor to charge or discharge to the majority of its maximum value. This value is often used as a measure of the time constant of the circuit, which can be used to predict the behavior of the circuit over time.